Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373105 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Hi,

i tested 40d13 + head (after July 11 20:00) on my Linux system (Debian testing, 32bit, ATI X800).
There seems to be a problem with the screen update when DF is _unpaused_.
when the game is paused, dwarfs and multi-item tiles blink as expected, when the game is unpaused the screen is not updated. F12 or pausing updates the screen.
I can reproduce this behaviour with STANDARD, PARTIAL:2 ACCUM_BUFFER, FRAME_BUFFER, and VBO.

I also experience a strange behavior while starting DF: If I start it by double clicking df, it crashes while beeing in the intro. If I start df from console, it works besides the screen update problem.

Here a typical error message I get in the console:
Using OpenGL output path with buffer objects

GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_mem.c function r300_mem_alloc line 225
Ran out of GART memory (for 1048576)!
Please consider adjusting GARTSize option.
Well, this is pretty obviously a driver problem; it fails to allocate.. one megabyte.... of graphics memory. Integrated gpu, I presume?

In any case, I suggest you follow the suggestion and adjust the GARTSize option, wherever that is.

EDIT: Actually, although it's failing to allocate the memory, it isn't reporting failure; if it did, DF would abort cleanly instead of crashing later. I can only imagine it's overwriting random memory somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:17:52 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,

Is there any way to port save games from 40d11 to 40d13? I just tried copying my save files over and I got "FATAL ERROR: Missing Creature Body Definition CAT_MOUTH"

Thanks,

Dave

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,

i tested 40d13 + head (after July 11 20:00) on my Linux system (Debian testing, 32bit, ATI X800).

[...]

Well, this is pretty obviously a driver problem; it fails to allocate.. one megabyte.... of graphics memory. Integrated gpu, I presume?

In any case, I suggest you follow the suggestion and adjust the GARTSize option, wherever that is.

Hi,

no, I have a ATI X800. At it's time it was not so bad. Nevertheless compared to recent GPUs it is quite slow.

GART:

Ahh. Stupid me. Should have used google before posting. As an excuse I can say that DF is the first program that run into this bug in the radeon driver on my computer and only after the update 40d9 40d13+head. So I assumed that it was a DF related problem.
Apparently the radeon driver fails to allocate a decent amount of GART memory (Graphics Address Remapping Table, used to transfer textures etc from main memory to GPU memory) on some cards and uses 8MB as a fall back solution. Setting the GART manually to 64MB solves this error message. 

no screen update problem:
still immanent. No change after resolving this GART thing. The screen get updated while the game is pause or by pressing F12, but freezes when the game is running. Any suggestions?

Timo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:31:42 pm by tdittmar »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers

Hi,

Is there any way to port save games from 40d11 to 40d13? I just tried copying my save files over and I got "FATAL ERROR: Missing Creature Body Definition CAT_MOUTH"

Thanks,

Dave
Go to the modding forum, and check the stickied topic about cat mouths.
You wouldn't happen to be using Mayday's graphics pack would you?
If so, you might as well just copy your raws from d11 to d13.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Hi,

[...]

Hi,

no, I have a ATI X800. At it's time it was not so bad. Nevertheless compared to recent GPUs it is quite slow.

GART:

Ahh. Stupid me. Should have used google before posting. As an excuse I can say that DF is the first program that run into this bug in the radeon driver on my computer and only after the update 40d9 40d13+head. So I assumed that it was a DF related problem.
Apparently the radeon driver fails to allocate a decent amount of GART memory (Graphics Address Remapping Table, used to transfer textures etc from main memory to GPU memory) on some cards and uses 8MB as a fall back solution. Setting the GART manually to 64MB solves this error message. 

still immanent. No change after resolving this GART thing. The screen get updated while the game is pause or by pressing F12, but freezes when the game is running. Any suggestions?
Install the 40d13-head version on top of 40d13 (I made some slight changes), and see if you get any interesting debugging output. GL errors, in particular.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I am using Mayday's pack. Thanks vm for the info!

-mj

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave
Go to the modding forum, and check the stickied topic about cat mouths.
You wouldn't happen to be using Mayday's graphics pack would you?
If so, you might as well just copy your raws from d11 to d13.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have weird mouse issues when trying to designate using it. It seems to stay locked, and I can't get it to let go... I'm not sure how I got it to stop being locked two times.

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,

[...]

Hi,

GART:

Ahh. Stupid me. Should have used google before posting.
[...]
 Setting the GART manually to 64MB solves this error message. 

Install the 40d13-head version on top of 40d13 (I made some slight changes), and see if you get any interesting debugging output. GL errors, in particular.

Hi,

I tried the new head version (12. July 23:25). Same problem. (only tested with STANDARD output method)
I also notice that sometimes I get a strange flickering screen while moving the mouse.

Here is the output form DF during the tests:

Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Room for 12000 vertices allocated
Ideal catalog size: 314x300
GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.
Asked for 112x70 grid
Setting to 1120x840, grid 112x70, zoom 1,000000
Room for 47040 vertices allocated
Frame 1 complete
Frame 2 complete
Frame 3 complete
Frame 4 complete
Frame 5 complete

I also tried to test DF on my Laptop (debian testing, 64bit, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M) to see if I can reproduce the problem there. But I had no luck:
First DF complained about missing libgtk-x11 libray - after I added /usr/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the DF script DF crashes with:
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64.
Is DF supposed to run under 64 bit Linux?

Timo

p.s. Sorry for the long post.

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Btw, I have exactly the same problems, as tdittmar has (with slightly different terminal output). Those two bugs are on the hub, but have no comments from Baughn. It seems, he couldn't manage to reproduce them.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No reproducey, no. And no, DF is not meant to run on a 64-bit OS, fortunately most of them ship with 32-bit environments.

The question I'm asking myself is whether this problem is caused by a bug on DF or in the OS/drivers. It's probably the latter, but I'm really not sure, and have no way to check...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF is not meant to run on a 64-bit OS.

I have no problems with it on 64bit ubuntu. (other than the menu hot key positions and the mouse being stupid and doing the act like it's always mouse down thing).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

Just downloaded it and tested it out, nice job.
Even though vanilla DF reached my FPS cap of 250 anyways, this helps with battles, instead of dropping to ~60 everytime someone starteed fighting, its keeping up in the 150's, even with moderate-scale battles going on. Good job :D
Only issue i found was that it didn't want to let me designate things at first, i opened designation menu, pressed [t] for trees, tried pressing enter to set one corner, but it wouldn't show up. All i did was close the menu and re-open it and it worked fine. Nothing to worry about :D
I think that even though the speed increase is what will attract most people to trying this out, I personally feel that the option of being able to resize and zoom in and out on the fly is the greatest benefit this version brings, probably because i've never had speed issues before.
I do like being able to zoom all the way out and see a dwarf run across the entire map at 250 fps.

So again, good job ^^
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

DF is not meant to run on a 64-bit OS.

I have no problems with it on 64bit ubuntu. (other than the menu hot key positions and the mouse being stupid and doing the act like it's always mouse down thing).
Right, but 64-bit ubuntu includes 32-bit ubuntu. So there you go.

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi again,

after some struggle with the Debian installation on my Laptop and manually installing ia32-libs-gtk since apt has the illusion that this package  is not available, I was able to run my DF on my Laptop.

I can reproduce the problem there. No screen update when DF is in unpaused.

Since the machines are quite different (Desktop: AMD Athlon 64, ATI X800, debian testing 32bit, radeon driver; Laptop: Core 2Duo, Nvidia NVS 140, Debian testing 64bit, nvidia proprietary driver) I think we can rule out the GPU deriver.
Therefore the problem is probably related to the gtk/sdl libs  used in Debian or due to DF.
I am a little bit unwilling to install Debian stable or SID or even another system on my machines just to test DF :-)
So is there someone else who has this problems and is not running Debian or is there someone who is running Debian but has no problems?
What is your system virus_found?

Since I have used 40d9 before, Would it make sense to test if I can reproduce the problem in the 40d12 Version? Is this version still available?

Timo

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

40d12 is still available, just alter the download URL a bit.

It may be library issues, indeed. Debian tends to ship with very old libraries, and while DF has most of its dependencies bundled, it's missing the more common ones.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 147