Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373114 times)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Couldn't get the release version of d13 to run properly under Windows Vista Home Premium:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was a little surprised to run into this on the Windows version, I had something similar under Ubuntu when desktop effects were enabled.  Any ideas what would cause this under Windows?
Basically the same thing as on Linux - bad support for opengl, especially when tied to compositing.

Try shutting off windows' desktop effects - it's got some, I know. You want "windows 2000 mode", or whatever it calls the less-prettified version.
Vista defines a new pixel format flag that you must set to make compositing work correctly:
Code: [Select]
// Windows Vista compositing support.
#if !defined(PFD_SUPPORT_COMPOSITION)
#define PFD_SUPPORT_COMPOSITION 0x00008000
#endif

OSVERSIONINFO osvi = {0};
if (!GetVersionEx(&osvi))
    Error("GetVersionEx() failed.");
// When running under Windows Vista or later support desktop composition.
if (osvi.dwMajorVersion > 6 || (osvi.dwMajorVersion == 6 && osvi.dwMinorVersion >= 0))
    pfd.dwFlags |=  PFD_SUPPORT_COMPOSITION;
I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth trying. Forcing people to disable their desktop effects isn't ideal.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:14:22 am by Baboonanza »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

It seems odd that they can't just do that by default. Also, windows 7 doesn't have the problem, so it' not really much of an issue.

Anyway. That code belongs in SDL, not in DF; I'd suggest you tell them this.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Well, it turns out that the vista model does in fact do the right thing.

*Not* setting that flag makes windows turn off composition while DF is running. Setting it allows composition to remain on, but requires careful rewriting of the application in question.

..so there shouldn't be a problem. Eh.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

The Wanderer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

(Sorry to reply to a post some days old - I wasn't registered before, and I was reading backwards through older posts to try to find a description of exactly what VBO is when I ran across this issue.)

It doesn't want everything in your home directory, it wants everything under the current directory. Just cd to it !

There's actually a fix so that you don't have to do this.

Open the 'df' file in a text editor, and immediately before the line which actually runs dwarfort.exe, add these two lines:

Code: [Select]
DF_DIR=$(dirname "$0")
cd "${DF_DIR}"

This should change to the proper directory automatically before running the game, and revert to the original directory when you exit, so that the game "just works" in a completely transparent fashion. At the very least, it works that way for me.

As far as I know, the things it uses which weren't in the original 'df' script (those being $() subshell syntax and the dirname program) are required by POSIX, so I don't think there should be any portability issues with this - but I could be mistaken. If there aren't, it might be a good idea to add this to the "official release" 'df' script...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:49:54 am by The Wanderer »

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF doesn't link directly to libjpeg, only to sdl-image.

I'd suggest removing the df_linux/libs version of sdl-image, and using a system-wide one. The bundled version appears to not work so well with your system.
VICTORY!!! It works! Now to try with the Mayday tiles...

EDIT: The game runs, but the keybindings are a little weird... everything looks normal in the settings though (i.e., "f" is set to start the finder in the keybindings, but I have to press "e" instead). Is there a solution for this earlier in the thread?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:43:00 pm by soupcan »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I saw in the list under Entity Positions that priests had been updated... I can't recall hearing about this specifically... but does this mean we're going to be able to build/designate temples?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FYI, this isn't the right thread for that, but to answer your question, no, I don't think we're going to be getting much (if any) religion in fortress mode in the next version. I think he's just updating how priests and other entity positions work in general.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zchinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anywhere I can download 40d11? 13 is buggy for me, and it seems 11 is all the rage.

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anywhere I can download 40d11? 13 is buggy for me, and it seems 11 is all the rage.

Just go to the first page of this thread, copy the link address for the 40d13, copy the address to the URL field of your browser and change the 13 to a lucky 11 

Worked for me a few days ago when I tried to compare 40d13 and 40d12.

Timo

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile

I like d13. I don't use the zooming or the screen resizing. I just like feeling up to date. But the bug with mining designation sticking (Which means I have to exit all the wait out of DF), is really painful. And occasionally, I'll get one where I am stuck with chop down trees (fixed by clicking my mouse). But the really ruining bug - is when the game starts automatically pressing space. I don't know if it's the d13, or my use of windows vista.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile

soo errm i don't mean to be a push oner and all that and i'm sure everyone else may of asked this a thousand times now but i'm curios as to when 14 will be realeased because like most people who use windows (no idea about mac or linux) we can't wait to explore the new features (if any significant new ones
as well as the fixed interface and all that.

thankyou for your time :)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

dualR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like d13. I don't use the zooming or the screen resizing. I just like feeling up to date. But the bug with mining designation sticking (Which means I have to exit all the wait out of DF), is really painful. And occasionally, I'll get one where I am stuck with chop down trees (fixed by clicking my mouse). But the really ruining bug - is when the game starts automatically pressing space. I don't know if it's the d13, or my use of windows vista.
I used to have to quit out of it constantly too, but moving the mouse to the right window and clicking blank spaces a couple of times seems to fix it

Phrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

soo errm i don't mean to be a push oner and all that and i'm sure everyone else may of asked this a thousand times now but i'm curios as to when 14 will be realeased because like most people who use windows (no idea about mac or linux) we can't wait to explore the new features (if any significant new ones

You're mixing two things.  Toady is working on a completely new point release version, and only he knows the timing (or version number) for that release.  40d14 is functionally the same as 40d, except for the rendering/keyboard/mouse tweaks that have been made and listed in this thread.  40d14 will not provide you with any of the dev log features Toady has listed.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile

You're mixing two things.  Toady is working on a completely new point release version, and only he knows the timing (or version number) for that release.  40d14 is functionally the same as 40d, except for the rendering/keyboard/mouse tweaks that have been made and listed in this thread.  40d14 will not provide you with any of the dev log features Toady has listed.

the d# are supposed to add the functionality of zooming, window resizing, increasing cpu speed, etc that was missed in previous updates.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems that the Linux d13 Head won't load on Fedora 11.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 147