Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373041 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)
« Reply #2115 on: July 29, 2009, 05:29:35 am »

I have spotted a more serious bug that has seriously garbled the build menu.

Screenshot in spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is with partial print and single buffer on. If I press TAB to expand the menu bar it displays without the garbled mess, although the positioning of the (hotkeys) is unevenly spaced and seems wrong somehow.

I can more or less still use the menus from memory and what is still visible... but that's still fairly annoying regardless and would frustrate a newbie.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:31:13 am by MuonDecay »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 29, 2009, 05:42:37 am »

I second that for the win32 (fullscreen and windowed) text version too.
Finis sanctificat media.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 29, 2009, 10:43:42 am »

I second that for the win32 (fullscreen and windowed) text version too.

I have also seen this problem.

Phrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 29, 2009, 12:49:55 pm »

"I can't be bothered to read 143 pages of history, so please stop whatever you're doing to correct this problem that I uniquely am having that totally hasn't been mentioned at all during the previous 2 pages."
/sarcasm

Seriously people.  I realize that 143 pages of historical work is a bit much to ask you to go through, but is it *really* too difficult for you to read the past 2 pages worth of posts *before* you post?  Really?

(the front post should probably be updated, but nobody reads it anyway so what's the use.  Is there a way to sticky a single post within a thread?)
Known issues:
Mouse designations stick.  Yup, they do.  Moving the mouse over the menu or outside the application will correct this.  V is working on code to fix this (may have already submitted it), but it won't be corrected until Toady releases a new version because the code must be compiled in

Menu letters are weird.  Yup, they are.  Probably something to do with the way the keyboard code was tweaked, but it's again a Toady issue to correct, so you'll have to wait for a new release.  All you people using tilesets (like the Mayday folks)... you do realize how the tilesets work right?  It replaces characters that are normally used (like the ASCII ones) with other tiles (like round tables or pictures of dogs).  The game used those same tiles for certain normal-text functions, on the assumption that they'd be, you know, normal text tiles.  Should those maybe be separated?  Maybe, maybe not, there's arguments both ways.

This thread will be far more useful if people will take the 5 minutes necessary to actually participate in the discussion and work towards a better version, than just jumping in, announcing that your time is more valuable than anyone elses and therefore they need to read what you wrote but you can't take the time to read what has been previously written.

/rant.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:15 pm »

http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/issues#list

the mouse getting stuck doesn't seem to be there, though there is another mouse issue.

i guess phrost isn't as good of a reader as he thought since in the first post it has this link to a bug tracker and lists most of his "updates"

so phrost here's a rant you should take to heart, mind you it isn't totally accurate:
"I can't be bothered to read 143 pages of history, so please stop whatever you're doing to correct this problem that I uniquely am having that totally hasn't been mentioned at all during the previous 2 pages."
/sarcasm

Seriously people.  I realize that 143 pages of historical work is a bit much to ask you to go through, but is it *really* too difficult for you to read the past 2 pages worth of posts *before* you post?  Really?

(the front post should probably be updated, but nobody reads it anyway so what's the use.  Is there a way to sticky a single post within a thread?)
Known issues:
Mouse designations stick.  Yup, they do.  Moving the mouse over the menu or outside the application will correct this.  V is working on code to fix this (may have already submitted it), but it won't be corrected until Toady releases a new version because the code must be compiled in

Menu letters are weird.  Yup, they are.  Probably something to do with the way the keyboard code was tweaked, but it's again a Toady issue to correct, so you'll have to wait for a new release.  All you people using tilesets (like the Mayday folks)... you do realize how the tilesets work right?  It replaces characters that are normally used (like the ASCII ones) with other tiles (like round tables or pictures of dogs).  The game used those same tiles for certain normal-text functions, on the assumption that they'd be, you know, normal text tiles.  Should those maybe be separated?  Maybe, maybe not, there's arguments both ways.

This thread will be far more useful if people will take the 5 minutes necessary to actually participate in the discussion and work towards a better version, than just jumping in, announcing that your time is more valuable than anyone elses and therefore they need to read what you wrote but you can't take the time to read what has been previously written.

/rant.

Phrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 29, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »

http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/issues#list

the mouse getting stuck doesn't seem to be there, though there is another mouse issue.

i guess phrost isn't as good of a reader as he thought since in the first post it has this link to a bug tracker and lists most of his "updates"

so phrost here's a rant you should take to heart, mind you it isn't totally accurate:

Wow, it's like you didn't even read what I wrote...
Look back over the past 2-4 pages.  See how many times "mouse button stays clicked" type errors are reported.  See how many times "the menus are messed up" is mentioned.
Read back through for Baughn or Veroule's posts, and see how many times they have said "yes, that's a known issue, it will be fixed when Toady releases the next version".  And yet people still keep posting those same issues as though they are unique, all because "sorry, I can't be bothered to read through 143 pages".  It doesn't take reading through 143 pages to see it, just reading through the last 2 or so to see if your issue has already been reported, then maybe skimming back to see if it's already been answered.

edit: Here's a link to Veroule's next-to-last post, which happened to be regarding the menus.  It's on page 136, and this is currently page 143.
#2: Right justified: Known issue, I am pretty sure it is something Toady has to fix.
#3:  INTERFACE.TXT:  The syntax is not going to change.  It was designed to be similar to the format for the raws.  You can use both : and ] as bindings.  It is most readily done in the bindings view, but if you want to do it manually they are named colon and rbracket respectively.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:00:15 pm by Phrost »

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 29, 2009, 03:06:16 pm »

It's on page 136, and this is currently page 143.

Menu letters are weird.  Yup, they are.  Probably something to do with the way the keyboard code was tweaked, but it's again a Toady issue to correct, so you'll have to wait for a new release.

Some of the in-game menus are garbled with the hotkey being wrong in some places, and being in the wrong place in some cases, and both in some instances.

The build menu shows this error.

WinXP SP3 Radeon 800. Windowed mode.
Comments
kurokikaze July 18, 2009 | link

I confirm. Windows XP SP3 Gainward Bliss GeForce 9600 GSO PCX. Fullscreen mode.
Comment
I confirm. Windows XP SP3 Gainward Bliss GeForce 9600 GSO PCX. Fullscreen mode.
or cancel
gabehollombe July 22, 2009 | link

Confirmed on Mac OS X on a MacBook 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo with the Mayday tileset.
Comment
Confirmed on Mac OS X on a MacBook 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo with the Mayday tileset.
or cancel
WolframH 3 days ago | link

Confirmed on Win XP SP2 GeForce 6600GT Windowed mode.

so you don't apply to the comments you made because why?  reread your posts carefully and you'll see that you asked for the first post to get updated when there is a link to a bug tracker, effectively the closest thing to a "stickied post" as it gets.  read back 2 pages and you won't find either of the collaborators confirming the issues you griped about.  i didn't say that you didn't have a right to gripe, but i am pointing out that you are one of those people you are griping about, and i guess since you didn't see that makes you a hypocrite as well.  personally i think that people confirming bugs that have already been acknowledged aren't as bad as someone trying to keep people without much time from trying to help out.  we all have our gripes.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 29, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

The thread is getting a bit long, though. I think, by next release, I'll ask toady to unsticky this one and sticky a new one.

For bugs, it'd really be appreciated if you'd use the bug-tracker; typically, by the time I find the free time to update the first post, I'll also fix the bug.. makes it a bit pointless otherwise.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 29, 2009, 07:47:37 pm »

I understand you're trying to help, but your preconception has caused you to totally gloss over the details of at least 1 report. Clicking the spoiler in my report, for example, shows that the problems with the menu arise from serious kerning and text placement issues which are unique to 40d13 and not present in either 40d or 40d9 which I have both used with tilesets and in fact the very same tile and graphics sets, with the same save games. The letters themselves are not screwed up. The grid they are being placed on is.

You're trying to help, but that level of prejudgment is detrimental to to the effort.

Strictly speaking each subrelease should have its own thread for the sake of workflow and information accessibility. Because of the logistics of forums this isn't practical so this thread is a compromise. In that much information the bug reports of volunteers will sometimes be redundant and beyond that as most of them are not software engineers the bulk of it will be partially unhelpful. Please don't hold volunteers to too high a standard of work. They're trying to help and likely are succeeding in helping more than it seems on the surface.

Also bear in mind that from a programming perspective, it is important to know whether, for example, a specific problem is happening to several people, repeatedly, and the variety of environments in which it occurs is also helpful. What may appear at a glance to be redundant can actually be helpful to the lead designer.These things communicate how serious an issue is, how repeatable it is, and contribute snippets of information that assist debugging.

This project could certainly use a JIRA to manage tasks and bug reports.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:58:09 pm by MuonDecay »

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:17 pm »

I understand you're trying to help, but your preconception has caused you to totally gloss over the details of at least 1 report. Clicking the spoiler in my report, for example, shows that the problems with the menu arise from serious kerning and text placement issues which are unique to 40d13 and not present in either 40d or 40d9 which I have both used with tilesets and in fact the very same tile and graphics sets, with the same save games. The letters themselves are not screwed up. The grid they are being placed on is.

You're trying to help, but that level of prejudgment is detrimental to to the effort.

Strictly speaking each subrelease should have its own thread for the sake of workflow and information accessibility. Because of the logistics of forums this isn't practical so this thread is a compromise. In that much information the bug reports of volunteers will sometimes be redundant and beyond that as most of them are not software engineers the bulk of it will be partially unhelpful. Please don't hold volunteers to too high a standard of work. They're trying to help and likely are succeeding in helping more than it seems on the surface.

Also bear in mind that from a programming perspective, it is important to know whether, for example, a specific problem is happening to several people, repeatedly, and the variety of environments in which it occurs is also helpful. What may appear at a glance to be redundant can actually be helpful to the lead designer.These things communicate how serious an issue is, how repeatable it is, and contribute snippets of information that assist debugging.

This project could certainly use a JIRA to manage tasks and bug reports.
I second the JIRA;  Really comes in handy on OpenSource projects.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 30, 2009, 11:39:58 am »

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but for me, in adventure mode, when trying to visit a site (">" while traveling) nothing happens. I'll try to bind a different key.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 30, 2009, 11:41:14 am »

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but for me, in adventure mode, when trying to visit a site (">" while traveling) nothing happens. I'll try to bind a different key.

i think you use spacebar instead ???
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 30, 2009, 02:49:42 pm »

I'm almost certain it's fixed in d14, or -head. Unfortunately, Veroule's latest round of fixes also scrambled the DF<->libgraphics interface (perfectly normal, really), so -head doesn't actually work at the moment.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:49 pm »

hai gais i read the first 100 pages but got bored so heres mai bugs.
da mouse is da stuck
shotcuts keys be in da wrong place
I canneh enter locations in travel mode
zooming puts lines on all of de tiles

Sorry if these have been mentioned repeatedly in the last couple of pages that I didn't read.

-

Really though, if you're going to spend time on any forum get used to people not reading the last couple of pages- unless it's some tiny forum where you immediately ban anyone that does something stupid you're gonna see a whole lot of people doing this. We're pretty single minded creatures so when we want to say something the usualy thought processes for how to not be annoying about it are frequently offline.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:41 pm »

I'm almost certain it's fixed in d14, or -head. Unfortunately, Veroule's latest round of fixes also scrambled the DF<->libgraphics interface (perfectly normal, really), so -head doesn't actually work at the moment.
If you're referring to the public gfx git repository:

Code: [Select]
$ git pull
Already up-to-date.

Kinda too bad the entire game isn't opensource.  I've been looking everywhere for a weather simulator to add to an opensource project I contribute to.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 147