Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you for or against units that can dig to your fortress ?

For !
Against !

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: [For or Against] Tunnelers units  (Read 63332 times)

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Losing is fun
« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2010, 04:18:03 am »

I'm appalled at the number of pro-digging-enemies players who temper their favor for the idea with suggestions that invaders' digging should be very slow, weak, and vulnerable.
I want (the option) to go to war with a rival dwarven civilization who bring teams of legendary miners, masons and mechanics with their armies and can do everything I can do, and if I survive I want to survive because I outwitted the game, not because it's rigged to let me win.

Fact of the matter is that if Toadbro is intent on creating a realistic and coherent world, he's going to eventually allow the A.I. controlled entities to do everything you can do. Bro.

It'll be an init.txt option anyway.

Would also make sense that certain walls would be impossible to dig through by standard means. Can't much make headway through solid steel with a copper pick.

Its realistic. And I'm surprised its not further defined. Options for creatures which 'tunnel' is more like swimming complete with tunnel speed, and how long the trail is behind them until it closes by itself. What types of ground it can tunnel, just the soft or the hard layers etc.

If you attacked another Civ, you'd almost assuredly try at least once to take your miner dwarves to tunnel in rather than walk along.
Just wait until they would have traps as complex as yours.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [For or Against] Tunnelers units
« Reply #316 on: July 03, 2010, 07:04:27 am »

Reviving an old post that covers ome previously addressed territory, also I want to bask in the glory of my text wall again, though I removed some stuff about traps because I don't really think tunnelling is about traps...
Forum McGoer, Mason cancels go-on-living: Trapped behind text wall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

pazuzu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 03, 2010, 08:12:58 am »

100% For tunnelers.
Simply because it would make a siege dangerous.
You can plan and build thousands of combinations of crazy defenses that can stop anything, whereas the best the enemy can do is what? Throw away a wave of idiots each time you lower your drawbridge for that split second.

Its lucky for them marksdwarves don't work atm, otherwise you'd never even let them in.

Turn this sandbox into a game! Vote For tunnelers!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 03, 2010, 10:59:23 am »

My main Idea relates to how to deal with the tunnels left behind by tunnellers. Make them collapsible with some kind of mechanism, IE, using the engineer type skills and some basic engineering items - mechanisms and levers. The player 'builds' two spots (at the beginning and end of the tunnel) and then links them to a lever. This level is pulled, the tunnel is collapsed, either all of it, OR just the two ends, but the intervening tunnel is hidden. Thats a minor point, I wouldn't care either way.

This means those who want to completely remove the tunnels afterwards can do so promptly, those who want to keep them, can. It also allows you to perhaps prepare a trap for the next siege, by collapsing the tunnel when it is reoccupied by goblins. Make it usable only on none player constructed tunnels (if thats code-able) to prevent supper easy traps and all other possible uses of the 'collapse' designation or build, and voila.

I mentioned a similar idea earlier, and I think it completely solves any complaints about spaghetti mountain forts. We already have an init option to turn off sieges, so if people want to build in peace they can. I very much want to build a big beautiful fort and also defend it against diggers without them ruining the look I'm going for in a permanent way. This allows me to have both!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 03, 2010, 09:21:42 pm »

I'm appalled at the number of pro-digging-enemies players who temper their favor for the idea with suggestions that invaders' digging should be very slow, weak, and vulnerable.
I want (the option) to go to war with a rival dwarven civilization who bring teams of legendary miners, masons and mechanics with their armies and can do everything I can do, and if I survive I want to survive because I outwitted the game, not because it's rigged to let me win.

The problem with an enemy that can tunnel as fast as it can walk, and which will path directly to you, without bothering to take doors, even if it means tunneling 40 tiles, instead of just tunneling only 1 tile in a thin wall is that your forts would simply turn into swiss cheese. 

If enemies try to path towards your meeting centers, then inevitably, every tile near the edge of the map (since the enemies arrive at random points around the edge of the map, unless you do something like lava moat the whole place) would be a worm hole twisting its way straight for the center of your fort.  There would be, as someone else said, nothing that would matter except for your ability to throw melee soldiers out in front of your city to head off the tunnelers, and every tile of your fort would likely eventually be tunneled out until there was the threat of cave-in.

It's one thing to have tunnelers that try to work their way through stone walls and fortifications, it's quite another to have your entire floorplan rendered completely pointless because enemies simply walk through solid rock to chase after your fleeing and virtually unprotectable civilians even when a door is right in front of them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 04, 2010, 12:36:05 am »

The problem with an enemy that can tunnel as fast as it can walk, and which will path directly to you, without bothering to take doors, even if it means tunneling 40 tiles, instead of just tunneling only 1 tile in a thin wall is that your forts would simply turn into swiss cheese. 

If enemies try to path towards your meeting centers, then inevitably, every tile near the edge of the map (since the enemies arrive at random points around the edge of the map, unless you do something like lava moat the whole place) would be a worm hole twisting its way straight for the center of your fort.  There would be, as someone else said, nothing that would matter except for your ability to throw melee soldiers out in front of your city to head off the tunnelers, and every tile of your fort would likely eventually be tunneled out until there was the threat of cave-in.

It's one thing to have tunnelers that try to work their way through stone walls and fortifications, it's quite another to have your entire floorplan rendered completely pointless because enemies simply walk through solid rock to chase after your fleeing and virtually unprotectable civilians even when a door is right in front of them.

whats really needed is the ability to use the new weapons system against stone.
Copper picks shouldnt tunnel as fast as steel picks, thats a general fact.
would also open up the door of having things like, shovels which could only dig soil, and giant dwarf drills which could cut cleanly through slade.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 04, 2010, 01:40:59 am »

From a logical point of view, how would tunnelers know where to tunnel? Would they magically know where your base was, or would they tunnel randomly until they hit something? As much as tunneling would be interesting at some times, it does make static defenses pretty useless, and has some pretty big problems attached... if we where gonna have tunnelers, there would have to be some pretty big limits to their abilities. Tunnel only through sand/loam? Only tunnel around an inaccessible path? Tunnel only on the same z level? Since a pretty dang large part of this game is about building static defenses (doors, bridges, traps, siege weapons...), an enemy that could tunnel straight down into your dining hall would kill the fortress pretty quick.

- One quick idea though, you could at least protect from being tunneled straight down at by making ceilings more than one z-level high. So, you'd just have to balance side and under tunneling.

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 04, 2010, 01:52:00 am »

Two thumbs up for tunnelers!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 04, 2010, 01:52:34 am »

From a logical point of view, how would tunnelers know where to tunnel? Would they magically know where your base was, or would they tunnel randomly until they hit something? As much as tunneling would be interesting at some times, it does make static defenses pretty useless

Eh, not useless. They just wouldn't be able to protect you indefinitely. If you knew the direction from which they were tunneling, you'd be able to prepare for the breach effectively, and either way, it would buy you a decent amount of time.

As for how they'd know... well, assuming no other changes, they'd just magically know, as is consistent with everything else in DF at the moment. Otherwise, I'm not sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 04, 2010, 02:11:19 am »

Somewhere in my text wall was a reference to spies, I also cut out a patch on surveyors from the original text wall because it concerned traps, but the idea of enemy agents sneaking in and marking valuable targets if their information escapes the map could be fun, but that would probably be a fair bit of work to implement...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 04, 2010, 02:29:11 am »

If there was an easy way to seal off your fortress into sections (copious bridges over pits?), and if tunnelers would only dig to specific targets that had to be located beforehand somehow, then I'd be for the tunneling. However, unless the military gets fixed well enough that a full on invasion to the dining hall or bedrooms won't depopulate your fortress, then the easier tunnel-like-dirt-flying would be pretty gamebreaking.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 04, 2010, 03:14:41 am »

I voted no -
[don't stop reading yet]
I voted no to the whole topic. I think its just too premature to ask people if they want tunnelling in the game when it just isn't ready for it. This topic could of been handled better by entitling it "imagine diggers in the future" or "Possible seiges in the future" after which the mechanics needed for them is plausible such as improved digging (shifting stone and dirt anyone?) and better material handling (taking longer to dig through "microcline" than marble).
That said if it was to be added to the game, IN THE CURRENT STATE IT IS IN, then yes I believe It shouldn't be added.
When the features are introudced that makes this an intresting tactic and not too overpowered to the player or his mega constructions, then sure.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

LONG LIVE THE PICK!!! Thos toady WILL have to improve the AI a bit.

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:01 pm »

Before I start, I have to mention that I have not read the entire thread. It's 22 pages long and I really have no desire to see if somewhere ten pages back someone brought up and discarded an idea similar to mine.

People are discussing the "swiss cheese" problem with tunneling invaders, and I do see this as a bit of an issue for an unprepared fort. However, if I was tasked to defend against a bunch of dwarves trying to tunnel into my underground fortress, I would simply prepare a proper moat. None of this one tile deep and wide nonsense that somehow manages to destroy pathing, but a proper deep moat that makes it impossible to dig through the top X levels without those miners flooding themselves with water or magma. The AI we talked about would avoid making caveins and not dig through warm or wet squares. Without that AI, I assume the invaders would die anyway, but it would make refilling the moat rather important. I also believe this means that aquifers would act as a perfect defense line as well. (After all, we know how much effort must be taken to properly pierce those and I doubt Toady will feel like making an AI able to penetrate them without cheating) To defend a fortress, one would simply surround the entire thing with liquids.

It is possible that this strategy would be ineffective against a group of amphibious or magma-surviving tunneling enemies, but at that point, there really wouldn't be much that you could actually do.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:15:09 pm by Cephas »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 04, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »

Perhaps making them go trough only soil. On the other hand everyone would just dig down another 2 or 3 levels trough the soil and start there.
Tunnelers are defintly problamatic because if you allow them to simply dig into the fort your oponment will be able to ingore all defences. On the other hand only allowing them to do little would lead to all sorts of exploids. Perhaps making the option to reinforce pieces of wall to be inpassble to tunnel. This could mean that your main mine roads can still be attacked but your main area remains unaffected. Another risk is cave-ins. A group of tunnelers could easily kill themselfs with a cavein that shouldn't happen. Also digging is a dwarven thing so other races should have a mayor disadvantage in digging(new raw?).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35