Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158857 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:06 pm »

the wall's not too bad if you've got enough rockets.
Rockets? All I was using was rockets! Is this supposed to happen ???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even on easy, those hell knights take 2 or 3 rockets before going down, and there were 10 all spread out, doing 30% damage every turn...maybe I just got unlucky.

Breaking through the top would definitely be better - there would be a smaller gap for them to go through and less of them to deal with at a time.

I found the hell knights only took 1 or 2 hits on easy and I would hit about 3 a turn because of the splash damage.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2008, 12:01:07 pm »

When I did it on NTR, I just sat there firing rockets at them blindly until I ran out, went behind the wall, saw that everything was dead, and grabbed the FABULOUS PRIZES. You must have just had bad luck.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:37 pm »

I tried the wall, but died because I kept missing until they were right next to me. The splash damage would have killed me if I fired directly at them, or done little damage and pushed them closer if I fired at a nearby wall. I've beaten it in previous games though, and the backpack is excellent for carrying lots of chaingun/plasma rifle ammo.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:36 pm »

There's a backpack!!  Where where where!! I never found one before!  I need them backpack!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 08:50:22 pm »

Only one place in the game:  The Wall.

Bit of a pisser, since I really could've used that ammunition boost for my gunslin-ehh, "Angel of Marksmanship".  And since they can't use rocket launchers, the only way of getting through The Wall would have to be somehow finding the Anti-Freak Jackal before then.  But I don't even know if that would work.

Oh, and the enemies wouldn't be that big of a deal.  If you've got a high-level AoM, some halfway-decent equipment and a lot of bullets, you're actually pretty damn tough.  I could kill Hell Knights on NTR with about four hits.  And I didn't even have one of them shiny artifact pistols.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2008, 10:43:37 pm »

I thought you could just wait for the Hell Knights/Barons of Hell to break through the wall with their plasma blasts? Even if they don't, there would still be a down stairs in the starting area, so you wouldn't get trapped there or anything. Although even if they got through to you, there would still be the problem with killing them all armed with a pistol... someone needs to go test this...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:17 pm »

When I played Angel of Berserk I went to the Wall and sat there for over 1000 turns and nobody shot through the wall, so I just left and died somewhere else.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12:55 pm »

Yeah I just tested it myself, you need a rocket launcher or another source of explosions to do anything at The Wall.

Also - since it was a temporary file, just to look at one level more closely, I kept the chainsaw in my off-hand slot, just for fun, and it turned out to be surprisingly effective, especially in maze levels.

And since they can't use rocket launchers, the only way of getting through The Wall would have to be somehow finding the Anti-Freak Jackal before then.  But I don't even know if that would work.

Well according to the wiki, the Anti-Freak Jackal fires bullets that explode in a 1-tile radius, so you should be able to break through the wall if you found it, unless it acts differently from all the other explosives in the game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:19:22 pm by Skynet 2.0 »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »

That sounds like it works like the Railgun. The Railgun makes purty holes in walls, so I' expect that'd do it.

Also, I must second the whole endorsement of pistol-packin' as being pretty nasty with all the right traits. Though I find it somewhat interesting that it means I drool over basically no weapon enhancements except Magazine... although, there as that last time when I managed to get the Wizkid trait... /sigh

Also: in re: the Wall... the first time or two I went there I didn't see the point since there was no loot. I mean, it sucked. I went in, blew a hole in the Wall, wasted I-don't-know-how-many rockets killing the locals, and when I finally got to the scorched, entrail-stained back of the level, there was nothing there.

(Which is to say, make sure you're a careful shot if you're using rockets to greet the Welcome Wagon...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:29:51 pm by E. Albright »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 03:19:51 pm »

I don't think the reward is worth it.

When I see the Wall I go,

"Hey look!  A level skip pass!"

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2009, 12:56:47 am »

My latest run, a melee-only character:

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WARNING - MASSIVE (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:48 am »

Ahhh yes my Angel of Berserk likes that MASSIVE SPOILER.

I always die though.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »

Melee characters are really hard in the beginning, but get easier later on as you get better melee weapons. I don't like to do Angel of Berserk for that reason, I prefer to start out with ranged weapons until I get the chainsaw and some good armor, and just take the relevant traits while I'm making my way to the Chained Court.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2009, 04:40:12 pm »

Yes and the RNG likes spawing 5 sergeants on level 2!   >:(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2009, 04:57:55 pm »

I managed to find the Butcher's Cleaver on level 2 or 3 as an AoB.  I managed to make it farther than any other berserker I'd ever played before, but I still got creamed.  Goddamn shotguns...

But it did give me an idea...  I've got a copy of Doom 3 back home, and I was wondering how it would be to cheat in the beginning and give yourself a chainsaw and the soul cube.  See how far you can get using just those two.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 102