Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373422 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Normally it works. Flawlessly. It's when I use the command line parameters to gen a world that the error is thrown, and then only if there have been repeated attempts to open a DF window-thingit.  The first time, the window just immediately closes and the batch file proceeds to the next thing, which is to open DF again and gen a world, but it goes awry and immediately closes the window and THEN throws the error. 

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the .so working for the graphics code in linux, but it was all running slow since I never updated my drivers since I got the new computer.  So I had it download the hardware driver...  and now my monitor gives me "Out of Range" as an error message whenever I start it up in linux.  I didn't see a way to revert the change from the recovery menu, so I'm not really sure what to do at this point apart from a full reinstall, which I'm leery of doing without backing up my entire windows disk as well since I've had partition corruption before.  This is Ubuntu something or other fairly recent, but not 9.04 or whatever the newest one is.
ctrl-alt-f1 through ctrl-alt-f6 will get you into raw text consoles, and someone ubuntu-savvy may be able to give you instructions from there.  If the text consoles don't even work, well, damn.  Ctrl-alt-f7 will bring you back to the graphical interface.

Also, ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-minus may or may not change the resolution into something that works.  What is your monitor?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:11:42 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-minus may or may not change the resolution into something that works.

This is num pad + and -, incidentally

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile

so, any word about d12 ?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry for not reading all 100 pages,  :o, but does one have to make a new game for this, or can a save be converted? I'd assume it is merely a matter of copying over the data files and raw files?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I'm sorry for not reading all 100 pages,  :o, but does one have to make a new game for this, or can a save be converted? I'd assume it is merely a matter of copying over the data files and raw files?

Saves can be transferred, yes.  No conversion necessary.  You can copy your raws folder over, but do NOT copy over your entire data folder.  Just copy /data/save.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd have a crack at compiling the code myself. I get this critical error under Visual Studio 2008:
Code: [Select]
Error 2 error C2360: initialization of 'key' is skipped by 'case' label c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\df source\src\enabler_sdl.cpp 331
Error 3 error C2360: initialization of 'key' is skipped by 'case' label c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\df source\src\enabler_sdl.cpp 342
Error 4 error C2360: initialization of 'key' is skipped by 'case' label c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\df source\src\enabler_sdl.cpp 345

Anyone know of the work-around to this? Or maybe a quick tut on a Win32 compiler that can compile this?

Update:
I fixed the code by moving the initialization of 'key' to the start of the switch, but then I get a crapload of those evil 'Unresolved external symbol' errors.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:17:16 am by DJDD »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

so, any word about d12 ?

Baughn got my linux back together in its old and working form, with some leads on how to get the new drivers working.  The new drivers won't be necessary though, so I can continue what I was doing.  I had to split up files a little more than I thought to get the linux .so working, but it shouldn't be too much longer for that part.  Once I have the files split up, I can then do the input patch, which is large but shouldn't take all of forever.  I'm planning on doing this in the mornings and the regular stuff at night.  I have no eta, but unless I hit another obstacle it shouldn't be more than a few days.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

btw is it possible to get linux source code without the open-gl thingy (and for ppc too)
im trying to compile dwarf fortress to my ps3 linux cause ps3 has awesome cell processor 25.6 GFLOPS calculation processes per second at 3.2ghz. Meaning awesome potential growth for my fortress  ;D (goal 500 pop cap)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

No. Dwarf Fortress is closed source.

Besides which, I was under the impression that the cell was a general purpose CPU, with several sub processors that are good at doing specific tasks, but have to be taken advantage of manually by the programmer meaning that if you could take the DF code and recompile (which you can't), the speed up probably wouldn't be as impressive as you'd think.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:00:04 am by bhelyer »

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh well thx for the answer.
the speed up for me would be significant since im running dwarf fortress on relativly old laptop
and that source thing was only a wish  ;D since it's the only way i will get the dwarf fortress running from my ps3
(i have tried building wine from source and its missing 2 libs I know it's impossible since cell architecture is really different from regular pc but still worth of try.)
oh and my laptop is running the df  40d11 with windows 7 no probs.
but no speed gain either  :(
edit:and you are prob right with that speed increase being non significant darn,guess i will be playing df with 10fps on my laptop or killing dwarfs to gain more fps
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:50:29 am by defeeca »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No, if you know it's impossible, then it's not worth a try. :P

Anyway, DF would never, ever be able to take much advantage of the cell SPUs. I know enough about the architecture to say that.. the SPUs don't have very good access to main memory (they're stream processing units for a reason), so only relatively sequential code can use them.

It might be possible to do weather calculations on one, but that's about it.

Also, the PS3 only has 256MB of memory. DF uses.. how much? -_-
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:51:49 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Normally it works. Flawlessly. It's when I use the command line parameters to gen a world that the error is thrown, and then only if there have been repeated attempts to open a DF window-thingit.  The first time, the window just immediately closes and the batch file proceeds to the next thing, which is to open DF again and gen a world, but it goes awry and immediately closes the window and THEN throws the error. 
I can't be sure, but this rather sounds like a memory leak in your GPU drivers.

Have you tried it on linux? Or just with different drivers?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

actually ps3 has 256x2 memory so its 512mb but the linux knows only 256mb so you are correct  ;D
and that other part of memory is mainly for graphic card so its impossible
forgot that memory requiment of dwarf fortress
darn ps3 linux almost completely useless  :-[ there is only about 5 progs that can utilise cell power and they are only for packking things to smaller spaces or making semi-nice animations using cpu

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I believe that there are utilities to test for memory leaks(although I haven't used them since I found out having a static array of certain size is more efficient than allocating and deallocating)
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 147