Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373106 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

DF is not meant to run on a 64-bit OS.

I have no problems with it on 64bit ubuntu. (other than the menu hot key positions and the mouse being stupid and doing the act like it's always mouse down thing).
getting the correct libraries to work in DF on ubuntu 64bit is a total b*tch.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

OK, i've found a problem

Sometimes when i go into the designation menus it locks up. I can still move the cursor around with the arrow keys, i can still move the mouse cursor around, but it places designations wherever it points with the mouse (but weirdly, not with the arrow keys)
I can't get off the designation menu with spacebar, and i can't even change which designation i have selected, it's stuck on whichever one it was on before it locked up.

Anyone else got this problem?

EDIT: I had enlarged the window slightly, and when i reloaded and kept it default size, it didn't do it again. Related or coincidence?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:51:06 am by doctorspoof »
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2tdittmar
Code: [Select]
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 1890.129
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 3781.76
clflush size : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp
Arch Linux with kernel26 2.6.30.1
ATI Radeon x1950GT with xf86-video-radeonhd 1.2.5 driver
xorg-server 1.6.1.901
sdl 1.2.13
sdl_image 1.2.7

What else? I guess, that's generally all, that's involved with running DF :)

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, i've found a problem

Sometimes when i go into the designation menus it locks up. I can still move the cursor around with the arrow keys, i can still move the mouse cursor around, but it places designations wherever it points with the mouse (but weirdly, not with the arrow keys)
I can't get off the designation menu with spacebar, and i can't even change which designation i have selected, it's stuck on whichever one it was on before it locked up.

EDIT: I had enlarged the window slightly, and when i reloaded and kept it default size, it didn't do it again. Related or coincidence?

I had the same problem too.  I had also resized my window, but I restarted and I still have the problem sometimes even without the resizing.  I did notice that sometimes hitting tab until the command section is larger will fix the problem.  But sometimes it doesn't.

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d12 is still available, just alter the download URL a bit.

It may be library issues, indeed. Debian tends to ship with very old libraries, [...]

That's why I use Debian testing :-)

OK. I downloaded DF40d12 and it runs fine. (execept that with the standard init file, the dialog for choosing FS or windowed did not disapear, minor problem IMHO)
I also tested it with my normal init file: also no frozen screen.

So the problem seems to be DF40d13 specific.

As I said, I run two systems
Desktop: AMD Athlon 64, ATI X800, debian testing 32bit, radeon driver;
Laptop: Core 2Duo, Nvidia NVS 140, Debian testing 64bit, nvidia proprietary driver (174??)

So I do not think that the CPU or GPU are related to the freeze problem.

Here the library versions on my desktop:
sdl1.2: 1.2.13-4+b
sdl-image: 1.2.6-3
libpng: 1.2.37-1
libglib2: 2.20.1-2

did I forget an important one?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Not that I can see. Well..

Try moving df_linux/libs out of the way, see if that helps. You'll have to keep libgraphics.so where it is, but the others might be causing trouble.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not that I can see. Well..

Try moving df_linux/libs out of the way, see if that helps. You'll have to keep libgraphics.so where it is, but the others might be causing trouble.

OK. moved the df libs except libgraphics of the way. Had to keep the libfmodex too. But I normally run without sound, so that should be ok.

Nevertheless, the screen still does not update when the game is unpaused. without the df specific libs df seemed a little bit unstable I had one crash to console without further error message, and the mouse-move-flickering seemed more pronounced. But this could be coincidence.

Did you chance the way the world graphics are updated from 40d12 to 40d13? I am still puzzled by the fact that the animations work when df is paused, but no screen updates during when the game is running.

Tomorrow I will see if I can download a Ubuntu live CD and try to test DF with this system. I tried the same with a Knoppix 5.1 but the Knoppix system lacked to many libraries.

Timo

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No, that's the oddest thing. There are some changes to the rendering code between d12 and d13, but nothing that would affect the rendering/pause loop. I did alter those a bit, but only after d13 was released.

If you'd been having the problem only with 40d13-head, that might explain it.. actually, how does d13-head run?

EDIT: Oh, you did try d13-head.

Okay.

I'm going to need some help from you to track this down. Trying to find the exact commit that broke it..

Could you download df from its git repository (in the first post), and use git-bisect to find that commit? I can walk you through it on IRC if you visit #bay12games.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:52:50 pm by Baughn »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had exactly this problem. I hadn't resized the window this session, although I have in the past. I found hitting escape worked a little in letting me escape the designation window and change designation, but the lock continued to occur right up until the human trade window suddenly popped up.

After I got past the goods selection the rest followed immediately without a break in between. After the trader was done talking the lock-up problem went away.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had exactly this problem. I hadn't resized the window this session, although I have in the past. I found hitting escape worked a little in letting me escape the designation window and change designation, but the lock continued to occur right up until the human trade window suddenly popped up.

If you get this again just move the mouse outside the dwarf fortress window (but don't click or you'll lose focus), the keys seem to work fine when you do this.

Disabling the mouse in the init file will also stop it happening again.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d13 froze on me.  I had just discovered a magma pipe.  I couldn't unpause or set down any designations, or leave the designations menu.

Was running on fullscreen MikeMaydayMAx.

oh and I'd like to get a dl link to 40d12 if it's not too much trouble

Pleeb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When attempting mouse designations, it got stuck designating with the mouse. Couldn't get it to stop. Froze shortly thereafter.

But it runs faster than 40d!

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, that's the oddest thing. There are some changes to the rendering code between d12 and d13, but nothing that would affect the rendering/pause loop. I did alter those a bit, but only after d13 was released.

[...]

I'm going to need some help from you to track this down. Trying to find the exact commit that broke it..

Could you download df from its git repository (in the first post), and use git-bisect to find that commit? I can walk you through it on IRC if you visit #bay12games.

Hi Baughn,

it took me some time to get a working build system and to familiarize myself with git and scon but voila:
somewhere in

[478359cfd0b0634bdf2ee2a76aed2833e78ca9e0] Converted rendering to phased loop

seems to be the offending change.
I tested with standard rendering and standard init file but my own savegames.

I briefly looked into the code but not being familiar with either of  OpenGL, SDL and the DF_libgraphics, I could not see anything obviously wrong :-).
Timo.

p.s. Wow. Being a sole CVS and make user up to now, I felt like a cave painter discovering GIMP when using git. Very nice, powerfull tool. Maybe I should change my own stuff to git too. One the other hand  it would be useful to start a multi-person, distributed development project first to really take advantage of git :-)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I can see how /that/ code would cause trouble. But the thing is, that commit's post-d13; d13 corresponds to commit b2dfeec69a0a19da9c77bb4350d3eebdb0c795c8, two days earlier.

Also, I later fixed the one bug in that commit that I could see causing this, but I could have missed something. Still, you may have been using an outdated 40d13-head; since you've got the git bit downloaded anyway, checkout master and see if the newest version still has the problem.

That aside, are you sure plain, non-head 40d13 still has the problem?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:16:36 am by Baughn »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

just a note, I wrote a parser of some sort in Maxscript (to eventually get some nice fortress renderings) text file export.

at the moment, it only looks through all the text files and gets a list of all the used tokens/tegs/whatever.

it took 70 seconds to go through a good sized fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 147