Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373056 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I'll change the name according to your suggestion. Why not?

That said, I don't have that problem. Maybe if you try another layout in your profile the problem'll go away?

Nabobalis:
Be aware that ldd won't show libraries that are inside df_linux/libs/, unless you set the same LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable that is set by the df script, and those libraries will be used in preference to the system ones.

I suggest you move every library out of libs/, except perhaps fmodex.so; that one should be safe.

Also, I've figured out a solution to this mess. It's simple enough, really; rewrite the startup script to check for the presence of the required libraries and, if they're missing, attempt to install them instead of supplying our own. It'll take some work, though, and chances are it'll never work on debian then, since debian ships with older libraries than Toady compiles DF against. Oh well, them's the breaks.

(Not to worry. There's a solution for that too, it's just.. well, what we do now.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)
« Reply #2086 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:38 pm »

I've always needed a reason to switch to Arch... ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 24, 2009, 10:29:15 pm »

Well, I voted that there were no bugs and it was faster, mostly because I already know these shortcuts and never bothered to look until now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm on a laptop, Graphics Card is an Intel GMA 4500 MHD. Running in Windowed mode.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 25, 2009, 11:10:23 am »

I've been convinced *not* to try force-installing libraries, and bundling all of them would be insane, so the approach I'm going for is to have the startup script examine the system it's running on, and adapt the DF install to that.

Exactly how that works..?

Well, I don't currently know. I've got one problem fixed, but there will still be bugs; however, I intend to, as far as possible, bake the solutions to those bugs into the startup script as they turn up. You, my beta testers, will get to help. Aren't you happy?  ;D

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 25, 2009, 04:19:19 pm »

I've been convinced *not* to try force-installing libraries, and bundling all of them would be insane, so the approach I'm going for is to have the startup script examine the system it's running on, and adapt the DF install to that.

Well, I don't currently know. I've got one problem fixed, but there will still be bugs; however, I intend to, as far as possible, bake the solutions to those bugs into the startup script as they turn up. You, my beta testers, will get to help. Aren't you happy?  ;D

Can't wait ;D but I'm trying to sort out my Arch distro lmao

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 25, 2009, 04:48:14 pm »

What you really need is some type of "configure" or "installer" script that a user has to run first, just to make sure all of the required libraries are present.  Perhaps the startup script could be taught to look for some flag in the data/ folder and, if not present, just display a message to run the "Setup" utility.

As far as how it works, you should just be able to run ldd on the dwarfort.exe program.  Anything already installed system-wide will match, and anything that needs to run out of the libs/ folder will show up 'not found'.

Another option is to depend on distro package systems to take care of all that for you.  I know at least a half-dozen of us have Gentoo ebuilds for df, and rpms/debs/etc shouldn't be much more effort.

--K

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 25, 2009, 04:59:55 pm »

I could do that, but the self-configuration will take no time whatsoever, so there's really no reason not to do it on every startup. That would also make DF more easily portable.

I'd do that if I actually have to ask the user any questions, but this seems unlikely.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 26, 2009, 11:31:10 am »

I apologize for asking this, but is it possible you could put the link to d12 back up? I mucked up my old version and need to re-install. I've tried d13, but I can't get around the various input bugs, which makes it impossible to play. :(

Edit: Nevermind, I found the file.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:43:12 am by GenericOverusedName »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:04 am »

I have some tiles issues with zooming. I set tile count the way they are square, but with a window drag action/mouse scrolling they become rectangular (height of a tile is more than a width), thus letters are harder to read.

Also could you make an ability to zoom to 32x32? I want to experience full graphics details :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 27, 2009, 06:41:24 am »

No. 80x25 is and will remain the minimum.

Exactness of zooming is something I'm working on, however.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43:41 am »

by 32x32 I didn't mean the game resolution in tiles, I meant pixels per tile.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 27, 2009, 06:45:14 am »

That ought to work now.. granted, I don't have a 32x32 tileset to test against, but there's no obvious reason why it shouldn't.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:27 am »

I have a few, I can send you some tiles. I meant for now it zooms to rectangular tiles of some size close to 16x10 or something like that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 27, 2009, 07:37:21 am »

96x96 graphic set works fine.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll change the name according to your suggestion. Why not?

That said, I don't have that problem. Maybe if you try another layout in your profile the problem'll go away?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 147