Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373378 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Okay, the 40d12 repository should now be working. Still not meant for everyone, but those of you who really want to be on the bleeding edge (and run linux) can download it from git://brage.info/df.

You'll need some development files.. scons, gtk2.0-dev and libsdl-image-dev, to name the most important ones.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Okay. For those of you who are on Linux:

If DF runs, but you'd like to try for more speed, please test the experimental threaded build at http://brage.info/~svein/df40d11-threading.tar.bz2.

Only a few of the heaviest drawing functions are threaded, and on my laptop that only gives about a 1% speed increase, but as always, slower GPUs benefit more. You might even benefit if you have a single-core CPU.

If DF fails to run or har graphical problems, please try the debugging build at http://brage.info/~svein/df40d11-debug.tar.bz2.

It won't help you directly, but it'll output a wealth of logging that'll come in handy if I am to fix it.

To store the log to a file, use "./df >log 2>log" to run it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Love the git repo!

I downloaded it but I have a library dependency issue I need to resolve with libgraphics.so and I'm supposed to be working  ::) otherwise I'd look into it more than a simple test run.  I'll fix it later and test some more.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has the alternate key layouts not being recognized problem been looked at lately? It'd be a pain to have to go through the entire interface.txt and get it sorted out.
Still working on it.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh my god a threaded version????

please make it for windows QUICK

I HAVE 4 cores just sitting here wanting to be used by DF!!!
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I MUST HAVE THE THREADED VERSION FOR WINDOWS!!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what threading does it use? openmp, MPICH, or something else?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

SDL threads.

..I was afraid this would happen.
Guys, it's just a little threaded, and more as proof of concept than anything else. Someone with a very broken GPU might benefit, but I don't think anyone else would.

Due to the mess that is DLLs on windows, there will be no intermediate releases of this code on windows. Also, threading won't be in 40d12; I need to wait for the changes that are in 40d12 before I can get properly started.

That said. The next proper release of DF should be running all (okay, most) graphical bits in a separate thread. This won't do much for those of you with good GPUs, but it won't hurt either. Just.. don't expect much right now.

EDIT: However, 40d13 is a different matter. Also a later matter. :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:11:23 pm by Baughn »

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for not reading the 113-somewhat pages of stuff here before posting. Just a little thing on my experience with 40d11, probably mentioned already, but here goes:
No apparant difference from vanilla df (so far), but sometimes when pressing 2 keys at the same time (like scrolling diagonally around the map) it seems that only one key will register. Note: This happens mostly when normally pressing 2 keys at the same time. Repressing one of the keys makes them work normally (ex. allows diagonal scrolling). This never occured in the vanilla df.

Anyways, great work, keep it up. Sorry if I wasted a post  :P
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile

No apparant difference from vanilla df (so far), but sometimes when pressing 2 keys at the same time (like scrolling diagonally around the map) it seems that only one key will register. Note: This happens mostly when normally pressing 2 keys at the same time. Repressing one of the keys makes them work normally (ex. allows diagonal scrolling). This never occured in the vanilla df.

Seconded. I just started testing 4d11 myself and this is the first issue I'm noticing. A classic example is when I'm designating stockpiles, e.g. to remove them. I will start to drag a large box, and halfway through dragging it, my cursor freezes. I'm able to move the cursor in all directions but the one I want it to go in.

But otherwise, I -think- it goes faster. I have a 5x6 map going and I'm so far noticing no slowdowns. But we'll see how it goes in a year or two.
火族

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

There is a massive rewrite of pretty much all the keyboard code in progress, that should fix this and many other problems. Therefore, please have mercy on us until 40d12 is done.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... mercy ...

Urist McHammerer cancels task: Petting kitten.

Your punishment has been delayed.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Veroule cancels task compile, circular header definition.            x1274
*using the old Warcraft peasant voice* "Jobs done." ;D

I just sent Toady all the corrected keyboard stuff for D12.  Unless I missed something he should be able to breeze through compiling it.

I will get a new branch up on the repository for it sometime tommorrow.  I don't expect it to be able to run though.

I am still not sure that international key support is going to be right, but based on the reports from 10-20 pages back Dvorak should be working better then it ever has.  During my writing and testing of it I found many odd behaviors rooted in SDL.  Some are surely by design and just undocumented, others seem just a little too wierd.  If there are still any serious problems with key layouts I will move to studying the SDL sources I have sitting around.

This rewrite is NOT a major speed rewrite.  I did that with the first one.  This one may give a tiny boost in speed, but that is not really its purpose.  The main goal this time was reduction.  Code complexity and memory usage were the main targets.

Of course new complexities got added in other places.  Enjoy.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a reason for nearly every single file in the linux tarball to be marked executable? Seems like a security issue to me.

EDIT: Ok right off the bat I'm getting this error:
Code: [Select]
$ ./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Running locate tells me it's at /usr/lib64/libSDL-1.2.so.0

Currently installing the 32-bit version to see if it'll find that. Will edit again with results.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 06:24:34 am by Toksyuryel »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a reason for nearly every single file in the linux tarball to be marked executable? Seems like a security issue to me.

EDIT: Ok right off the bat I'm getting this error:
Code: [Select]
$ ./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Running locate tells me it's at /usr/lib64/libSDL-1.2.so.0
I stopped using linux because every time I tried updating to the next release, that happened. *groan*

Currently installing the 32-bit version to see if it'll find that. Will edit again with results.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 147