Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373304 times)

Fuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, rebooted and everything's fine. I get windows. I get full screen. I get zooming. Frame speed is about the same as the last few updates.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The old dialog-box-won't-close bug on Linux has now been fixed in HEAD. See post #1.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lando, maybe the problem with zooming is your mouse driver configuration is changing the mouse wheel events to something else, other than the standard mouse wheel events? You might want to check in your control panel or programs list for a vendor-specific program, or a tab in the mouse configuration dialog, where you can check and see if you can assign general or program-specific actions for the mouse wheel.

It's not terribly likely, but maybe worth a shot... I assume the zoom keybindings are not editable, since I didn't see you mention it (haven't tried d12 yet)
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

They aren't editable at the moment, no. They will be eventually.

Psyringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just tested 40d12, and I'm happy to report that it's working as designed, at least on my machine (WinXP, nVidia 7600 GT).

I realize though that I imagined the feature differently. I thought it would include a method for detail enlargement, which would have been great for me (I have poor eyesight). I thought I could use it for close inspection, but I now see that the current zoom feature is meant primarily for zooming *out*. ;) The screen still needs to display the whole width of (at least) 80 characters, and unfortunately that's exactly the limitation that I hoped to be able to bypass with the new zooming feature.

I don't want to decry your work though, it's working as designed, it adds helpful new functionality, and it's not your fault that I imagined it to be something different. I'm just writing this to give a hint that detail enlargement (i.e. zooming in further even if that means that the edges of the display get cropped) might be a welcome feature - although I fear that it would be hard to integrate into DF's current display mechanism ...

Ikarus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Just been experimenting with the macro functionality and I ran into some limitations:

• A single LONG (4000 line) macro works fine
  • Multiple short macro's work fine
  • A medium length (but over 256) line macro works itself, but any further macros are NOT loaded....

Was checking in the source, but there are too many seemingly random hardcoded limits in it for me to see which is the culprit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Just tested 40d12, and I'm happy to report that it's working as designed, at least on my machine (WinXP, nVidia 7600 GT).

I realize though that I imagined the feature differently. I thought it would include a method for detail enlargement, which would have been great for me (I have poor eyesight). I thought I could use it for close inspection, but I now see that the current zoom feature is meant primarily for zooming *out*. ;) The screen still needs to display the whole width of (at least) 80 characters, and unfortunately that's exactly the limitation that I hoped to be able to bypass with the new zooming feature.

I don't want to decry your work though, it's working as designed, it adds helpful new functionality, and it's not your fault that I imagined it to be something different. I'm just writing this to give a hint that detail enlargement (i.e. zooming in further even if that means that the edges of the display get cropped) might be a welcome feature - although I fear that it would be hard to integrate into DF's current display mechanism ...

If you want to run DF at 2x zoom, you can edit your resolution and grid size so that the tileset will get stretched to twice its normal size.  You'll need a wide monitor, though.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No, I could do this.
The grid needs to be 80x25, yes, but nowhere is it written that it all needs to be displayed. Sure. I'll get a patch written.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to make the zooming faster//higher increments when adjusting it?

Also, using a 12x12 tileset, at 85x60 windowed mode, it also "zooms in" leaving a 3 tile wide black space between the window edges and the gamescreen border

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Just tried 40d12_win, don't see any major problems (didn't try the zooming features, using the default window size, 80x25 grid size), but for some reason it was always slower than 40d9.

Using all eight combinations of print mode and single buffer (using 2 for the partial print value), I get about 5-10 or 10-15 FPS, depending on which combinations I use.

On 40d9, with partial print on and set to 2, and without using the other two buffer settings, I get about 20-30 FPS.

I was not planning on using the zoom or other new features, so I'll stick to 40d9, which has no keyboard issues and is faster than 40d12, somehow.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Psyringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I could do this.
The grid needs to be 80x25, yes, but nowhere is it written that it all needs to be displayed. Sure. I'll get a patch written.
Wow, that would be great!

If you want to run DF at 2x zoom, you can edit your resolution and grid size so that the tileset will get stretched to twice its normal size.  You'll need a wide monitor, though.
Yep, I know, but the last bit is the problem unfortunately. I currently run DF with a 16x16 tileset, full-screen on 1280 pixels horizontally, and have to squint to read some menus, so I'm maxing out the available screen space already. Squeezing twice as many pixels into the same screen space wouldn't help in this situation. If you ever come across a place where I could grow myself a new pair of eyes, let me know. ;)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Also, using a 12x12 tileset, at 85x60 windowed mode, it also "zooms in" leaving a 3 tile wide black space between the window edges and the gamescreen border
The exact size of the increments is a work in progress. It's possible I'll make it adjustable, I suppose, but I'm not sure yet.

When does that "zooming in" you describe happen, exactly?

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The exact size of the increments is a work in progress. It's possible I'll make it adjustable, I suppose, but I'm not sure yet.

When does that "zooming in" you describe happen, exactly?
It happens after I keep scrolling the mousewheel to zoom in after going to original size. The tiles stay their original size, but it basically reduces the grid size.

Not sure if this info will help, but for 1x size, it seems to have a threshold area for zooming as well. Which to go from one side of of 1x to the other side (from Zoomed In 1.1x to Zoomed Out 1.1x seems to take 10 times the amount of mousewheel action than it does to go from 1.1x to 1.2x (and any number above that)

Other than the zooming strangeness, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. Although the zooming makes me wish it was the fortress part of the screen only, and not the menu.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scroll-zooming isn't working at all for me either, both directions.  I assume my shitty IGP is to blame for it all of course.  Any plans on making the code less 'fragile'?

d64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Comparing vanilla 40d with 40d12, I see no FPS increase (still 35-40) in a fort of 160, but it seems the guys are walking around somewhat faster? Is this possible or am I just imagining things? Running XP on a E8400 cpu; the game was certainly running somewhat slow to my tastes previously.

EDIT: Btw, thanks for the release and screen resizing functionality especially - I think it's a very notable addition.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:55:02 pm by d64 »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 147