Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158947 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »

I'm noticing, in an awful lot of these post-mortems, that people have been playing "Not Too Rough".  Surely I'm not the only guy likes to be Hurt Plenty?

Concurrently, I've never seen a unique or in any way unusual weapon.  Am I playing an older version, or do they just not show up until post-12 or so?

Hurt Me Plenty, hah!  I play Ultra-Violent!  Then soon NightMare!

EDIT: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2009, 05:13:31 am »

I've done the angel of light travel in hurt me plenty, but for the other challenges I usually stick with not too rough (and I've been playing only challenges since I beat the game for the first time).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2009, 05:20:22 am »

Dammit, I just ran into a Baron of Hell wearing Red Armor.  I didn't even know they could do that!

So I wound up destroying an item I really could have used, burning up an entire chaingun clip doing it at point-blank range, along with destroying the armor I was wearing, and a bunch of health.

But I'm still alive, with kick-ass guns and no health packs, about to descend into the Halls of Carnage.

Ironically, my randomly picked name for this epic run is Adrian Carmack, whom I've actually met.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2009, 03:49:55 pm »

Barons of hell and I think even Arch-viles can pick up and use ANYTHING but weapons. I had one baron use half a dozen health packs he had picked up. I've seen them use phase devices to evil effect as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:34 pm »

I once ran into a Baron wearing the Gothic Armor. It took an absurd amount of double shotgun blasts to take it down.
!!&!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:55 pm »

I wonder why barons like picking up crap, I saw one with a plasma rifle in an older version.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »

Any monster that can open a door picks up items. I've seen former human's attack me with their starter pistol while sitting on 2-3 plasma rifles. Its part of the code that is intended to stop gift dropping. Any mob that isn't seeing a player will move towards items or levers, but not powerups. They pick up items so that the player can't drop a single 10mm bullet and have a pack of enemies sit out of visual range while he picks them off. It still allows a player to drop an item to lure a mob however, and dropping a former human carrying a half dozen items will have his buddies stand around for a few rounds while they pick up his items.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »

In other words, the creatures of Hell are as big on rougelike-ratpacking as the Players themselves.  Neat little feature that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2009, 11:16:50 pm »

Well that was a fun Ao100 run. Two nukes and no shotgun ammo for 5 floors. Remember, if you drop a nuke while invincible, make sure you will stay invincible when it goes off.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »

The enemies that can pick up items are: Former Humans, Former Sergeants, Former Captains, Former Commandos, Hell Knights, and Barons of Hell. Some enemies, like Arch-viles and Mancubi, can open doors but can't pick up items. Enemies will pick up any items, but they only use Armor, Boots, Med-packs, and any Phase Devices, although the latter two are only used when they're severely wounded. Finally, all of the enemies who pick up items will move towards levers or powerups and stand on them until they're killed or the powerup is destroyed. They can't actually use any of them, though.

The worst I've ever seen though was a Baron of Hell who found some Gothic Armor, and had accumulated a few med-packs and a phase device. After using the phase device, he started walking towards me the next time I found him, only pausing to throw a few acidballs. I was firing my Plasma Rifle at him repeatedly, and wondering why he took almost no damage from it. When he finally got to me, after using only 1 large med-pack, he started using melee attacks, while I was desperately firing my plasma rifle at him point-blank. He still managed to destroy two sets of armor and use up about 4 large med-packs before I took him down at last. Even after all that, the armor was only down to about 122%, from the 200% it started at.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:57 am »

Argh lava!

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2009, 06:49:58 pm »

Lava and acid damage got much worse in the most recent version.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:59 pm »

I can't find any information on the various stances (cautious, running, and tired) that you can go to by pressing TAB. I know running DRASTICALLY increases speed and projectile defense at the cost of accuracy and melee defense, but I can't find what the other two do.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »

Cautious does nothing.  Tired also does nothing (Really!).  Basically cautious means "I haven't run yet", and tired means "I've already run and then it expired, and now I can't run anymore".  You go from tired to cautious by healing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »

The wiki is horribly outdated on stances. Some places recommend cautious, aggressive, and normal, which were replaced by cautious, running, and tired. When in doubt, run. Especially with shotguns, which always hit. A running man with max hellrunner will dodge everything except a shotgun blast and revenants. Tired does nothing, as Sowelu said, except prevent the ability to run again. Note that you can only run for about 20 "seconds" in game.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 102