Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373145 times)

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have tried 40d13, but nothing would show on the screen besides the first column. The sound works just fine. 40d12 and 40d11 work as they are supposed to. Help?

Oh, and what is VBO?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No we don't have to support all keyboards in the world; we will just selectively support the keyboards of all users of DF.  The lookup table is provided by the OS, why should another one be included?  If you are saying that current OS's have a lot of extra baggage, then I must agree.
I suppose you're right.
I don't really think there will ever be a reason to remove the common letters and symbols used by English and many other languages, but at some point more symbols and letters will probably be added.
That would be good.  It'd be nice to get things down to one item = one tile.  No more bags with eyes.  ;)
One comment on your code, expect it to crash frequently.
Its a mockup I wrote in ten minutes.  Were it something you would be checking in it'd be far more baroque.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

..also, you really, really shouldn't be worried about the CPU cost of keyboard input. Ever.
Not a problem on any machine capable of running DF  at all.  More concerned about potential side-effects of running in unicode mode but I should do some tests to see if those even still exist.

Agnostic Paladin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

13 seems a bit faster in general, but nothing huge. The mouse scrolling is very cool, but either switching between fullscreen/windowed (so I could find out that Manager can't handle d13) or moving the mouse over the window while it was windowed caused persistent flickering of the entire DF display, even after going back to fullscreen.

Perhaps this is related to having mouse set to off?

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

40d13 on Windows XP, w/ ATI Radeon HD 4800:

- Maximizing the window before embark causes the program to crash right after selecting Play Now! and pressing Enter.
- If I play around a little bit with zooming and resizing the window, coming back to the normal zoom level (where characters can be seen clearly) becomes impossible, no matter how much I scroll the mouse back and forth.

This is without playing with the init options at all, and selecting windowed mode when the prompt comes up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:28:45 pm by isitanos »

Hieda no Akyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d13 on Ubuntu 9.04 - The input wasn't working correctly, so I assumed it would recreate a default input file if I delete it. Right?
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 265x263
Segmentation fault
...fuck... Looks like SOMEONE forgot a rather important sanity check.
P.S. Yes, putting in a new interface.txt fixed it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:59:58 am by Hieda no Akyu »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

13 seems a bit faster in general, but nothing huge. The mouse scrolling is very cool, but either switching between fullscreen/windowed (so I could find out that Manager can't handle d13) or moving the mouse over the window while it was windowed caused persistent flickering of the entire DF display, even after going back to fullscreen.

Well, no.

I've eliminated some sources of while-zooming flickering from d14; hopefully that'll cover it, but it shouldn't be persistent so I'm not all that hopeful.

Could you describe exactly what you have to do to trigger the problem?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am using DF on WindowsXP right now and experiencing problems with the mouse.

After he first klick with the mouse the keyboard is messed up. The mouse then auto-designates by moving the cursor on the map and I cannot leave the designation-menu anymore. When pressing keys to move (no matter on which axis) there is a high chance, the key remains pressed (not physically of course).

The menu is messed up too, as seen earlier in the topic.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Yes, known bug. Fixed for d14, I think.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

foradan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On Mac OS X the action menus do not display well.  The (a) indicating that pressing a does this menu item is displayed at a random horizontal position.
This is using a 16x16 font in graphics mode.

Sometimes, when digging most of the keys other than the cursor movement keys stop working, so that no digging can be specified.

[edit:] Hmm, this does look very like the problems reported for other OS versions.  I ignored the other messages at first after searching for Mac, since we had tried it on windows and didn't encounter problems.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:38:19 am by foradan »

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After he first klick with the mouse the keyboard is messed up. The mouse then auto-designates by moving the cursor on the map and I cannot leave the designation-menu anymore. When pressing keys to move (no matter on which axis) there is a high chance, the key remains pressed (not physically of course).
Oh, so that's what triggers it.  I noticed this misbehavior, but didn't realize what I was doing that caused it.

Zoom is annoying in d13.  It seems now if I give any zoom command, I cannot get back to the state DF booted in, where my font is crisp and uses almost all of the screen.  I can get a crisp font using a smaller part of the screen, or use the full screen and get scaling artifiacts (grid lines).

(Next release, give us a way to lock out the zoom function.  The mousewheel is one of the easier inputs to accidentally bump.)

With both of the above and the submenu glitch, d13 seems to be the worst vintage in the test series I've tasted (out of d9 and d11 on).  Except for the "BROKEN" text in the help (and who uses the help when we have the wiki), d12 was perfect. (Well, aside from the caravan bypassing me when shift-D says I'm accessible, but that's not your department...)

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Zoom is annoying in d13.  It seems now if I give any zoom command, I cannot get back to the state DF booted in

Have you tried F12? It should reset the zoom level to its default. My problem is I can only seem to zoom out and back to normal, which works well, but zooming in does nothing. The graphics and zooming issues I was having before are otherwise gone.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried F12? It should reset the zoom level to its default.
F12 snaps to a setting that's just a hair denser than the correct, crisp, resolution.  By my count, it appears to be 155x67, when the optimal gridsize is 154x65.  My resolution is unusual, 1400x1050, with a 9x16 font.  (I'm using a laptop, and it's always best to use an LCD screen's native resolution.)

Since the resolutions do not divide evenly, perhaps F12 is snapping to the lowest gridsize that leaves no black space, instead of to the highest gridsize that can fit into the display without scaling.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Next release, give us a way to lock out the zoom function.  The mousewheel is one of the easier inputs to accidentally bump.)
I suggest mousewheel-button for this feature.  Very difficult to push except on purpose.

Agnostic Paladin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Well, no.

I've eliminated some sources of while-zooming flickering from d14; hopefully that'll cover it, but it shouldn't be persistent so I'm not all that hopeful.

Could you describe exactly what you have to do to trigger the problem?

I noticed it as soon as I used F11 to switch to windowed; there was a lot of flickering as soon as I did that. I thought it was just due to being windowed, but once I switched back to fullscreen, I was still getting some (but less) flicker.

I'll experiment a bit more this evening to see if I can narrow that down some for you.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 147