Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158945 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »

Doesn't matter too much now. Fought a baron that had at least 5 health packs. Should have realized there was a problem around the 30th double shotgun blast to the face.

I have learned that walking in a zigzag greatly improves survival odds.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:29:15 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »

Whats your personal take on weapons. I had a motherfucking awesome "unique" assault shotgun in my best run so far, helped immensely with the Shottyman feat, I shotgunned until I realized how fucking badass arachnotrons and archviles are. Then I just got plasma'd to bits.

Would a double shotgun be better, or should I just make a B-line for the plasma blaster thing?

I had a wicked modded rocket launcher that was completely useless because I couldn't hit crap with it, should i focus on Eagle Eye maybe?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2009, 10:46:36 pm »

I like my double shotty. With shottyman, you are either shotting or strafing for the dodge bonus. Chainguns seem to eat too much ammo, plasmaguns eat ammo that should be going to the BFG, and rockets blow up too many items. Add in the fact that the two multishot weapons don't hit that much without eagle eye, and it seems shotguns are the way to go.

The problem with shotguns is there aren't any great uniques for them. The assualt shotgun sucks with a shotgun build because it is weaker then the double, the Pancor is great but eats through ammo 1/3 faster then the double for the same damage, and theres nothing else. The multi's have the BFG 10k, the minigun, the nuclear plasma rifle, the missile launcher, and the grammaton cleric beretta. Pistol users get the beretta, the AF jackel, the blaster, and the trigun.

The best thing to do is pick a weapon type and only use that weapon, save for the BFG and the rocket launcher. If you pick up a decent unique, your set, and if you snag the revenant launcher, you pretty much win. God I love that weapon.

Damnit just picked up a blaster to get killed by an imp. I love this game.

Edit: I think the uniques are hardcoded by level. This is the 4th time I've picked up a cleaver on the first actual level of a dive.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:44:35 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2009, 01:03:42 am »

Shotguns can be maximized with the smallest number of traits. With the multishotters, you need to EE and SoaB -> TH, taking way too much time to develop before you get survival traits. 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2009, 01:04:39 am »

Whats your favorite feats Beorn?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2009, 01:16:51 am »

Shottyman plus hellrunner. 3 levels to get shottyman, 3 levels to max hellrunner. You happen to find some phaseshift armor or boots, or other speed increaser, and you've got a double shotgun machine.

Intuition is my favorite overall, though those damn dots are a bitch to see sometimes.

I must say though that I am 7 levels into a Ao100 wielding a cleaver and a combat shotty, and doing great. 2 reloader and 2 TaN for the armor, gonna get hellrunner next.

Edit: Just found the beretta. I'm set.

Edit2: TO DIE!!!! god damn barons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:35:42 am by beorn080 »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2009, 08:27:00 am »

Chaingun/plasmagun works great for me, don't see where the problem is. I use the chaingun most of the time and switch to the prepared plasma for harder enemies. EE + SoaB makes you hit them often and hard, and EE opens up either cateyes or intuition, which let you kill enemies from a distance. You don't need that many survival traits if you don't have to get close to your enemies...

And how to you get intuition as a shottyman? You'd have to waste 2 points on EE (afaik shotguns ignore accuracy).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »

Intuition is just my favorite overall skill. Being able to use levers safely and knowing where the powerups and mobs are is great. Just not a big fan of chain guns so I end up using it fairly rarely.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2009, 07:07:10 pm »

Goddammit.  Two games in a row-

First, I get the farthest I've ever gotten, Level 11 on Hurt Me Plenty.  I didn't even get a chaingun until Lvl 8, so I never attempted any of the hell rooms.  But I persevered.  Even survived a wicked ambush of Barons and Cacodemons.  Then finally died when I used a rocket on a Revenant at too close range and knocked of the last of my health.

Second, I got real lucky with guns and armor, and did descend into Hell's Arena.  Won by the skin of teeth, and got loads of goodies.  Best equipped I've ever been.  Then in the Chamber of Chains or whatever it's called, I got blown up by the Hell Knights while running for a berserk pack.

Phobos sucks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »

Lame joke time!

What do you call a fake Cacodemon?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »

Hahahhahahahahah!!

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »

Recent Angel of Berserk run I did:

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

That's the best Angel of Berserk run I have had so far. I'd been lucky up to that point, and had made it to the Chained Court without dying. I unfortunately never found the Butcher's Cleaver, as that would have been a major help. I once found it on a previous Angel of Berserk run, at about level 4, and it really helped make the challenge doable. I unfortunately died on that run, killed by an Arachnotron in Hell's Armory, which I was attempting for the 4 Blue Armors it contained.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:09:46 pm by Skynet 2.0 »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »

I'm noticing, in an awful lot of these post-mortems, that people have been playing "Not Too Rough".  Surely I'm not the only guy likes to be Hurt Plenty?

Concurrently, I've never seen a unique or in any way unusual weapon.  Am I playing an older version, or do they just not show up until post-12 or so?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »

They can be destroyed by explosives without you being notified, and they are extremely rare. Hells armoury has a 50% shot of having one, as do a few other spots.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:32 pm »

I suppose that depends on what version you are using. The player.dat and score.dat files are forward-compatible, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to update your game; just copy those two files to retain your scores and player information.

As for the uniques, try doing Hell's Armory. The enemies are normally manageable, as the toughest thing you have to fight are a few Arachnotrons. In 0.9.8.10, the latest version, Hell's Armory has about a 50% chance of one of the four random weapons in the lower-right room being replaced with a unique ranged weapon. If a unique weapon does spawn on a given level, you will receive the message "You feel there is something really valuable here!".
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 102