Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159123 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1095 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:28 pm »

Back on this like Doomguy on a Super Shotgun.
It seems a bit odd, but I've never managed to finish a standard game in the newest version despite having won AoMr and AoB on UV and HMP; respectively.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
Might be the temptation to use weapons you aren't geared to use and/or you not having a specific goal for what you want your guy to be.

So I use my phase device, OH GOOD JOB TELEPORTING ME TWO SPACES FROM WHERE I STARTED YOU PIECE OF JUNK.
Yeah, they tend to do that. Normal Phase devices are kinda crap.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:13:51 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »

As the tiled version that got me salivating when i saw the Derek Yu mockups last year is taking a long time to complete, to see what it was really all about in term of gameplay i tried the current version and was very pleasantly surprised to see how awesome DoomRL can be.

And for those that are like me and that are very reluctant to play a rogue like without any tilesets, i must say that the imported from Doom  sound environment really helps a very lot to not be put off by the ASCII, it gives a special ambiance that nearly makes those ugly ASCII glyphs "alive".

Maybe it's because i have played Doom in every way in my young years, but i felt connected immediately thanks for all those sound and music effect.

Anyways, this is truly a fantastic game, the gameplay mechanisms are the work of pure genius.

My best run currently had lead me through the Hellgate, in 2nd floor of which bad luck came back to bite my character.
Surrounded by lava near the entrance of that level, i decided to use a phase shift to teleport to somewhere else so i could hope to find the exit stairs, and unfortunately it teleported in a tile that was next to a Baron of Hell supported by an Arachnotron, my phase shift armor that was already in a very bad state couldn't resist, and my poor health after being out of medic pack would not take well trying to run away and taking shots in my back.

So my character activated his recently found thermonuclear bomb, while the demons killed him.
... And when i pressed enter in front of the bomb, i noticed i had another phase shift device ... dammit. :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No wonder people are enthousiast about this game, it is a very enjoyable and replayable "action rogue-like" and a great coffee breaker in the same time.

And at equal difficulty level, DoomRL is more difficult than the original FPS version ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:18:05 pm by Robsoie »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 21, 2010, 10:01:25 pm »

Woooooo! Finally won Ao100!

Can't remember a whole lot from the early game, since I did this in the length of around 2-3 days, but I'll try to remember as much as I can.

On one level, I found some Phaseshift boots, which I donned immediately. Later, I would encounter many more Phaseshift boots.

I found a Firestorm mod on some level early on, that made my Plasma rifle much deadlier.

The game was constantly showering me with exotic shotguns and even the Beretta. I didn't ever use any of them because my Plasma Rifle was being real good to me. The game was also showering me with nukes.

I also donned the Cybernetic armor immediately. I also used a power mod on the armor so it would give me 10 armor and later a bulk and agility mod. I would argue that Cybernetic armor is the best armor in the game because it'll never be destroyed, and it gives you amazing protection if you can deal with the slowdown it causes.

The RNG wanted to annoy me by spawning Malek's armor, which of course I couldn't use due to the Cybernetic armor. But it's not like I would use it anyway, because my Cybernetic armor was being real good to me.

I eventually found a sniper mod pack, but I couldn't use it on my Rifle because it was already fully modded.

Later, I would find another Plasma Rifle, which I used the sniper mod on. I dropped the Firestorm modded Plasma Rifle (which was a mistake, because the firestorm modded one was definitely better).

Then I found a BFG 9000. Unfortunately I got rid of my bulk mod packs because I thought I would never find a BFG. Still, the BFG would be a nice replacement to my rocket launcher (which I still kept just for destroying walls).

Afterwards, near the end, I nuked level 93 because I had a spare nuke and invincibility, so I asked "Why not?", and nuked the level.

Wow, that took a while to do, but I'm finally done. :D
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:21 pm »

What, no one else got an interesting win yet? No comments on anything I'm doing wrong? Well, I blame you guys for making me double post and bump the thread.

Well, decided to play again, and I won again, this time on HMP. The Cyberdemon was ridiculously easy. Too bad once again I didn't get a Thermo nuke, I really wanted to go all the way.

Early on, I got a Super Shotgun, which was really awesome for a short while, until I got the Plasma Rifle and Ammochain, then I just threw it away and never looked back.

Got the sniper weapon pack; unfortunately, I already used two agility mods on the rifle, so the sniper weapon pack was kinda useless.

I'm somewhat upset that I didn't get the 100% kill count due to not being able to get to the last bit of the Vaults with the one phase device I kept. Oh well, at least I got the freaking RAILGUN. The only problem is that it wasn't compatible with Ammochain.

I also missed the Mortuary (went down the normal stairs instead. Doh!), which I was thinking of going into since I was getting cocky due to my Railgun and Plasma Rifle killing enemies so fast and my abundance of healthpacks. I'm pretty sure with my two BFGs, my Rifle, and my Railgun I would've been able to wipe the Mortuary clean.

I found the stairs to the Lava Pits, had two envirosuit packs and asked "Why not?". And then all was silent in the Lava Pits aside from me walking across the lava and bodies of my enemies.

When I encountered the Cyberdemon, I danced around the one pillar while shooting my Railgun at him. He died quickly. Poor Cyberdemon, just minding his own business when a doomguy(me) comes and puts a bunch of holes straight through him. He never stood a chance.

Man, I really wish the game would just give me a freaking nuke and invincibility so I can get a full win.

Also, tip for Hellgate's Bruiser Brothers:
If you haven't destroyed too much of the rightmost wall in the first wave's room (there should be no more then one square that you can go through to get to the area beyond, and the square should be exactly where the door is for maximum effect) and you've got some other weapon besides a shotgun, then you can just walk until you reach the point where the walls separating you from the Bruiser Brothers disappear, run back into the first room, and fire blindly to the right until they die—this is especially effective with Ammochain and an Ammochain compatible weapon. The only problem is that if you don't have an Ammochain and a compatible weapon, expect to use lots of ammo. Also, if you are using an explosive weapon (e.g a rocket launcher) you may miss the brothers and blast the wall behind the gate, blowing up the rockets hiding there.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:25 am »

I've been trying for about a week now to finish angel of shot-gunnery on HPM. Man former commandos really suck sometimes.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 06, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »

Woooo! I won AoP on HNTR. And in less then 20 minutes too.

It was pretty fun; having tons of enemies and no way to kill them except by getting them to either blow themselves up or getting them to shoot eachother.

Here's some tips for you brave souls thinking about trying AoP:
ALWAYS GO DOWN STAIRS AS SOON AS YOU CAN IGNORING ANYTHING AROUND THE STAIRS, unless you're sure you're safe, then maybe you can pick whatever you're interested in up. Trust me, that extra small healthpack isn't worth possibly getting shot by that Former Sergeant. Also, if there's nothing around the stairs, don't go exploring the level thinking you might've missed something; the only thing you've missed is death.
Run. A lot. As much as you can. Whenever you see an enemy. Just, run.
Pick up any Armor, Powerups, or Consumables you see. You don't have to worry as much about running out of space as in a normal game since you won't be carrying any ammo or weapons.
Get Hellrunner first; being able to outrun enemies—especially Lost souls—is far more important then being able to sustain a few more shots. Plus, Hellrunner negates the movement penalty armor gives you. Plus plus, you get +10% chance to dodge for every level every time you move—which you'll be doing a lot.
Take any stairs to special levels that you can just skip through, e.g the City of Skulls, the Unholy Cathedral, Hell's Armory, etc—they still give you levels even if you don't do anything.
DON'T take Hell's Arena's stairs. You can't kill anyone there anyway so it's basically a death trap.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 07, 2010, 01:23:34 am »

Nooooooo!
Of course, as soon as the game gives me a nuke and invincibility it screws me over by not generating enough health/ammo.

Aw man, so close. If only I had a little more ammo and healthpacks, or another nuke and some more invincibility I likely would've been able to kill him. Damn, I really hoped I would've been able to get him to kill himself by shooting his friends.

Heh, I wonder why it says "He nuked level 25!" then "He defeated the Cyberdemon and found the TRUE EVIL!" then afterward says "On level 26 he finally nuked the Cyberdemon.". If I nuked him on level 25 using my only nuke available, how could I nuke him on level 26?

Ah well, at least I can rest in the knowledge that I at least won a partial win with AoM on HMP (not a standard win since I used a nuke and I likely wouldn't have been able to kill the Cyberdemon without it), and in the knowledge that I at least moderately wounded JC before going down.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:49 am »

I was wondering, if someone would be interested in something like succession game of DoomRL?

Something like Ao100 on HNTR, changing places every two or three levels, hmm?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 09, 2010, 03:17:28 am »

Jesus. This is the third game in a ROW where I've pulled a lever and melted into the now lava floor. On level 2. I don't know whether to consider this lucky or to rage at it. Or both.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 09, 2010, 03:31:07 am »

Intuition will help you.
With THIS problem at least...  :P
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:19 am »

Jesus. This is the third game in a ROW where I've pulled a lever and melted into the now lava floor. On level 2. I don't know whether to consider this lucky or to rage at it. Or both.
Heh, tip: Only pull levers near the edge of the room (unless you're sure you could survive the run through lava or acid to an exit if you get bad luck), but before doing so use fuel barrels or some spare rockets to blow up the walls near the levers if there are any (but be careful not to blow up the levers) and open any doors too, so if you do get lava/acid you've got a quick escape route.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »

Take note of the "feelings" when you enter a level, they can give you hints on what to expect. I forget what's what (it's been a while since I've played much), but I'm pretty sure each type of lever has some warning.

Granted you still won't know which lever will screw you, but you'll know to have your guard up.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:44 pm »

I forget what's what (it's been a while since I've played much), but I'm pretty sure each type of lever has some warning.
Not all of them have messages, only special ones. Lesser ones won't have messages.

Here's the list of lever messages, each time you get one there will be exactly one lever associated with the message along with other lesser levers:
   You feel that smell? That gasoline smell? Oh hell... - Floods the entire level with lava. I recommend skipping pulling levers for this level unless you're suicidal, you've got enough envirosuit packs to reach the stairs, you've a Homing Phase device, or you're pretty sure can reach the stairs from the lever if lava does pop out.
   In the State of Denmark there was the odor of decay - Floods the entire level with acid. Same with lava; however, acid does half as much damage as lava, so you don't need to worry as much as with lava. However, it's still dangerous.
   The air is really humid here... - Floods the entire level with water. Water is harmless and doesn't hurt you in any way. However, water prevents you from moving barrels, and also prevents enemies from leaving corpses (and I think it also might remove already existing ones too), which is nice if you've got a lot of arch-viles or you're playing on Nightmare.
  Khe, he, he. This will be a mess... - Blows up ALL barrels on the level. The level also has more barrels then normal. Make sure there isn't any barrels nearby before pulling.
  The smell of a massacre... - There's a lever that kills nearby enemies. Not sure exactly who it kills and how many, since I've never used it successfully myself, and I can't really tell from the wiki.
  You hear the trumpets of Jericho echoing in the distance... - There's a lever that destroys ALL walls on the level. Be careful, pulling this lever might be dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:23:51 pm by Tarran »

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »

Nah, I still suck at this game...

I had Ammochain, plasma rifle (A2F2P1), two red armors (BP), seven large med-packs, and I STILL managed to get killed!

Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:36 pm »

How did you die, anyway? And what difficulty were you on?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 102