Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "I just can't stand it! I just can't stand the rocks!"  (Read 2812 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
"I just can't stand it! I just can't stand the rocks!"
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:10:41 am »

how do i get rid of all the leftover rocks?
I don't have nearly enough haulers
these dwarves take up to much space
is it just a matter of time?
does it need to be a bigger priority?

help me!
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: "I just can't stand it! I just can't stand the rocks!"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:19:29 am »

You can either highlight the rocks individually with (k) and press (h) to hide them, or go (d) > (b) > (h) I think to hide objects in big batches.  This doesn't actually remove them, just makes it so you can't see them.  The dwarves will still move them out of the way when need be, but it will lead to problems - doors stuck open, invisible shops, and so forth, but you can unhide anything the same way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:48 am »

yes, but what steps must I take to get rid of them?
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:33:08 am »

Lots of hauling.  Nothing speeds that up but more dwarfs.

If you want to actually remove them from existence, your options are a bit limited.  You can build things with them - crafts, furniture, otherwise pointless megaprojects, and so forth.  If you don't want to exchange a pile of stones for a pile of furniture, then chasms or magma are good.  If you don't have either of those, then you need to make a trash compactor.  If you need tips on that, just ask.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:33:40 am »

yes, but what steps must I take to get rid of them?

throwing them into chasms, or throwing them into lava, or making millions of mugs and selling them to caravans.

pretty much.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:13 am »

I have catapults with small stone stockpiles next to them (or catapults in the areas where there are large amounts of stones to be used up) and have my siege operators chuck stone all day. I also have 3 masonry workshops making rock blocks given from multiple job orders so they never cease to churn out  blocks which can be stored into stockpile bins in 10s and later used for various stuff. Just make sure you have plenty of masons.

I also do a lot of above ground constructions so that helps in getting rid of stones and blocks too. Why not build some megastructures like Aqizzar mentioned to use 'em up?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:45:52 am »

Lots of hauling.  Nothing speeds that up but more dwarfs.

If you don't have either of those, then you need to make a trash compactor.  If you need tips on that, just ask.

trash compactor? tell me more!

Jisaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:03:43 am »

Drawbridges crush anything that's underneath them when they're lowered, which is one way to totally destroy large quantities of rock. I prefer just dumping them all onto a single tile though, save them for use later on. Less wasteful, and it means one less step. Either way you need to haul them somewhere, though not necessarily very far.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 01:07:17 am »

I remember seeing a video where someone set up a device that used the flow of water to push miscellaneous objects into repeatedly triggered bridge in order to auto-smash many things at a time.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:42 am »

I personally modded my game so magma smelters can melt them, for a low random chance that they can give a bar of metal too
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:34:03 am »

I just build fuckhuge towers, if you'll pardon my Dwarfish.

Zuglarkiddir, my favorite fortress so far, has a small castle built from chalk, plus something like ten 'pults. Unfortunately, I keep leaving holes somehow.

That and workshops set to make rock crafts, toys, instruments, and mugs. I get tons of stuff from traders, I use up my rocks, everyone wins. Except the rocks, but no one likes them. Stupid unlikeable rocks.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 02:26:43 pm »

One thing I like to do to get rid of stone is to make stone crafts (they can be moved by water) which I then destroy in my automated waste disposal chamber (which still drowns dwarves every once in a while).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »

Big masonry project. It's the only way.

EDIT: I mean BIG. I've installed a double-thickness curtain wall, with a single layer of fortifications on top, and a ring of floors on the inside, along with extensions and fortifications overlooking my trade entrance, which is a heavily trapped short tunnel with ramps at each end going under the wall, big enough for wagons.

When I get bored enough, I will add towers to the corners, and extend the walls out to a few keeps scattered around the map.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:28:55 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 07:16:57 pm »

I used to be like you.

I hated all the rocks just lying around my fortress, cluttering things up. It was atheistically unappealing to me. I looked and looked and looked for ways to get rid of rocks quickly. I used magma and trash compactors (floodgates/bridges), I dumped them into chasms, I modded my game so that I could use a smelter to smelt them into something useful... I used 5-10 masons to churn out stonecrafts and blocks, I used siege operators to fling the stone away from my fort... I built floors, thousands of floors. Using the hide command wasn't an option because I KNEW the stone was still there, still cluttering my fort... stupid stone.

But lately? I haven't bothered. It's just to much effort for to little return. My forts got held up way to much by trying to get rid of all the excess stone. I will clear stone out of my stockpiles, bedrooms and industry areas, and I will remove the stone sitting in doorways or on stairs (making them blink), but other than that? I just let it lie. If I need to see where I'm designating something, I might hide the stone. Maybe.

My current fort has over 150,000 pieces of stone according to the stocks menu. I have 57 dwarfs. My fort wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is now if I had spent the time needed to clear that stone away.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 09:34:23 am »

Dump them into a chasm or into magma will get rid of rocks, or there's the garbage disposal/mandate processor/atom smasher plan - small square room with a door and a bridge (not the retracting kind). Open/close bridge and anything under it will be unmade.

Personally, I think keeping the fort clean is the right way to play. I'd swear it helps keep the game running smoothly too.
Pages: [1] 2 3