Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373492 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

Ok thanks. Finally i have cause for looking into that code :P. Or did you already improve that code too?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

It's been altered, just not by me. Feel free to look at it. However, the existing BC code is identical to DF's when it comes to sound, so there's really no reason you shouldn't have already. :P

The url is in the first post, but for the forgetful, it's git://brage.info/bc
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 03:26:50 pm by Baughn »

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

Ok thanks. Finally i have cause for looking into that code :P. Or did you already improve that code too?

I upgraded it to FmodEx (FMOD 3's ALSA support produced nothing but garbled noises), and I recently changed to act exactly like the FMOD 3 support used to. There are more things that could be done, but it's barely used at this point, so I figured it wasn't worth doing anything too fancy when we have no idea what will happen with sounds and stuff in the future.

The code you want to look at is in musicandsound_fmodex.cpp, and not the other musicsound.cpp file (that's the old implementation).  And the public repository's code isn't the latest. I suppose Baughn's in charge of that. If you want the latest stuff I can send it to you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:00:27 pm by bhelyer »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh? Fmod is a commercial software-release as far as i know. Thought the shareware-license (which most likely applys to toady) isnt that hard or expensiv. I thought Toady would use here some kind of "Public-domain" libery for sound.

Anyway i would be pleased if you could send me your changes.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The public repository's code *should* be the latest, even if it isn't. I'd ask you to upload new code to it, but.. right now, I'm expecting Toady to do a BC-style release with DF linked in binary form anyway, so there's not much point.

I'll create a new repository once that happens.

Oh, and you know git has good support for branching, right? And you can upload your own branches to the repository, and we can merge them at appropriate points?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh? Fmod is a commercial software-release as far as i know. Thought the shareware-license (which most likely applys to toady) isnt that hard or expensiv. I thought Toady would use here some kind of "Public-domain" libery for sound.

The non-commercial license is fine. I didn't put any thought into it personally, just FMOD 3 -> FmodEx was the path of least resistance when it came to upgrading it.

Anyway i would be pleased if you could send me your changes.

Once I'm home, will do.

---

I'll assume you're talking to me here, Baughn, because I'm a self-centred bastard.

The public repository's code *should* be the latest, even if it isn't. I'd ask you to upload new code to it, but.. right now, I'm expecting Toady to do a BC-style release with DF linked in binary form anyway, so there's not much point.

I would upload to the public if I had any idea how to do it.  :-[

I'll create a new repository once that happens.

Great.  :)

Oh, and you know git has good support for branching, right? And you can upload your own branches to the repository, and we can merge them at appropriate points?

Yeah I know, but my changes were only four or five commits worth. I didn't think it was worth making a branch. If I feel the need to do more renovation, I may create a branch.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile

Awesome. The lack of lag is. Quite a shock. My dwarves look like those Plump Helmets were not the variety they usually take.
Mayor cancels chill out: interuppted by one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.

Fast as hell. :)

I haven't had no problems at all so far, i went near the ocean, with a magma pipe. Did all the laggiest possible things. Nope. Even faster than when i had Partial_Print off.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And for that tinkering with the soundcode (a bit) would be nice. Not only being a the ocean on screen ratheren having it on screen and hearing it.

Just setting up a little system for effects (with sound-source-distance etc.) and playing multiple Songs.

Proud to be a Furry.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And for that tinkering with the soundcode (a bit) would be nice. Not only being a the ocean on screen ratheren having it on screen and hearing it.

Just setting up a little system for effects (with sound-source-distance etc.) and playing multiple Songs.

That's an interesting use of positional sound in a 2D environment. The multiple songs playing at once thing seems a little strange to me; where would that be used?

All this of course requires that Toady uses it. He mentioned he would be coming to sound much later; it's in the dev-notes (of course).

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bhelyer: For me its more like semi 3D.

Anyway i thought it could be like the approach overgrowth with its windsounds does. You could take short songs of birds, wind in trees, dwarfen chatter, working noises (that Clink-clink from Mining in the Intro) etc. Heck maybe dwarfen speech could maybe synthesized on the fly. That you sample then on the fly into the game depending what is currently on the screen and maybe above/below.

A forest could have depending on weather a basic windloop and addition wing&leaves sounds which get louder and a bit more rapid if the wind is stronger. If the wind isnt that hard you can fade in birdnoises and the sound of a falling nut here or there. Also animalsoundds if animals are around.

Ok maybe it would be a bit distracting in Fortmode but it would be very nice in ADV mode.

As "center" you use the player the center of the screen respective the cursorposition if you are in the K menus etc.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:04:07 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I don't believe that will be possible using just the basic interface I get from DF now. You couuulk to the 3dwarf folks, though.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know its a bit far fetched. The first doable step would be implementing a simple playlist so that it can play more then that one song toady does loop already. And maybe doing the fundamentals for the sound-effects so toady can use them later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:23:40 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just saw a problem in the code Heph. I'll fix it tonight, and upload it then.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure. Thanks Bhelyer.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 147