Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158816 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell really did just freeze over
« Reply #1485 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:12 am »

I'll also argue that Shottyman is nigh-useless: You shouldn't ever be reloading in combat. If you're fighting when positioned somewhere you can't retreat from, then you have bigger problems than reload times.

That's true, but then Shottyman has its own pros. the double and super shotguns pretty much rely on you getting close enough to hammer an opponent, which means if you're not corner-shooting (like in those horrible arena maps where baron/mancubus fire reduces all your cover into smoldering cinders) you pretty much can spend all of your time dodging while knocking the opponent out of range/advancing to deal big damage. My first Hurt Me Plenty standard win was with a Shottyman focused character (in tactical armor/boots too, meaning I was reloading that lovely elephant gun in a fourth of the time that it would have taken for me to retreat to cover and reload it!)

Recently I've been playing on AoMc when I have the time, which means that I'm playing either Ammochain or Cateye. As a side note, never put a Hi-Power mod on your plasma rifle. If you're firing at a diagonal you're going to end up knocking your target out of the way, which is super inconvenient.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:20 pm »

Finally played the new version last night. Did a basic Marine run, and did pretty well. Took too much damage taking out the Armory, though, and got slammed by some Barons on the next level without enough health to get to cover.

Pity, but it was good fun!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:09 pm »

Just finished my first Hurt Me Plenty game. It only took fifty attempts! I managed to clear the Mortuary in that run, which was pretty sweet. Power armour is off the fucking chain. Although the "cursed" messages when trying to take it off are a bit weird. Nanopacks are the servants of the Chaos gods, apparently.

Any thoughts on the napalm launcher or acid spitter? The enemies I'd really like to use the napalm launcher against are immune to lava and while the acid spitter is kind of cool, only having one shot before reloading is pretty ridiculous. Since the missile launcher is already the apex of monster splattering technology, I find I don't have much use for them. The RNG insists on throwing napalm launchers at me constantly, however.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 01, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »

The napalm launcher and acid spitter are good for area denial, but then it turns out that most of the demons you'd need to block off (that is, the ones you can't reliably kill in the first couple of turns) are also either immune to fluids or don't actually need to get within melee range to murder your man-and-a-half's butt.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:05 pm »

Ammochain and a nuclear plasma rifle means classic ammochain excellence baby! And high powered assemblies work wonders on it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

onyhow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:29 am »

Need help: I got chaingun from the Arena, and is planning to make assault rifle out of it (didn't get whizkid yet, plan to get it next level)...here's the weird thing: when I tried to apply second agility mod to it, the game refused, saying "This item can't be modified anymore with this mod!"
Can anyone help?

Update: turns out I need whizkid first...huh???
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:03:47 am by onyhow »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:31 am »

You... kinda need that second Whizkid level.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:32 am »

There are three levels of assemblies. The first level can be assembled at any time. The second level requires a level of whizkid. The last tier requires two levels in Whizkid. Some uniques can be modded, but only by a Technician.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »

As per the request of Kornel himself, I am bumping this thread to new heights. I do this because.... A NEW RELEASE HAS BEEN RELEASED! So go, download it and die countless times to the enemies you know and love.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 04, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »

Another update?  Man I'm so behind I haven't even played the latest one.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL 0.9.9.5 released!
« Reply #1495 on: January 04, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »

Everything has changed, ToonyMan. Everything. Well, I mean the final boss is still the final boss, but the cybie is no longer the curtain.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:20 am »

Plus now you have 8 maps of Phobos, 8 maps of Deimos, 8 maps of Hell.

Before it was like 15 Phobos bases and around 10 hell maps.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:35 am »

Great news, been reading the changelog and it's not a small update at all, very impressive.

And what got me even more excited is
and if you didn’t before, follow ChaosForge and my humble self on Twitter to stay fully informed of the next GRAPHICAL release!

Yes, the graphical version you all waited for is almost ready. Even more! ChaosForge Supporters have already been granted access to 0.9.9.5 graphical version beta. 

Can't wait then for the next version, that amazing Derek Yu tiles made me drool since the first few screenshot appeared :D

there's a youtube demonstration of a beta version of it :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jjzoISYUPM
the video is a bit darker than it should be according to the comments
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:58:55 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:31 pm »

Ouch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is Army of the Dead worth the points wasted in it ? The description mention armor piercing from shrapnel shots (shotguns) but after getting it, i didn't noticed obvious better killing sprees than before while using my shotgun.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »

Oh, dang
Spoiler: Oh DANG (click to show/hide)

But yeah, it was pretty useful in 0994. It replaces your damage type from Pellets, which I think has either double or triple armor weakness(So a demon with two armor would shrug off four or six damage), to Piercing, which ignores armor. On end-game enemies that have pretty hefty armor, and barons/knights which can wear armor on top of their natural armor, it is immensely useful. It also makes the double shotty worth a damn.

I'm sorry, it still takes either just as many shots to take down enemies, or the range of possible values is too unreliable to rely on it. I'll need to play the new version to see how it fares though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:31:55 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102