Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158938 times)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2009, 06:03:54 pm »

The Pancor Jackhammer is a much better weapon for shotgun users. It does (6d3)x3 damage, just like the double shotgun. However, it can fire three times in a row before needing a reload, while still being reloaded all in one move action. More importantly, the three shots it fires each round all have the same accuracy as the combat shotgun, whereas the double shotgun is only useful in short-ranged combat. The only downside is that it uses 3 shells each volley, so the double shotgun is slightly more ammo-efficient when very close to enemies.

The Pancor Jackhammer is essentially a long-ranged double shotgun, whereas the Assault Shotgun is an improved combat shotgun.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

Well that revenant launcher kicks @$$!!! Took out cybie Metal Gear style firing rockets around the pillar's to blow him up while he couldn't see me. Had TWO nukes going into that level too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2009, 09:18:14 pm »

So anyway, how do you get the "Full win"? I know it's something along the lines of
, but I can't find it in the wiki or anywhere else.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:19 pm »

Fairly major spoiler.

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2009, 11:36:46 pm »

I just managed to finally get my first partial win on the Angel of Marksmanship run challenge.

I found a blaster early on, which makes an excellent secondary, and managed to evade Cybie's attacks just long enough to off him
!!&!!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:14 pm »

Thats my current challenge I'm doing. Found 3 Butcher's Cleavers in the past 50 runs. Pisses me off.

Edit: Forgot to mention they were within the top 3 levels.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2009, 12:02:36 am »

I found a butchers cleaver on the second floor. On an Angel of Marksmanship run. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-
!!&!!

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2009, 02:07:26 am »

Lv 16 phobos, lv 1 hell, lv 6 marine

I found an assault shotgun on the 3rd level, it was the best overall weapon I ever found (this includes the BFG9000, which I upped with the damage upgrade. 11d8, I wont spoil more than that ;D) it did 6d4, wouldn't let me upgrade it but that goddamn weapon was so sick.

The only reason I ever unequipped it was for the rocket launcher or BFG9000 for the guys who could out damage me. Killed lesser beasts in one shot usually before they could get as shot off, no damn reloading required during the battle too. Damn I miss that gun. Got killed by a Revenant on the first level of hell, I never expected them to be that vicious. Kept trying to duck behind shit and it would blow my fuggin' cover up. My rockets don't do that! They were pansies in the new Doom, so I don't know. Here's my leveling scheme though, works great, if not for more advanced perks.

1 Iron man
2 Hellrunner
3 Hellrunner
4 Hellrunner
5 Finesse
6 Finesse

What are some of the more advanced perks? I generally need hellrunner to avoid the ranged weapons my enemies throw at me, and hellrunner doesnt lead to perk upgrades.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2009, 02:29:00 am »

Hellrunner isn't essential but it is nice. Tough as Nails is great since lvl 3 of it grants a PERMANENT damage reduction of 3 to every hit. Doesn't sound like much, but combined with blue armor pretty much makes enemies far less threatening. Combined with red armor and imps do at most 4 damage, cacodemons do 8 tops, Arachnotrons do 1 damage a hit, and even the archvile gets most of his teeth pulled.

Reloader seems weak, but shotguns greatly improve with increased reload speed. The advanced trait Shottyman, which you get with 2 levels or reloader, allows you to reload ANY shotgun when moving. Meaning you can run, strafe, and spam double shotgun blasts. 6d3X3 damage and you don't have to stand still while reloading.

Whiz kid is great if you've found an advanced weapon, or are planning on doing the wall. The only problem is is that it doesn't actively help you and you are dependent on finding weapon mods which may not show up. The only reason to take Juggler is that it allows instant access to a melee weapon carried in your off hand.

Cat-eye, which opens up with lvl 2 eagle eye, increases your sight by 1 per level. Mobs have the same sight range as your initial range so this allows one to snipe from beyond their range. Intuition does many things. Lvl 1 lets you see if levers are good, bad, or indifferent, lvl 2 marks exactly what they do and shows powerups on the lvl, and lvl 3 shows enemies as REALLY tiny red dots, but they are actually visible.

Badass and berserker aren't worth it unless your doing specific Angel games. Same with son of a gun and dual gunner, unless you know you are going to find a unique pistol.

Triggerhappy from son of a bitch, gives chainguns and plasma guns an extra shot. 2 levels means plasma guns are doing 1d8+2X10 damage a shot, plus an extra damage a bullet if you take son of a bitch a third time.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:28 am »

Doing Eagle Eye -> Intuit is an interesting build.

If you can survive to the final level of Intuit (see enemies outside your sight range), you can shoot enemies from across the map. This lets you fish out single enemies from a ridiculous distance. Even THEWALL is doable if you have enough ammo.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:53 am »

The Wall isn't that hard. I beat it with a double shotgun and shottyman.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2009, 12:44:55 pm »

Doing Eagle Eye -> Intuit is an interesting build.

If you can survive to the final level of Intuit (see enemies outside your sight range), you can shoot enemies from across the map. This lets you fish out single enemies from a ridiculous distance. Even THEWALL is doable if you have enough ammo.

That was my first build.  And I beat the game on my literal first time playing.  So I can say it's pretty good.  :D  All my other characters since have done a lot worse...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »

YASD. Great AoMr run with a blaster found on lvl 3 and a phase armor around 13ish. Large medpack sitting in the lava, I step in to grab it, go to 10% life, grab it and I die. Sucked majorly since my advanced pistol was nearly maxed for whizkid 1.

Edit: I swear this game is out to get me. Trying a chain gun run, and I locate in the Armory the Pancor Jackhammer. Also have found half a dozen advanced shotguns in previous levels.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:13:36 pm by beorn080 »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »

Maybe it's not the smartest idea, but maybe Tough as Nails is better to start with--at least until you know you have one good weapon for the weapon build of your choice?  It gives you three clevels before you have to choose a weapon path...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »

True. Its like the game knows when certain weapons are worthless or near worthless and goes out of its way to give them to you. Like finding cleavers on lvl 2 in a AoMr game or nuclear bfgs on AoB.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102