Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373510 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid input and control lag/delay.
« Reply #1350 on: April 28, 2009, 12:22:22 am »

I've noticed some odd control effects in 40d11 when dealing with rapid series of keypress inputs.

Specifically, when multiple keypresses are entered rapidly while moving through different areas of the interface, some of the commands appear to be either lost, or delayed.  This causes things like an autohotkey script that digs a pattern of 30 detailed rooms to go absolutely haywire.

Try putting lthis line at the top of your script:
Code: [Select]
SetKeyDelay 25,, Play

That sets a default delay of 25 milliseconds per keypress/release.  More importantly, it changes all Send commands to SendPlay commands, which in my experience are more reliable.

Last minute edit: this is assuming AutoHotkey.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Don't know if it matters much but I'm using Dvorak on a laptop, and never noticed any problems myself.
What OS? I'm running XP on a laptop (an old one, if that makes the slightest difference) and d11 is ignoring my Dvorak keyboard entirely.

Where can I find d9?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I really don't have time to read through all 90 pages.

Are there any plans to make a 64bit Linux release?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I really don't have time to read through all 90 pages.

No plans.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No plans.

I guess I'll just keep playing on Windows, then. Good enough for me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No plans.

I play it in 64-bit Debian.  You just need the 32-bit libs.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No plans.

My first attempt to use both 32 and 64 libs on Arch caused a bunch of problems. I'll try again eventually.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No plans.

My first attempt to use both 32 and 64 libs on Arch caused a bunch of problems. I'll try again eventually.

Use a different distro that actually provides supported 32-bit emul libraries for x86_64.  The Arch people are quite clear that they have no intention of doing that, since they want to keep Arch64 "pure 64-bit".

A user-supplied process for making a 32-bit chroot is located here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_Install_bundled_32bit_system, though I have no idea how well it works with something like SDL.

--K

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile

hot damn..  with 40d11 and partial print 0, i'm getting fps 100 (which is how fast i leave it) over an RDP connection. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware

It's simple enough to add the required libs... just install all the lib32-* stuff. You'll also need the 32bit xorg, video driver,alsa and other 'stuff'. using the archlinux.fr should help you with that. also, use yaourt -G to get pkgbuilds and make your own packages when you can't find ones pre-made.

64bit Archer here. Everything works.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, in attempting to jump straight from 40d to 40d11, I've hit a snag.  When I try to generate a world, I get the following error:  "GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog. Retry without graphical tiles, update your drivers, or better yet update your GPU."

Now, I went ahead and updated my display drivers as best I know how (went to AMD's site and found the latest graphics drivers for my card, a Radeon X850), but I'm still getting this message.  Does anyone have a clue what I'm missing here?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Did you try without graphical tiles?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'd probably help to add that yes, it works without graphical tiles.  I'm wanting to run it with tiles, though, as I've been playing that way since the beginning.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

What graphics set are you trying to use?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm using a mish-mash of things that work fine in plain old 40d.  I did update a few of the bitmaps (changed 'em to PNG via MSPaint, since the new version seems to support PNGs).  I wonder if it now belches with BMP or if it's really strict about how a PNG is formatted (do I need to add a transparency color -- that sort of thing).

UPDATE:
I've had incomplete success.  Most my tile pages are usable, but some have to be disabled (read:  not in the graphics directory).  I suspect the way 40d11 uses OpenGL places a limit on the number of textures it can use.  Judging from the number I can use, I suspect that limit is 128 (but it must include the ASCII tileset and some couple dozen textures I don't know about).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:20:24 am by Earthquake Damage »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 147