Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you for or against units that can dig to your fortress ?

For !
Against !

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: [For or Against] Tunnelers units  (Read 63292 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [For or Against] Tunnelers units
« Reply #390 on: August 01, 2010, 01:06:47 am »

Right, but a goblin shouldn't be able to penetrate it by digging at it with a mining pick or whatever.

It should require some heavy equipment or explosive technology.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 01, 2010, 01:21:08 am »

Probably a fairly simple way to proof your moat vs. sappers is to make the bottom level of a several-z-level moat extend outwards a little ways. Imagine an L-shaped cross-section. Then, when the sappers come to the moat and dig down, they hit the water or magma or whatever, and Smugnu aborts job: burning.

It would take a bit of time to set up but hopefully you'd have a corp of legendary miners by the time fully equipped sieges come knocking. It'd defeat the simpler siege strategies easily, and with a bit of cunning (make the outward-jutting cistern area at the bottom of the moat more of a perforated maze instead of a solid area of water, so the siegers think they're safe, start digging horizontally, and hit liquid) would defeat most any reasonable AI moat-diggers; they'd have to bring screw pumps or else dig in from 10+ levels below which is stupid.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:49:14 am by loose nut »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 01, 2010, 01:23:46 am »

Or they could just bridge it. Preferably under a hail of arrows from your archers :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:35 am »

Just so long as they can't tunnel into constructed walls made of sturdy materials like metal.

Unless of course they have some sort of siege engine (catapult, trebuchet, ect) or dynamite.

I don't think any enemy unit should have the ability to deconstruct a wall. On top of this, no enemy unit should be able to dig through a constructed wall, only dirt/sand or stone. If a wall is to be destroyed, it needs to be destroyed by a Ram, artillery fire, collapsing, or an appropriately flagged enemy.
-----
Probably a fairly simple way to proof your moat vs. sappers is to make the bottom level of a several-z-level moat extend outwards a little ways. Imagine an L-shaped cross-section. Then, when the sappers come to the moat and dig down, they hit the water or magma or whatever, and Smugnu aborts job: burning.

Very great idea! Thumbs up!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:36:46 am by Iden »
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

Digging enemies seems like a great idea provided they would require heavy equipement (think rams) to breach constructions (which are probably better reinforced than natural walls) and that the diggers/siege opperators are "civilians" and like their dwarven counterparts flee when faced with soldiers.
On a side note it has been brought up that digging should only be restricted by metal walls, perhaps a good comprimise would be the ability to "plate" or "reinforce" several stone walls with a single bar of metal to prevent digging.

Tryntu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57:51 am »

note: i'm too lazy to read through the thread, so i have no idea if this has been considered or what, but i had an idea, so i'm spewing it.

a common complaint is that, without tunnelers, doors and moats can stymie a massive siege in notime, right?

Battering Rams and Pontoon Bridges.

Battering Ram: make it a unit that can take down doors and walls, but not undug dirt (smoothed walls counting as undug, i suppose. make higher quality doors, of different materials, harder to take down. i.e. a wood door is harder to kill than a glass one, rock > wood, metal > rock. also could maybe introduce fortified doors or something. and, of course, masterwork is stury as crap, whereas unquality'd will fall over if you piss on it.

Pontoon Bridges: allow the invading force to build bridges, using either wood they bring with them, or trees that are avaliable on the map if possible. they then start building pontoon bridge tiles - easily destroyed and attackable, again depending on quality. rock and metal, barring preformed, would be too hard and not floaty enough, imo. glass.. yeah, no.

another thought - siege ladders/towers.. gives the goblinite an edge if someone tries defending by using a cliff.

ionno, hopefully i helped.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 13, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

I can't believe that this thread (that I started a year and a half ago) is still afloat.

Anyway, we're reached 500+ votes, and 73.3 % of the people that voted were for tunneling units. So the basic idea of having units that dig seems well-received, now we should think about the implementation.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 13, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »

note: i'm too lazy to read through the thread, so i have no idea if this has been considered or what, but i had an idea, so i'm spewing it.

a common complaint is that, without tunnelers, doors and moats can stymie a massive siege in notime, right?

Battering Rams and Pontoon Bridges.

Battering Ram: make it a unit that can take down doors and walls, but not undug dirt (smoothed walls counting as undug, i suppose. make higher quality doors, of different materials, harder to take down. i.e. a wood door is harder to kill than a glass one, rock > wood, metal > rock. also could maybe introduce fortified doors or something. and, of course, masterwork is stury as crap, whereas unquality'd will fall over if you piss on it.

Pontoon Bridges: allow the invading force to build bridges, using either wood they bring with them, or trees that are avaliable on the map if possible. they then start building pontoon bridge tiles - easily destroyed and attackable, again depending on quality. rock and metal, barring preformed, would be too hard and not floaty enough, imo. glass.. yeah, no.

another thought - siege ladders/towers.. gives the goblinite an edge if someone tries defending by using a cliff.

ionno, hopefully i helped.

This has been addressed, obviously no final consensus was ever achieved, but my position is that doors and moats are not a problem. It would be nice if they were intelligent defences that could be used artistically, and in time they probably will be, but currently they are completely optional, if you don't want immunity to sieges, then don't use them, such things are a part of playing an alpha version... The real problem is something more akin to a long corridor, are a weaving maze of fortifications, with ballistae at one end, and a solid coating of traps, which ends in a narrow S-Bend into a large room with raised archer positions above the opening, so that a dozen dwarves are all attacking a single invader. Some defences just won't be overcome by any sane invasion, tunnelling would offer a means of breaching that, although it would need to be limited so that defences were not completely irrelevant...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:20 am »

This has been addressed, obviously no final consensus was ever achieved, but my position is that doors and moats are not a problem. It would be nice if they were intelligent defences that could be used artistically, and in time they probably will be, but currently they are completely optional, if you don't want immunity to sieges, then don't use them, such things are a part of playing an alpha version... The real problem is something more akin to a long corridor, are a weaving maze of fortifications, with ballistae at one end, and a solid coating of traps, which ends in a narrow S-Bend into a large room with raised archer positions above the opening, so that a dozen dwarves are all attacking a single invader. Some defences just won't be overcome by any sane invasion, tunnelling would offer a means of breaching that, although it would need to be limited so that defences were not completely irrelevant...

This is a pretty clever strategy for stymiing seiges.

Maybe there could be a "create collapsable area" designation, that made it so anyone tunneling under a given "collapsable area" would cause a minor cavein?

It'd be perfectly reasonable for such a cavein to alert the defending forces.

Surrounding your Fortress with a "curtain wall" of mazes, traps, and other fortifications, as per the above post, seems very dwarfy to me.

Tunneling doesn't have to be easy, or fast, either. Dwarfs certainly should be the best in the world at it, and other species may well find it to be as dangerous, for them, as it is in real life.

Goblins may have little skill at mining, whatsoever, making tunneling a prohibitively dangerous last resort.

For that matter, during a seige, time in the game might go a lot more slowly, and things like mining/tunneling may take 10 times or more longer than "normal speed", allowing plenty of time to respond to them.

And, ofcourse, dwarfs should possess the skill to restore stone to it's natural pre-tunneled state. And possibly even give constructions a "natural stone finish", given enough time--rendering fortifications even less vulnerable to damage than they are now.

They may even have the ability to strengthen stone beyond it's natural tolerances, through various processes. 

For they would be your masters.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2010, 02:28:25 pm »

This is a pretty clever strategy for stymiing seiges.

Maybe there could be a "create collapsable area" designation, that made it so anyone tunneling under a given "collapsable area" would cause a minor cavein?

It'd be perfectly reasonable for such a cavein to alert the defending forces.

Surrounding your Fortress with a "curtain wall" of mazes, traps, and other fortifications, as per the above post, seems very dwarfy to me.

Tunneling doesn't have to be easy, or fast, either. Dwarfs certainly should be the best in the world at it, and other species may well find it to be as dangerous, for them, as it is in real life.

Goblins may have little skill at mining, whatsoever, making tunneling a prohibitively dangerous last resort.

For that matter, during a seige, time in the game might go a lot more slowly, and things like mining/tunneling may take 10 times or more longer than "normal speed", allowing plenty of time to respond to them.

And, ofcourse, dwarfs should possess the skill to restore stone to it's natural pre-tunneled state. And possibly even give constructions a "natural stone finish", given enough time--rendering fortifications even less vulnerable to damage than they are now.

They may even have the ability to strengthen stone beyond it's natural tolerances, through various processes. 

Full of win.  Though there are already a few threads on the matter, having a system in place to handle time discrepancies between adventure and fort mode could really help here for sieges and offensive/defensive mining.  This could make the time it takes to mine go at a more reasonable and somewhat realistic pace during a siege.  Add to that better cave-in physics and necessitating supports and stuff, as well as needing to haul crap out of freshly mined areas, then the real risks and caveats of mining during a siege are introduced.  Then a moat would be hard to mine under and therefore serve a purpose in this regard.  In addition, counter-mining would be a viable counter strategy to sappers (and something dwarves would have a great advantage in).

Even if a slowed down time was not introduced, a more realistic handling of hauling, mining speeds, and cave-ins alone would, I think, make offensive/defensive mining in DF be a reasonable representation of the real-life strategy, complete with its (or a reasonable facsimile of) real-life pros and cons.

Mining should be prohibitively dangerous and expensive during a siege in DF because of similar reasons to those that made it so in real life.  It would have required significant wood supply for supports, a LOT of time (weeks, months, maybe even years), somewhat skilled labor, and stealth.  Risks involved cave-ins (due to hasty mining, poor judgment, or counter-mining) and suffocation (burning supports for collapse).

Also, as a proposition for detecting incoming tunnelers, may I suggest this real-life, historical solution to the matter? -> 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, before anyone starts discussing whether or not or how to implement some sort of siege-mode or whatever time, PLEASE go to this thread to discuss it!  There are really good ideas here!   

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2010, 03:13:39 pm »

Maybe sappers that sneak in and disable traps and drawbridges are the answer,though i think weak walls like sand should be vulnerable,as long as the tunneler doesnt dig down 100 levels.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:02 am »

For!

More interesting sieges, more interesting underground, and it would most likely be optional anyway.

As for pathfinding problems and enemies digging into unknown areas of the fort, they could start a Dig task at likely points if no other mode of attack is applicable. Walls around doors, down from above the entrance or under walls would be good such spots, whether or not they actually succeed in digging into the fort.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 08, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »

There could also be a pause-and-recenter-notification if a dwarf hears unauthorized digging nearby.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »

i would not mind if

they dig only in soils

and

they can only dig 9 or so tiles of rock before giving up and relocating to try over,and the harder the rock the slower they dig(there not dwarfs that can swim threw rock like fish)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 08, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »

I think Dungeon Keeper did something similar to this, though I don't remember now whether the enemy tunnelers could go through smoothed walls or not.

Damn I miss that game. It doesn't work hardly at all on modern systems.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35