Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 372990 times)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)
« Reply #2175 on: August 12, 2009, 11:35:09 am »

So when does this version with actually usable menues and a working window resize come out? Cos it  says i have d13 and all of the problems are stll there.

(On a side note: Whos awesome idea was it to change all the key bindings and ship the game with optimal init settings? It makes the game so playable! </irony>)

didn't know the game was even going to ship, good to know that it has shipped though.  that means that toady has funding from a producer, which means he might have help, and at the very least it means he gets a decent chunk of money.  good news indeed, do you know what stores are going to be carrying it?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50:13 pm »

I think you need to recheck your definition of "ship".

Let's see. What would make a good one... maybe.. DF.. and Dugeon Keeper 2? Yeah, that's a match made in heaven.

..but is it het, yaoi or yuri?  ???

Eheh. More seriously - yes, resizing has bugs. I'm aware of that; and yes, I'm going to fix them. Eventually. They're not the most critical bugs, though; that would be the input mess (now sorted.. I think), and the memory corruption that's stopping d14. Whether resizing will also be completed before d14 depends on how much time sorting out the other issues take, which depends at least partially on my understanding of C++.

Incidentally, I have almost no understanding of C++. C, sure; other languages, sure. C++, nope. ..so, yeah.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »

the memory corruption that's stopping d14 [...] which depends at least partially on my understanding of C++.

Incidentally, I have almost no understanding of C++. C, sure; other languages, sure. C++, nope. ..so, yeah.
Corruption or Leaks?  I'll give your code a once over in the morning if I have a chance.  As it is now, when I get home, I'm going to sleep for a few hours.  It's been a long day.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:39 pm »

Corruption. There may also be leaks, but those wouldn't block d14.

Well, I think I've got a handle on it, but hints are all welcome.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #2179 on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

hints are all welcome
Hint: use tree approach to memory management. A node (some object) creates branches (other objects, system resources) and keeps track of them. Delete all tracked objects in the destructor. Apply pattern over all code.
Objects that should be shared between the 'trees' need a manager that keeps track of them - use reference counting/smart pointers if you get any problems.
When you do this, you can get only pseudo-leaks when you don't delete stuff you no longer use and memory fragmentation (pretty hard to avoid with busy code... web browsers are a good example).

I'm too busy with other stuff tho, so nothing more specific I'm afraid ~_~

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 12, 2009, 04:50:33 pm »

DF-specific hints, I mean. Not something like that. Besides, DF doesn't seem to have any actual memory leaks, and it certainly doesn't have any in code I control. (Well, there's no dynamic memory allocation in there.. resizing vectors, yes, but nothing more complex)

Besides that. Trust me, I know how to manage memory. Though I'd like to say, for anything complex enough to need "managers", I'd implement a garbage collector of some sort. Definitely not reference counting; besides being slow (in most scenarios), you know how well they get along with cycles.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:56:13 pm by Baughn »

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2181 on: August 12, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »

Let's see. What would make a good one... maybe.. DF.. and Dugeon Keeper 2? Yeah, that's a match made in heaven.

..but is it het, yaoi or yuri?  ???

I am so glad I hadn't started drinking my soda when I read that.  ;D
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 13, 2009, 03:55:06 am »

Whether resizing will also be completed before d14 depends on how much time sorting out the other issues take, which depends at least partially on my understanding of C++.

Oh really? I could help then, I consider myself 'capable' in C++.

Edit: It only compiles in linux? I won't be able to help then, can't program without being able to compile/test :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:02:44 am by Nexii Malthus »

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:08 am »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but it appears that its no longer possible to change the in game music in all the 40d# versions of the game by replacing song_game.ogg with another .ogg file with an identical name. This is rather disappointing, since there were some really enjoyable music mods for DF.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:35:42 am by Da King »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 13, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »

I really have no idea what would cause that. It's not like there's anything special about the included file; you should be able to drop in another and give it the same name, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: August 13, 2009, 12:32:08 pm »

d14's not-really-out, but the latest git repository version is now basically d14. Anyone on linux who feels like testing it, go ahead.

Unfortunately, the shortcut displays are still messed up. *grumble*

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:50 pm »

I really have no idea what would cause that. It's not like there's anything special about the included file; you should be able to drop in another and give it the same name, right?

You should, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work at all when you do this. Replacing the file just results in silence.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:48 pm »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but it appears that its no longer possible to change the in game music in all the 40d# versions of the game by replacing song_game.ogg with another .ogg file with an identical name. This is rather disappointing, since there were some really enjoyable music mods for DF.

Really? Huh. It should work, as far as I can recall, although I haven't tried it since I first ported the code to FmodEx, and changes have been made since then. It just loads the file - it doesn't make any assumptions about it's content/length/whatever. I'll have a look once I get net back to my dev machine.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:22 am »

You should, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work at all when you do this. Replacing the file just results in silence.

Are you sure you renamed the file to the name of the original as well?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: August 14, 2009, 11:38:19 am »

Are you sure you renamed the file to the name of the original as well?
It probably isn't relevent, in this case, but people do get caught out by Windows 'hiding' the extension, etc, etc.

"Tools | Folder Options | View" and under "Advanced Settings" untick the "Hide extensions for known file types" (at least on this flavour of Windows, so YMMV).

The number of times I've seen "foo.bat.txt" files (or similar) written by people is... well, more than a handful. (Though not enough for "If I had a penny for every... I'd be a millionaire" territory.  Which is good, because nobody is offering me a penny, so I don't feel so bad at losing out. :))
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147