Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373290 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

So 40d12 wasn't slower than previous versions for anyone else who got it to work?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I'm on win7x86, with an nVidia 7900, and various actions seem to randomly sometimes minimize the window.

also, apparently you have to press broken to enter the help screen

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Well, I might end up adding an aspect setting to init.txt, per-font. That'll take care of that.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I'm temporarily stalled while waiting for a comment from Toady, so I figured I'd post what I've figured out about zooming for you. Feel free to comment.

First, there are three types of zoom. "Grid zoom" pushes larger (or smaller) grids into a window of a given size than would naturally fit, "forced zoom" does the same thing but will revert to the grid-zoom setting at first opportunity, and "viewport zoom" does not alter the grid size, but makes the game display only part of a grid.

Thus:

- Resizing a window will alter grid size, not zoom settings, except that if the window becomes too large/small it will temporarily alter the forced-zoom setting to make things work. This reverts at first chance once you resize the window again.. or zoom in that direction yourself.
- The mouse wheel controls grid zoom OR viewport zoom, zooming in or out as appropriate.
- Pressing the middle button (usually the wheel) toggles between grid-zoom and viewport-zoom mode. In viewport-zoom the grid-zoom is still in effect; in grid-zoom, viewport-zoom is temporarily ignored.
- In viewport-zoom mode, only part of the window is displayed. The position of the mouse decides which part, so you can move smoothly between areas and quickly get an overview by pressing the middle button.
- Viewport-zoom will refuse to zoom out past unity. Not that you'd want to.
- Pressing F12 will reset grid-zoom to 1. It does not affect viewport-zoom.

Does this sound sensible?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:47:05 pm by Baughn »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

I just replied to your email.

Regarding the broken manual, I had that marked down but forgot to fix it.  Should be easy enough to clean up for d13.  Not sure about the crash though.

Regarding F12 -- is that one of those Mac reserved keys?  I don't remember which ones were best to avoid, though I don't know if we'll be able to stay away from them forever.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

It's rebindable, but yes, it is. Hm.

Well, I did want to avoid hardcoding these keys. The F12 binding is temporary, as is the mouse-wheel binding.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, I don't know what I was doing before, but now I see that you can zoom out.  Before I thought it was just for lowering the grid size in fullscreen mode.  Definitely cool to see things on a grander scale, but to be honest it needs to be a lot more faster than it is now if it wants to see any practical use.  I don't want to be zoomed out all the time or wait like 30 seconds as I slowly zoom out a little more at a time.

The resizable window is really cool.  I remember when I first started playing I didn't understand what resolution it was supposed to be set at.  Definitely a help for people who want the correct aspect ratio.  Now if you could just clear out the code that requires the horizontal size to be 80+...  Well, I know that would be a huge interface overhaul.

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good Afternoon,

I've been running df40d5 on my main comp for some time now.  Currently I'm having some issues with my vid card, but in general it runs decently.  I tried 40d12 today and it ran 2-4 times *slower* than 40d5.  I'm not sure why it runs slower, but here is my compy information:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My framerate with 40d5 was approximately 30-45 (frame cap is 500, paused its roughly 180) and with 40d12 it drops down to 11-17 fps.  Not sure what's causing it. 

Just thought it might be useful to know.

-Rivaryn

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

40d12 has considerably more conservative defaults than 40d5.

Have you edited init.txt appropriately?

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I copied my old init, then changed it to have the additional new lines from 40d12 which I backed up.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

..right.

Please post it.

Owlbear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi there. I'm trying 40d12 on linux amd64 and getting the following error:

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libgio-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like I need a 32-bit compat library for libgio? 40d10 works fine for me but I haven't tried 40d11.

Thanks.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Yep, you need that library.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The zooming code has been completed, a remaining texturing problem has been fixed (fixing the odd border glitches), and a patch has been sent.

Meanwhile, the code is immediately available for you Linux users, if you see the HEAD link in the first post. You'll like it, I promise.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just been experimenting with the macro functionality and I ran into some limitations:

• A single LONG (4000 line) macro works fine
  • Multiple short macro's work fine
  • A medium length (but over 256) line macro works itself, but any further macros are NOT loaded....

Was checking in the source, but there are too many seemingly random hardcoded limits in it for me to see which is the culprit.
I will check into the loading problem.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 147