Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373166 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

DJDD: This thread is specifically for bugs in the 40d# versions. Bugs related to gameplay still go in the bug reports forum.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Right, that's it. I'm moving the project over to github; the bandwidth's better, and this thread does not make a good bug-tracker anymore, if it ever did.

Anyone with a bug, try to register it in http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/issues. I'll try to register those I find, but I could easily miss something.

Veroule, from now on, please push to there. You'll need to make an account before I can add you as a contributor, though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:29:58 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm confused. We're not posting in the designated DF Bug Reports forum?

On another note. Maydays latest MIX tileset doesn't appear to work properly. Dwarfs appear to each have been dipped into a primary color of paint. It could be that they're trying to a new tactic to scaring away Carp, but I sermise that such folly could not be the work of my Dwarves. Needless to say, it is how it is...
D12:

D13:

D13 INIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the default graphics that come with the game- what shows up if you turn graphics on in init but don't install any.
You probably just overwrote all of the stuff in your old file huh?

If you get another copy of the raw->graphics folder from the mayday pack and copy that stuff over again it will look like what you are used to.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aren't Mayday's graphics are still BMP instead of PNG?  It could just be an issue of recoding the tile.  (Open in your favorite editor and save to PNG...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No, it still reads BMPs just fine.
PNGs are preferred for the compression support, that's all.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Firstly, that was one awesome cute little adventure mode spoiler!

Also, issue I have noticed - mouse is no longer viable for mining... game registers when you click to start placing tiles for mining etc, but does not register when you unclick, resulting in streams of random tiles being marked to be mined out when you try to move the mouse.  No other problems on my one juuust yet
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aren't Mayday's graphics are still BMP instead of PNG?  It could just be an issue of recoding the tile.  (Open in your favorite editor and save to PNG...)
Well, precisely what I expect the problem is is that it overwrote the .txt files that say which graphics to use for what.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has to do with the way the tiles are handled. There is color A B C... this is easiest to see with smoothed and then engraved floors (if you have them obscured.) If you've got one of those tilesets where a smoothed floor is basically a + but an engraved floor has extra lines making it into a spiral or laying down a bunch of small squares in the corners. The game makes both of those from the same tile in the font file.
So engravings have a hidden third color, while smoothed floors don't...?
Now, with doors you've surely noticed that sometimes it is a black border with a whatever color door in the middle but other times it is a black door-shape in the middle with a whatever color frame. Again, same tile but the game is looking at the colors in the image file and deciding how to draw them in the game.
But its the same tile...  How does looking at the colors in the image file tell it when to draw which?
Now with engravings transparency is the color that shows up in addition to what there was smoothed (instead of perhaps just inverting it so that your screen became a glob of white, gray, or microcline-blue.)
What is this third color and where does it come from?
or you can make something like a barrel have some 50% transparency that will make it actually, say, act like a shadow instead of just some third color that may or may not be appropriate.
And make your pumps more barrel-like than ever :D  So it will draw the underlying floor tile, then the barrel on top?  Or the underlying tile color, then the barrel on top?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Arktanis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

My fort stopped working overnight D:
I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and, before today, DF worked perfectly.
After unpacking the new SDLDF I couldn't get it started again, it only segfaults. Not even reverting to the old version works any more.
I'm truly confused since all the packages required for it to run are there, as they've always been, up to date.

Any clue on what could it be?
Holly Carp!

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net

My fort stopped working overnight D:
I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and, before today, DF worked perfectly.
After unpacking the new SDLDF I couldn't get it started again, it only segfaults. Not even reverting to the old version works any more.
I'm truly confused since all the packages required for it to run are there, as they've always been, up to date.

Any clue on what could it be?

Try a "fresh" copy of DF.  I had the same (well, I haven't seen your output, but mine was segfaulting) problem prior to that.  I think it had to do with the way keybindings are handled and copying my old interface.txt.  Once you try that and everything works OK, then bring over your fortresses.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few problems as some others are having too
-Sometimes gets "stuck" on [d]esignate and no key press will work, but you can still exit and save the game.
-Adventure mode world travel doesn't allow you to visit site unless you rebind the key, (I think I had to do it a few times for it to work).
-build menu text items are garbled
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:20:58 pm by Richards »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

So engravings have a hidden third color, while smoothed floors don't...?
It depends on the tileset. To be precise, what happens is this:

The window is, obviously, divided into rectangular tiles.

For each tile, DF supplies the render code with a background color, a foreground color, and a texture.

The renderer first draws the background color to the entire tile.

It then draws the texture on top of that, using GL_MODULATE to merge the foreground color and the texture. You can look up the exact math for that on opengl.org, but to put it very vaguely it combines the texture pixel color and the foreground color. The texture color is often grayscale, in which case you more or less get the hue of the foreground color combined with the brightness of the texture color, but it doesn't have to be grayscale.

Lastly, wherever a texture pixel has an alpha value of less than 1, the background color will shine through. In most tilesets the alpha is either 0 or 1, but again, intermediate values are fine. This is just a linear interpolation.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have worked through most of the bugs on my list.  There were a few I spotted that weren't reported in the thread here, and those have all been fixed as well.

I will finally be adding the zoom bindings this time, which will break the repository version for those that are compiling it themselves.  It is possible that the addition of few new functions that are needed already breaks the repo.

I will push the fixes up in seperate commits so that some can have the mouse back to working.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

so after a bit of configuring i managed to get a save that had recently begun to run slowly to work with d13

about 25 dwarfs, not TOO many pets, caravan currently at depot

i havent really noticed a difference in frame rate, tried upping the priority to realtime, but that about it.

nothing has really changed since 4-5 saves ago but its just running as slow as a wet week.

still, if this ver helps future df releases be a bit more optimised im all for it
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile

Throwing in my vote along with everyone else having keybinding issues. Keys just seem to stop working pretty quickly in dwarf mode. My guess is the completely revamped interface.txt and interface system has something to do with it...
火族
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 147