Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373447 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hermm, just downloaded the latest version df_28_181_40d11_win and every time I attempt to run dwarf fortress.exe it crashes on me. Full or windowed. Never had this issue before. Wondering if its because I have a new monitor. Running at 1360x768. Windows XP Pro. In the windows error report it states that the following file is to blame (or related to the issue?)

C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\bd0d_appcompat.txt

Just moved to the new place and I would dearly love to butcher some kittens for their sweet, delicious flesh.... mrhmmmm delicious kitty stew... *cough* Right, anyways, thoughts? Perhaps changing the resolution will help. Imma do that now actually. Be right back

EDIT 1:

Nope changing the resolution, it does nothing! Went from 800x600 and up and Im getting the same error message. Oh, and apologies if this should go in the bugs section however as it was using the speed-modded version I figured it was appropriate. Now I have the resolution set to 1920x1080. Im going to try older versions now.

EDIT 2:

Even with the unspeed-modded version im getting the same error... Sigh, this bites. Ah well, back to the drawing board. Any by drawing board I mean staring at the wall.
Open that bd0d_appcompat.txt file (Start Run, paste that file/location, Enter) and see what errors are in there.  That file holds errors generated by files using compatibility mode.  I don't know why you are running compatibility mode in XP, but that's another issue.  This isn't XP64 is it?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

bz-mof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got problems with the changed keyboard input:

It worked (at least) up to 40d, but changed for 40d11:

The older versions used the keyboard layout set in Windows.
40d11 ignores that and always uses the US setting. Are there new input routines because of opengl?

Of course it is possible to heavily edit interface.txt, but I think, this is not intended like this.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hermm, just downloaded the latest version df_28_181_40d11_win and every time I attempt to run dwarf fortress.exe it crashes on me. Full or windowed. Never had this issue before. Wondering if its because I have a new monitor. Running at 1360x768. Windows XP Pro. In the windows error report it states that the following file is to blame (or related to the issue?)

C:\DOCUME~1\Josh\LOCALS~1\Temp\bd0d_appcompat.txt
Open that bd0d_appcompat.txt file (Start Run, paste that file/location, Enter) and see what errors are in there.  That file holds errors generated by files using compatibility mode.  I don't know why you are running compatibility mode in XP, but that's another issue.  This isn't XP64 is it?

Actually, Dr Watson spits out an appcompat.txt file for any Windows error that's going through the Windows Error Reporting process, which is basically everything.  And it's almost always useless, as 99 times out of 100 the error is just going to say 0x0000000c -- an access violation, like a GPF or IPF -- in some random DLL.  If you're lucky it will tell you that the error was in your video or audio drivers, in which case upgrade them.

The first thing I would check is to make sure you have all the appropriate runtime files -- you need both the v8 and v9 C++ runtime libraries, but they all should have been packaged with the download.

--K

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh? It doesn't include libc.
Look under libs/ in the linux version.  It includes libc++ among other things.  Yes, libc++, not libc.  pardon me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:31:00 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

I seem to be getting 20-40% improved frame rate with this version. (On my current fort 50 FPS in 40d, 60-70 in 40d11)
I have noticed only one problem. input can sometimes be ignored, especially in cases where there is more than one input at a time. For example, hitting up and left (or any other directional keys) at the same time can result in the game only registering the input from on of the keys until the undetected key is hit again.

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not about to read through 98 pages of replies so I don't know if this has been posted or not, but I find if I switch back and forth from other programs (like notepad or firefox) and DF a lot, eventually DF becomes unresponsive, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and cancel to get DF to respond again.

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile

After alt-tabbing away from and back to DF, just hit alt once. It gets stuck apparently.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how to count my FPS, but this is noticably a lot faster.  Thanks.

EDIT: Hmm, seems to have dropped back to about 17 FPS or so.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:49:02 pm by Leafsnail »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was doing some testing with tilesets and there was a moment in which I said to myself "Hm, with tilesets on, it's noticeably slower, but still faster than 40D."  Then I realized I somehow had ended up running two DF windows at once.

Damn, this is fast.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got problems with the changed keyboard input:

It worked (at least) up to 40d, but changed for 40d11:

The older versions used the keyboard layout set in Windows.
40d11 ignores that and always uses the US setting. Are there new input routines because of opengl?

Of course it is possible to heavily edit interface.txt, but I think, this is not intended like this.
The keyboard input stuff was a scary mess before the 40d# project.  It got even scarier when the transition was made from Windows messaging to SDL, because of compatibility concerns.  d10 removed most of the original scaryness, d11 corrected a key repeat bug.

The remainder of the scary stuff was removed in the rewrite I did for d12.  Based on some things I saw during testing of the new code there may still be layout, region, and language problems with d12.  Once I have detailed reports on any key problems with d12, I will have a much better idea what is causing them.

After alt-tabbing away from and back to DF, just hit alt once. It gets stuck apparently.
I can't replicate that when testing with the new code for d12.  The rewrite changed how modifier keys like alt were being recognized.  Hopefully d12 will fix it for you.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

d10 removed most of the original scaryness, d11 corrected a key repeat bug.

That key repeat fix means I can't do <Enter><Down> repeatedly as fast  as I used to on the carpal-tunnel-inducing trade screen. Although it did prompt me to use xvkbd to fabricate keystrokes for it instead, so I guess that's an improvement of sorts.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

d10 removed most of the original scaryness, d11 corrected a key repeat bug.

That key repeat fix means I can't do <Enter><Down> repeatedly as fast  as I used to on the carpal-tunnel-inducing trade screen. Although it did prompt me to use xvkbd to fabricate keystrokes for it instead, so I guess that's an improvement of sorts.
The d11 key repeat fix was for a bug introduced with d10.  The parts rewritten for d10 made the key testing faster with less memory, and improved the handling for holding many keys.

If you hold Enter, and then press and hold Down at the right moment it will mark the trade for each item.  This is because the timing at which to repeat each held key is kept seperately.  It is easier to do it if you set the key repeat rate in the init.txt higher.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you hold Enter, and then press and hold Down at the right moment it will mark the trade for each item.  This is because the timing at which to repeat each held key is kept seperately.  It is easier to do it if you set the key repeat rate in the init.txt higher.
I have been hunting in vain for information on the key repeat rate.  All I can find is KEY_HOLD_MS...  Unless the wait period is the same as the repeat rate, really they ought to be seperate..

[edit] They are integrated, so, setting it low makes it almost unplayable.  The trick doesn't work anyhow, the seperate timing of the two keys can fall in and out of sync.

I have the following suggestion for key repeats: 
  • Time them all as one.  Tracking them individually is inaccurate since the cycling just makes beat frequencies against the frame rate.
  • Run the key repeat at double-time, divided into two beats.  Have motion keys repeat on the first beat, and entry keys repeat on the second.  That way, arrow+enter is guaranteed to work in any place that needs it since the game cannot register their repeats out of order.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:43:04 pm by Corona688 »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been hunting in vain for information on the key repeat rate.  All I can find is KEY_HOLD_MS...  Unless the wait period is the same as the repeat rate, really they ought to be seperate..

[edit] They are integrated, so, setting it low makes it almost unplayable.  The trick doesn't work anyhow, the seperate timing of the two keys can fall in and out of sync.

I have the following suggestion for key repeats: 
  • Time them all as one.  Tracking them individually is inaccurate since the cycling just makes beat frequencies against the frame rate.
  • Run the key repeat at double-time, divided into two beats.  Have motion keys repeat on the first beat, and entry keys repeat on the second.  That way, arrow+enter is guaranteed to work in any place that needs it since the game cannot register their repeats out of order.
3. Implement proper shift/ctrl-selecting and checkboxes instead of continuing to provide support for a bizarre keyboard entry method that works literally nowhere else in the entire world of computing

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

3. Implement proper shift/ctrl-selecting and checkboxes instead of continuing to provide support for a bizarre keyboard entry method that works literally nowhere else in the entire world of computing
Hey, this is Dwarf Fortress.  Next you'll be asking for more than 15 colors!  I'm trying to ask for what might be feasibly implemented without completely reinventing the thing :p
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 147