Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Forum] Request mandatory prefix tags to posts in suggestions forum  (Read 3679 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: [Forum] Request mandatory prefix tags to posts in suggestions forum
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 04:13:29 pm »

Subforums could work of course [..and yeah, this idea has been brought up in the past], and don't worry about the search feature, the SMF search function is quite good actually. It will work flawlessly.  :)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »

AFAIK, SMF should handle subfora. And I personally would be quite comfortable with that solution. And yes, I recall we discussed that a bit before, at the time of the forum upgrade.

So could we start talking about a reasonable set of sub-fora? Here's from the top of my head:

* Magic and religion
* Combat, military and battles
* Mining, Zoning and Construction
* Technology and Buildings
* World generation and Races
* Interface
* Behaviour and Skills
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:35:38 pm by Mikademus »
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 04:59:15 pm »

* Magic and religion
-Unrelated and dramatically different... Religion is an entity in it of itself and is far from limited to miracles

* Combat, military and battles
-Ehh fine..

* Mining, Zoning and Construction
-Mining can also go under world generation

* Technology and Buildings
-So... World generation and Races does not include technology

Dear holy I don't have to go on... These categories easily break down through their overarching areas of convergance. If we have these Prefix or Subforums they need to be percise and uncontested... or else the forum will suffer.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 05:09:47 pm »

We don't need to create a complete scientific taxonomy :) Also, not every thread must go to a sub-category.

But ok, the reasoning behind my suggestion:

* Mystic (Magic and religion)
* Martial (combat and battles and armies and weapons and stuff)
* Build your fortress (Mining, zoning, construction)
* What's in the fortress and what more do we want? (Technology and buildings)
* What's the form and content of the world? (World generation and races. Place gods and megabeasts here too)
* How does your dorfs act? (Behaviour, mood, skills etc)
* Presentation and using the game (Interface)

Edit:

Basically, we add the sub-fora we need atm, and more over time as they are needed or convenient.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:14:20 pm by Mikademus »
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 05:26:10 pm »

I don't think Religion should go with Magic... it sends out the wrong message.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

I can't think of many suggestions that would fit squarely into one catagory or the other, which is why I'd suggest tags, put forth by the posters, or the mods, if Toady wishes for that kind of workload on the mods.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »

Also given the activity on the suggestion forum... I don't think splitting it up 5 times helps too much. It just annoys me by making have to travel to 6 sections of this forum just to see what is otherwise 1 section worth of content... 2 if there is a lot of activity

It is like splitting a glass of water into 6 different sized glasses for one person to drink

Edit addition: Whoa 6 sections!?! Apperantly people gone insane with 8 seperate sections!?!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:35:04 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:20 am »

^^^ It sounds like threads would only get moved to the subforums once it's time for them to get archived.  Although I'm not sure how long that should be, considering that sometimes people do necrobump a thread with good on-topic content.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 07:52:30 pm »

I dont want to bring down your entusiasm but we had this diskussion atleast 3 times (We need a better search algorithm or an tagging option for threads ... seriously) and it has shown that the handconsoles that are avaibable today arent powerfull enought yet. Even the Iphone is a little bit to slow.

The post above presented a wonderful opportunity to bump this thread. Toady, when will we get the sub-fora, or can anyone engineer a tags-system for SMF?
You are a pirate!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »

Here is the rules from my one forum that uses this.  If someone does not folllow the rules, an automatic script DELETES HIS POST.  Instantly with no discussion.

Rules and Guidelines

Please note that he rules for this forum are stricter than for the main forum. These rules exist to make it possible for busy developers to find and browse the ideas posted without being swamped by duplicate threads and mixed topics. In order for these forums to be useful, it is important that you read and understand the rules before posting.

Failure to follow the rules, including the naming rules, may result in warnings from moderators and deleted posts and, for repeat offenders, potentially being suspended or banned from posting in the forums.

Welcome to the Snaegblat Ideas forum.

This forum is for you to post ideas and suggestions for the game. This is not just for ideas for the next game but for any future version that may come along.

Note: If developer feedback is posted in the Snaegblat ideas forums, this feedback should always be treated as personal comment rather than stated HunChgaANdaA policy. If a game feature has not been announced through official channels then its discussion here does not guarantee its inclusion in any future game.

Before posting anything:

* Absolutely no spam, chit chat or off-topic posts are allowed here, and polls have been disabled for this forum. The more chat there is in a thread, the less likely any developer is to try and read through it looking for ideas. Present your ideas in Snaegblat, post chat in the main forum.
    * Look for other threads on the same or similar topics and post there if at all possible. If there are duplicate threads then one or more copies may be locked or even deleted by the moderators.
    * If you don't have time to search then please keep hold of your idea and post later when you do have time. These forums are moderated by volunteers who probably have no more free time than you do!

When creating a new thread:

* Make the thread title a brief but clear description. Do not create threads with titles like "Great idea!!!". Please follow the Topic Subject Naming Conventions located further down in this post.
    * Start your post with a one-line description of your idea so that anyone reading it can quickly see what your post is about.
    * Follow this up with a more detailed description. Don't just post something like "VSAGSFAS should be multiplayer" and leave it at that.
    * Think about how your suggestion would fit in with the existing game, and try to think about what effect it might have on game performance, playability, game longevity, and so on.
    * If your idea crosses several subject keywords then split your post up appropriately. For example part of the idea may be related to EQUIPMENT and the rest to RESCTARRS.
    * If you have several unrelated suggestions then split them into separate threads and make sure each one is posted in the correct ideas forum. Long lists of ideas in a single thread are difficult to work with and are less likely to be read.
    * If your idea is related to other ideas please add a related topics section to the bottom of the top post. See here for an example of how to do this.

When replying to a thread:

* This forum is not for general discussion so stay on topic. Replies that are off-topic or just chat will be deleted.
    * Unlike the main forums digging up old threads and adding further posts is encouraged.
    * Make sure you add something to the topic. Don't just post "Yeah, great idea".
    * Check previous posts in the thread before replying. Try to avoid duplicating suggestions and comments.
    * If the idea is about a new object then add as much detail as you can. For example, if it is a new xxx, xxxxx, asdasn or piece of equipment supply the same sort of information as the game does in the information screens.

If you have any questions regarding the rules or anything about posting please put your question in the general Snaegblat forum and one of the team will help you.

Topic Subject Naming Rules

Note: These naming rules are important. Automated tools are used to index the ideas and any deviation from the naming rules will cause problems with this process.

These are the current topic keywords which will be added to as time goes by. The subject should always start with the keyword noted below:

EAPONSWA - Any EAPONSWA related topic.
GGHASA - Any GGHASA related topic.
RETRADA - Any RETRADA related topic.
EQUIPMENT - Covers equipment for RETRADA (not EAPONSWA).
TNG - Covers goods and also the TNG of them and the NOHAW.
RESCTARRS - Covers any content and desgin in a xxxxxxxx such as xxxxxxx, xxxxxx or xxxxxx excluding xxxxxxx.
MHGISTNS - Covers plot, side MHGISTNS and BBS MHGISTNS.
GAMEPLAY - Anything that effects the interaction with the game such as rules, rankings and how the game plays.
GAHERAS - Anything to do with the races, other living creatures, corporations, groups except where covered by a specific keyword. e.g. If the topic is about a new race use this but it if it is about an existing races xxxx then use TNG.
INTERFACE - Anything to do with how you interact with the game such as controls, menus or screen layout.
COMBAT - Anything gameplay topic related to combat that isn't covered by a more specific keyword such as GGHASA. This will include topics such as xxxxx and xxxxxxxxx.
SOUND - Any topic regarding sound.
VOICE - Any topic regarding voices.
MUSIC - Any topic regarding music.
SCENERY - Anything to do with graphical items in the background such XXXX.
EFFECTS - Anything to do with graphical effect such as XXXXXX. Note that if the idea is something like a flashing light on a XXXXX this is MODELS.
GRAPHICS - Anything graphical not covered by the keywords MODELS, SCENERY, and EFFECTS such as videos and animations.

MULTI - Any multiple subject posts will be labelled as such and moved to the general dev forum. If ideas from these posts are to be included in the main areas they require to be split up as per the rules and guidelines. This keyword should not be used by posting, it will only be used by the moderators to identify a topic that needs breaking up.

If you create a new topic with one of the subject groups above can you please follow the same convention. Note that if the idea is about but a single EAPONSWA the topic is still EAPONSWA not EAPONSWAs. Please put the keyword all in capitals and separate it from the subject with space dash space (i.e. ' - '). This is essential to the automated indexing. Also, please do not use dashes, ampersands (&), pipes (|) or commas elsewhere in the subject. Thanks.

Follow the keyword with a good summary of what the topic is about. Make it something that you would search for to find your post easily again.
Examples:
EAPONSWA - Xxxxxx for Xxxxxxl goods
INTERFACE - Add some financial info screens
EAPONSWA – Xxxx XXxxxxxXx
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

^ Basically, it is something like this that is increasingly required here. If the tags were clickable themselves it would be an additional benefit.

It may seem draconian, but it is getting enervating to basically only see duplicate threads and lazy posters, and I guess it is just as enervating for honest would-be contributors to get shot down with "been suggested a million times already!"
You are a pirate!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 02:55:31 pm »

There could  be a dozen or more stickies for the most common groups of subjects. The ability to introduce a new theme must be preserved at all costs.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

^ Absolutely, that's why I included the option to provide your own tag in addition to select one of the established ones in my original suggestion.
You are a pirate!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 07:32:44 pm »

There could  be a dozen or more stickies for the most common groups of subjects. The ability to introduce a new theme must be preserved at all costs.

Well then maybe there should be theme for that.

Perhaps

FORUM - Add the descriptor WHATEVER to the list of acceptable things.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 08:17:51 am »

^ Yeah. but that should probably be a moderator or admin option, though. There could be some colour code or other indication to differentiate between established and custom tags.
You are a pirate!

Pages: 1 [2] 3