Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373383 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Adventure mode always had "random" spurts of lag while moving around outside the world screen.  I don't know the exact distance that triggered it, but every 16 tiles of movement or so in one direction you would enter another block. 

That would cause the game to load the next so and so number of blocks offscreen that you couldn't see yet (but will likely enter if you keep going in that direction) from the hard drive, which depending on the speed of your hard drive could sometimes take a second or two.

If you want to see what I'm talking about leave a town without using T.  The moment you leave the town you should notice a short lag before your move happens, this is the game loading the next set of map blocks off in the distance.  That's certainly not the only time it happens(you may very well notice it while walking across the town), but it's the easiest place to identify it. 

At any rate it makes moving in one direction to test FPS a little screwy.  I can't think of any other way to test though.  Sleeping might work, but it may update frames differently then, and going one way for a few map blocks then going the other way should prevent the lag allowing a better test, but I am uncertain.

Anyway I don't see any noticeable difference in AM and FM. But that certainly doesn't mean others are imagining it.

P.S. This post is full of speculation based on observation and a basic knowledge of programming theory. I don't have access to the code to be certain
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:28:23 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After finally getting this working on my Mac (due to a stupid mistake on my part), my only complaint is that 40d11 runs too fast. 40d, the only version I've played, made me think that I was at the FPS cap, since the FPS display wouldn't work on the Mac. Now my dwarves move as if they're on speed.

Well, if you wait a little while until you get migrants, then they'll slow down. It'll all slow down.  :)

But you can cap it in the init.txt file: look for FPS_CAP.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OS X Launcher
« Reply #1532 on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:10 am »

Anyway, I put all that in an application bundle which I uploaded here to share: http://QETUOdesigns.com/df-osx-launcher.zip .

As long as the .app (contained in the .zip) is placed in the df_osx folder, DF appears to launch as a normal application. Hope this can be useful to someone.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what exactly is new in 40d12?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is no official D12 release yet.

I think the only code changes that made it into the code at this point is the work on sound done by Bheyler.  Toady and Baughn are still working on the details of making a split build work.  Baughn also did testing with using a different compiler that improves the 64bit support, although I am not sure if Toady has changed over to that compiler.

The keyboard stuff I have been working on had a number of serious flaws in its design; making it unusable for DF.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A bug report for 40d11:

When DF is left minimized for more than ~10 seconds, it refuses to recognize keyboard input when un-minimized. If cycled between mimized and not again after that, the graphics are totally garbled, and key input is still ignored.

Running windows XP. What other information would be helpful?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

I've noticed one strange thing.
Every fort, no matter the population no matter the quantity of stones/caged animals/seeds/bars/bones or other objects that tends to grow in heaps, the FPS slows down to 150, two or three years later to 100, 5-6 years later to 70-60, then to 50-40, to the 15-20 years from start is slows to 35-20 FPS and so on.

If the dwarves live isolated, with only few underground fields, for the years sustain the population of 7 them and 40 free animals, nothing changes to the 20th year from start but FPS slows.

Why do this thing happens?
Finis sanctificat media.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any idea for when 40d12 is getting released?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Might be a few days; it depends on Toady.

I wouldn't hold my breath, though. 40d12 has very few changes compared to 40d11; the purpose of the release is wholly to make things easier on the developers.

40d13 will be the big one. It's a lucky number.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the new additions for 40d13? Or am I just missing somewhere obvious where it was already explained?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A bug report for 40d11:

When DF is left minimized for more than ~10 seconds, it refuses to recognize keyboard input when un-minimized. If cycled between mimized and not again after that, the graphics are totally garbled, and key input is still ignored.

Running windows XP. What other information would be helpful?
Out of interest, does pressing and releasing the alt key help at all?  Depending on how you minimise (I'm a bit of a keyboard-maniac and "Alt-space N" would be the way I'd do it) this might mirror the behaviour I get (occasionally)when Alt-Tabbing away from DF to some other window and then back again.

My theory has been that the app (like other apps sometimes do[1]) recognises the pressing of the Alt (upon leaving) but not the release (after leaving or immediately after return) until followed by a 'placebo' press of self-same key.  It may or may not be accurate (and I'd blame it upon the appropriate top-layer Windows event handler, rather than DF) but as a theory it explains all known facts and always solves the problem of non-responsiveness. ;)

I must point out that I've never had the garbled graphics, though, so maybe this isn't relevent (at least not completely/entirely so) to your issues.

[1] You know the issue, I'm sure.  Who has not on one occasion or other continually gotten the Run dialogue/search window/whatever due to an apparent 'sticky' Windows-key register, or something similar with a Ctrl or even space combination, until you tap and release both of the possibly offending keys. ;)

Stray Elvis (Tame)

Has the alternate key layouts not being recognized problem been looked at lately? It'd be a pain to have to go through the entire interface.txt and get it sorted out.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every fort, no matter the population no matter the quantity of stones/caged animals/seeds/bars/bones or other objects that tends to grow in heaps, the FPS slows down to 150, two or three years later to 100, 5-6 years later to 70-60, then to 50-40, to the 15-20 years from start is slows to 35-20 FPS and so on.

If the dwarves live isolated, with only few underground fields, for the years sustain the population of 7 them and 40 free animals, nothing changes to the 20th year from start but FPS slows.

pathing issues. small hallways + more creatures = exponential pathing collisions.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

pathing issues. small hallways + more creatures = exponential pathing collisions.
You're cute, i know. ;-)

But please read again what i've written:

"for the years sustain the population of 7 them and 40 free animals, nothing changes to the 20th year from start"
Just a room 31*31 squares - everything inside.
No hallways, no pathing, no mining, no "over-seeding" (as i've noticed slowdowns when i have more than 3'000 seeds, even in bags), no crafting, no significant increase in object quantity.
Finis sanctificat media.

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have longterm experience with this version yet but the fps increase on embark is amazing. Before I started out with like 40 fps on an easy map (no river no lava) and after some immigration it dropped to below 30. Now I started a game with an underground river and it is at 100 fps all the time. :-)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 147