Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373393 times)

CartoonChess

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Boy
    • View Profile
OS X Launcher
« Reply #1485 on: May 27, 2009, 05:55:46 am »

Hello. Testing the OS X build of 40d11, I wrote a quick AppleScript to launch DF from the GUI.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I put all that in an application bundle which I uploaded here to share: http://QETUOdesigns.com/df-osx-launcher.zip .

As long as the .app (contained in the .zip) is placed in the df_osx folder, DF appears to launch as a normal application. Hope this can be useful to someone.
dorf'd

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

What init.txt settings do you have?

I tried changing a few of them from another thread that reccomended it, but I saw No difference, so i put them back to stock.
The init.txt settings are specific to 40d11. You can't use 40d settings with 40d11, and you can't use settings from earlier versions of 40dN either.

I suggest you read the init.txt and follow its suggestions.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just noticed this and remembered something.  I'm using the linux version and when I alt-tab back and forth from it, something weird happens -- a sort of hidden popunder thing is visible but inactive.  It doesn't hurt anything so I've ignored it but it might be worth looking into what that means for the Windows version.  Sorry to be so vague about what it does, I'll be more specific when I can but I'm away from my machine right now.

Are you perhaps seeing the console window that you launched DF from?  Even it you run it from a menu or from your desktop's "Run" prompt, the thing you're running is a shell script that exec's dwarfort.exe.  So it's gonna create a console window that will stick around until you quit the game.  It's harmless.

--K

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just noticed this and remembered something.  I'm using the linux version and when I alt-tab back and forth from it, something weird happens -- a sort of hidden popunder thing is visible but inactive.  It doesn't hurt anything so I've ignored it but it might be worth looking into what that means for the Windows version.  Sorry to be so vague about what it does, I'll be more specific when I can but I'm away from my machine right now.

Are you perhaps seeing the console window that you launched DF from?  Even it you run it from a menu or from your desktop's "Run" prompt, the thing you're running is a shell script that exec's dwarfort.exe.  So it's gonna create a console window that will stick around until you quit the game.  It's harmless.

--K

Why does it create a console window? Other shell scripts (firefox, for example, starts via a shell script on linux - so does openoffice) don't create a terminal. It's not like windows where a .bat needs a terminal to run.

Corona688, how are you starting it and what kind of desktop environment do you use?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--K

Why does it create a console window? Other shell scripts (firefox, for example, starts via a shell script on linux - so does openoffice) don't create a terminal. It's not like windows where a .bat needs a terminal to run.

Corona688, how are you starting it and what kind of desktop environment do you use?
I use fluxbox.  No, it's not a console window, and furthermore, it's a weird window that does not appear in the menu list, only when alt-tabbing.  It is a little popup of the same or similar kind DF uses to ask about fullscreening, but blank and unresponsive.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: OS X Launcher
« Reply #1490 on: May 27, 2009, 08:44:41 pm »

Hello. Testing the OS X build of 40d11, I wrote a quick AppleScript to launch DF from the GUI.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I put all that in an application bundle which I uploaded here to share: http://QETUOdesigns.com/df-osx-launcher.zip .

As long as the .app (contained in the .zip) is placed in the df_osx folder, DF appears to launch as a normal application. Hope this can be useful to someone.

Awesome! Thanks  a huge amount!  :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What init.txt settings do you have?

I tried changing a few of them from another thread that reccomended it, but I saw No difference, so i put them back to stock.
The init.txt settings are specific to 40d11. You can't use 40d settings with 40d11, and you can't use settings from earlier versions of 40dN either.

I suggest you read the init.txt and follow its suggestions.

I didnt  change any settings that werent set up for 40d11..... i changed them as reccomended for 40d11, then saw absolutely no difference and changed them back.

I dont believe those settings affect me since my graphics card isnt low powered, and I assume all those settings only affect the graphics card load, except the water etc site settings. other than that i dont see a difference.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

40d11: Faster than 40d by ~70fps, faster than 40d9 by about half that.

Also, looks like you fixed the mouse issues- I can successfully use the funky shaft designation, and world painter works again.

I didn't know you could use mouse in stockpile filters. So much faster to do those nitpicky seedpile designations...

Oh: FPS will go over cap when paused/at menus. (With 500 cap, it'll spike up to mid-600s occasionally)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:02:21 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

I got the .so working for the graphics code in linux, but it was all running slow since I never updated my drivers since I got the new computer.  So I had it download the hardware driver...  and now my monitor gives me "Out of Range" as an error message whenever I start it up in linux.  I didn't see a way to revert the change from the recovery menu, so I'm not really sure what to do at this point apart from a full reinstall, which I'm leery of doing without backing up my entire windows disk as well since I've had partition corruption before.  This is Ubuntu something or other fairly recent, but not 9.04 or whatever the newest one is.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Before anyone starts troubleshooting in this thread, I've already sent a long email explaining the fix. :)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, random thing that I've just encountered.  The command line options for DF no longer work for me.  The game opens, immediately closes and then if it's done so more than once in the loop, tosses me a GL error whining that my GPU sucks.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Oh? That's very interesting.

Paste the exact error, please.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Is there a way to remove "black cursor" image for the cursor which appears no matter what? I want to use a picture for the mouse.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"GPU unable to accommodate texture catalog. Retry without graphical tiles, update your drivers, or better yet, update your GPU."  Haven't yet followed any of the instructions, partly because I can only do the first one...  But, it's just world gen, so it shouldn't be worrying about my graphics set, right?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

No, the graphical tiles are loaded pretty early.

Now, to make sure I understand this: You say DF works the first time you load it, but if you then quit and load again you get that message?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 147