Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159106 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:22 am »

Also, the alternative fire method for the Rocket launcher is the Rocket Jump. You shoot the rocket a square away and it hits the ground there, propelling you a great distance instantly.

Unfortunately, Badass--one of the required perks for Fireangel--combined with any worthwhile boots and armor tends to reduce this propellant distance to absolutely squat.  Yes, I tried to use rocket jump to get across the lava caves when I didn't have an environment suit...it didn't move me a single square.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:50 am »

And thats why you use the Phaseshift set. Though I admit I missed the badass bit, and that kinda pisses me off, since thats half the use of the Rocket Launcher now.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:39 am »

Eh. I still play Doom, multiplayer and singleplayer with Skulltag and I design levels for it. A Doom rouge-like doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2009, 10:34:53 am »

Try it.
!!&!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2009, 10:44:09 am »

As a huge doom fan I have to say I think the rougelike is actually more fun... Though that might just be because I played Doom a LOT.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2009, 11:17:13 am »

I tried it on Hurt Me Plenty a few times, they didn't go so well :/.

I hate the vaults. I cracked one open and got omgwtfpwnzord by the arachnotrons inside. I barely managed to escape with a phase device, but only had 6% health left :(. Oh well, I screwed up with my feats anyway, so I had it coming.

Yes, I feel like a retard for not using one of my two BFGs on overload.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I found the Blaster on level 2 of an AoM game that I started right after I died, yay!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:26:45 am by Blaze »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »

Angel of Masochism or Marksmenship? If Marksmenship, remember to keep it in your off hand so you can reload your pistol.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2009, 01:21:13 pm »

I cannot help but imagine the prospects of roguelikes that are being made in Doom-esque engines. Imagine this roguelike merged with Doom. And by that I mean using the Doom engine with roguelike stats, equipment and level generation.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »

I cannot help but imagine the prospects of roguelikes that are being made in Doom-esque engines. Imagine this roguelike merged with Doom. And by that I mean using the Doom engine with roguelike stats, equipment and level generation.

Thats nigh impossible to do with the limitations of the doom engine.

If you want something innovative with the doom engine, try Action Doom II ( http://action.mancubus.net/ ) Its free to download, doesn't require a copy of doom and its not even the same game anymore.

That there is a refreshing take on doom. Making some generic rouge-like with doom-themed monsters and items is crap.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 05, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »

Soooooo

You haven't tried it then?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2009, 02:34:53 pm »

Angel of Masochism or Marksmenship? If Marksmenship, remember to keep it in your off hand so you can reload your pistol.

It was Marksmanship, I died when I got shotgunned into lava.

Also, my best AoMarksmanship run ever got cut short when I stupidly went into the Mortuary...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hard 3 large medpacks too... Stupid archviles destroyed both megaspheres and a red armor before I could nab it..

Well, there was no way I was going to clear it since two crashes emptied my ammo supply.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2009, 03:19:30 pm »

Making some generic rouge-like with doom-themed monsters and items is crap.

Seriously man, as a fan of the good ol' carnagefest of the original, I still highly recommend DoomRL.  It's definitely not a generic roguelike, and it still manages to retain some of that action-y feel.  Personally, I think they managed to do a rather good job of interpreting Doom into a roguelike form.

Sure, it's not the same game, but if it were then it wouldn't be all that interesting now would it?  The download's relatively small, it doesn't take long to learn the controls, and there's really nothing much you'd lose from trying it out (aside from an inordinate amount of time spent playing, but if that's happening then you're probably not going to complain too much about it). 

This is under no circumstances Angband or ADOM.  Nor is it Incursion or NetHack.  This is not Rogue.  This is DoomRL.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:55 pm »

After hearing people gush about this in a few other threads I decided to try it out. Quite fun! Although I got rather ticked off on my second run-through when I got trapped on a level with a giant lake of Acid inbetween me and the exit. Ah, well, still enjoyable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:12 pm »

You have to get creative to deal with that sort of thing. Use explosive barrels, pull levers, that sort of thing, until you devise a way in. If you can't, run and pray.
!!&!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2009, 05:17:25 pm »

Yeah, sadly that map just didn't give me any options. And I didn't have enough health packs to survive the entire trip. Ah, well, I just finished a run that took me down to level 10 (Hell's Armory). Did really well, but still died to an Arachnatron down there. Duel pistoling is pretty fun, especially with the Blaster and a heavily modded Advanced Pistol.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 102