Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373392 times)

ShattererOfWorlds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After finally getting this working on my Mac (due to a stupid mistake on my part), my only complaint is that 40d11 runs too fast. 40d, the only version I've played, made me think that I was at the FPS cap, since the FPS display wouldn't work on the Mac. Now my dwarves move as if they're on speed.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile

actually ps3 has 256x2 memory so its 512mb but the linux knows only 256mb so you are correct  ;D
and that other part of memory is mainly for graphic card so its impossible
forgot that memory requiment of dwarf fortress
darn ps3 linux almost completely useless  :-[ there is only about 5 progs that can utilise cell power and they are only for packking things to smaller spaces or making semi-nice animations using cpu
According to the Wikipedia, the PS3 has 256 MB system memory and 256 MB video memory.  You don't count video memory when calculating RAM unless it's shared, as in the case of the XBox 360(which has 512MB system memory which the video card has access to, as opposed to the dedicated video memory the PS3 has).
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I believe that there are utilities to test for memory leaks(although I haven't used them since I found out having a static array of certain size is more efficient than allocating and deallocating)
Sure there are - Valgrind, for one. I've used them. This doesn't help if we genuinely need that much memory; I don't think DF actually leaks very much, if anything.

So you like static arrays?
Well, I suppose they are convenient - so long as you know how much you'll need in advance. Try that with dwarves sometime. :P

The best solution is usually a GC, though.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can anyone offer any advice on how to compile this sucker in Windows? I've always used Vis Studio and it appears that the project files included aren't setup correctly to compile in Vis08.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i tried it out, and starting a new fort, i told the finder to find both an underground river and a magma pool, which it did find, but i could not upon embarking, although i did find a chasm both times i did this search.  i also couldn't get my dwarfs to harvest their crops, they would anything else instead, including nothing if i didn't allow them to do anything that could be done except harvest.  i had farmers planting seeds and then walking past ripe crops to get a non existent seed, only to find it didn't exist.  i didn't notice a speed boost, but when i embarked on a large area there wasn't the usual slowdown, but this might be due to no fluids on the map.

edit:
40d11 on windows xp
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:45:36 pm by jamoecw »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

Mouse designation is a bit sluggish- it's hard to move slow enough to get a solid line/erasure.

Changing vote. 40d11 Adventure mode, in particular, is 10x slower, at least, than 40d

...bah, this poll does not seem to have the unvote option. SLOWER!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:21:21 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

40d11 Adventure mode, in particular, is 10x slower, at least, than 40d

Yeah, I've been playing adventure mode and its display doesn't seem to have gotten any of the optimizations.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to me that the graphics in dwarf mode are faster, and everything else (including dwarfmode processing of various) is somewhat slower.  :-\

though in the bad parts of AM- highly populated areas- this changes what was "moderately playable" to "kill this program, it hasn't moved in minutes".

thought: in Dwarf mode, graphic updates are not necessarily pending simulation updates. In adv mode, they are.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:23:13 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Compiler optimizations options are different between the OSs -- which ones are we talking about?  I'm not sure why windows adv mode would be slower, unless I've screwed up the compiler there.  On linux we are working on some better options there (I just have to patch them in), so parts of it might be slower than wine, no idea.  I don't think the new compiler opts apply to mac, but I dunno what's been done there already.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:27:23 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'pologies. Windows 40d11 and 40d, yes.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a reliable way to get adv mode speed, as the fps counter is obviously not counting simulation frames while you're sitting still...

edit: Actually, it seems to be reasonably accurate general benchmark, e'en if I have no idea what it actually measures.

With speed 1000 characters running on empty terrain (no other creatures in sight, flat) 40d seems to get about 140-200 consistently(depending on terrain, I think), and 40d11 starts about there and gets to more like 70-100 (while ust holding a direction to move) and often hanging for longer, though both are doing this really. (I copied the save to test, so yes, the conditions should be nearly identical)

Both in 80x24 windowed (default) using the 800x600 font (not)both are running in the fastest mode I could find (partial:51)- accum-buffer slightly slower, frame-buffer practically locked on menu. Changing to my much-larger fullscreen seemed to not affect either seriously.

I'd say to ignore above results, because gfps on d11 was 20 instead of 50 like with 40d...but changing that to match did nothing to improve it, so yeah, 40d11 seems slower in adv mode.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:02:58 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I've complained of problems with earlier versions in this thread, so I'll just pop in to say that 11 is working great and is significantly faster than the last version.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

was lag ever a problem in adventure mode?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ye-es, yes it has been. It matters whether you're going to keep running for some seconds after you release the key or stop and react to something.

In 40d, if you stopped while just running around, it was usually because you hit a tree.

Probably the worst case (and both Versions do this) is that if you are moving on overworld and hit move again when it's paused because it goes "Hey, random encounter, gotta do the paperwork and put you in" it carries over to the scene, making you move, with potentially disastrous results.
Tilesets

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

was lag ever a problem in adventure mode?

More like was lag ever not a problem in adventure mode. AM runs, and has always run, like pants on all three computers I own, where fort mode runs well.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I've gotten a buildable version of 40d12 up at git://brage.info:df.

Please keep in mind, this may be buildable, but it's not really runnable, and it's not meant for public consumption.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 147