Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You broke it! Fix it!  (Read 626 times)

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You broke it! Fix it!
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:17:51 am »

Unless I totally suck at searching (which I probably do) this issue haven't been raised as of yet:

Restore mined areas.

The only way (afaik) to refill an area you dug out, is to fill it up with walls. This is quite labor intensive an actually really a waste of your mason's time, when they are better needed elsewhere.

I propose that miners can do a backfill, as well as digging out an area, basically restoring the dug out area to blackness, or atleast to known type of rock/soil/whatever.

If not for anything else, this option should please all estaethic freaks ;)

Any thoughts?
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You broke it! Fix it!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:02:42 am »

Yes, filling the holes with natural rock and manually hiding the wall beyond would be a nice feature. Replace those microcline walls with ones matching the rest of the hallway and hide the exposed parts

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

And then (of course) being able to engrave the newly created rock
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:19 am »

And then (of course) being able to engrave the newly created rock

This is why it shouldn't be possible, if engraving walls is the whole reason why you should keep unmined walls. But if that isn't a 'feature' of unmined walls, then I'm all for it.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »

I see two issues here. we should be able to toss junk, dirt, and boulders down a shaft to fill it up, as it stands objects have no mass, and mass on the map is not conserved (try turning a local mountain into trinkets some time and fitting them all into a 7x7 hole!) Secondly because of player omnipresence we have no 'fog of war' nor the ability to 'forget' what was shoved into that hole, Thus making me wonder how my dwarves know when the goblins in the doom fortress across the map are taking a leak, and that the magma man sleeping at the bottom of my vent is picking his igneous nose. This also proves a problem for neat freaks who cant stand the idea of enemy tunnels because it would reveal and destroy the visual symmetry of the fortress even after the actual damage is repaired.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.