Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373628 times)

SIBLIS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Only an small increment in FPS, but at the expense of autohotkey scrips running badly. I tested it in a big fort.

And one sugestion explain in the init.ini what means every option for PRINT_MODE and SINGLE_BUFFER. So people dont need to dig in the thread to understand them.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My only problem with 40d11 is that it breaks all my AHK (auto hot key--I use it to designate certain structures I use a lot) scripts... I fixed the simple ones (the input was getting screwed up when more than one key was being sent at once... like they would happen out of order or something), but I also make use of the auto designator (whereby you can design areas, save them as a spreadsheet, and have it reproduce them), which is broken now, and which I don't have the inclination to learn enough AHK scripting to figure out how to fix and still keep reasonably fast...

EDIT: Turns out changing "SendInput" commands to "Send" commands in AHK fixes the autodesignator... SendInput is fancier... so if 40d11 is doing some crazy things to input, that may be why it doesn't work anymore.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:38:38 am by morikal »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile

EDIT: Turns out changing "SendInput" commands to "Send" commands in AHK fixes the autodesignator... SendInput is fancier... so if 40d11 is doing some crazy things to input, that may be why it doesn't work anymore.

Check if SendPlay works.  When I experimented with inputting Shift-Enter, neither Send nor SendInput worked but SendPlay did.

Now I stick this block at the top of my scriptfile which globally changes Send to SendPlay:
Code: [Select]
#SingleInstance Force
#IfWinActive, Dwarf Fortress
SetKeyDelay 25,, Play

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just got this to run on my iMac OS X 10.5.6 and I am very happy with it. It does have a problem crashing while saving sometimes, but the saves are there and ok. I LOVE that I can now adjust the speed of the game and that the mouse is supported.

Sadly, I am now in a conundrum. A) my save from the standard 40d will not load in this version (no biggie, really) and B) Mac Foreman, which I also just found and have become all too dependent on, does not work with this version.  So I must choose between the speed and mouse-kindness that is 40d11, or the usefulness of Mac Foreman.

:'( Very sad. I don't suppose there is some clever dwarf master here that may know how to get it functional?
Mac Foreman : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=695

All in all, though, this version is the bee's knees! Thank you very much!!

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, just had a CTD... luckilly I had saved maybe 20 minutes before the crash, so not too terribly much to make up...

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just got this to run on my iMac OS X 10.5.6 and I am very happy with it. It does have a problem crashing while saving sometimes, but the saves are there and ok. I LOVE that I can now adjust the speed of the game and that the mouse is supported.

Sadly, I am now in a conundrum. A) my save from the standard 40d will not load in this version (no biggie, really) and B) Mac Foreman, which I also just found and have become all too dependent on, does not work with this version.  So I must choose between the speed and mouse-kindness that is 40d11, or the usefulness of Mac Foreman.

:'( Very sad. I don't suppose there is some clever dwarf master here that may know how to get it functional?

hm, for me 40d saves are compatible, do you have any changes to the raws that may have slipped by? That also mucks up the "fix" for Mac Foreman, which isn't so much of a fix, as it is me just moving my save folder back into 40d to make the changes, then pop it back into 40d11. Annoying, but not as much as manually editing the labors of 85 odd dwarves.

Zoltan Chivay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi,

i have some problems at the beginnig of the game: in windowed mode the screen is not painted, i can see the background of my desktop. After pressing F11 i get working fullscreen and after pressing F11 again windowed mode works too. oO

the drivers are new, i assembled the pc a week ago...

40d11 with
Vista Business 64Bit,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

//edit:
it seems to be some aero-problem. after going to windowed mode from fullscreen i got the message, that aero will be turned off until DF is closed. while aero is off, the screen is painted from the beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:43:09 pm by Zoltan Chivay »

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hm, for me 40d saves are compatible, do you have any changes to the raws that may have slipped by? That also mucks up the "fix" for Mac Foreman, which isn't so much of a fix, as it is me just moving my save folder back into 40d to make the changes, then pop it back into 40d11. Annoying, but not as much as manually editing the labors of 85 odd dwarves.

Ok, so, funny thing is I've been using the Mayday tileset and was attempting to manually adjust the 40d11 to get it to work with Mayday. I could get a new world generated and play just fine, but it would crash as soon as I tried to get a 40d save running. So I went to DFFD and downloaded someone else's repack of 40d11 with mayday and my saves worked just fine‽

So, curious as I am, I tried to figure out why mine didn't work. Long story short: I copied the repack raw/objects folder over and just doing that made the 40d save work. BUT, when I replaced the old raw/objects folder that didn't work before, it worked just fine. It's like I can't get it to fail now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know you got it to work, I probably wouldn't have tried again.

Fulgore0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I was getting pathfinding issues within my own fortress with 40d11.  Seemingly random areas where I assigned jobs wouldn't ever get attended (and I know the dwarves were available to do it).  Also my standing down troops couldn't find the barracks.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On Gentoo / x86_64:

Looks like the new beta binarywas linked against libtiff.so.4, which doesn't seem to be in Gentoo's emul-linux-x86-baselibs (32bit compatibility libraries) yet.

I ran into this problem trying to make an ebuild for df.  In this case, the problem is that some Linux distributions (Gentoo included) use the libtiff developer's version numbers, making libtiff v3.6.1+ "libtiff.so.3".  Others, including apparently whatever Toady's using to build the binary (Debian/Ubuntu for example), decided to bump the version number because v3.6.1 broke compatibility with earlier versions, to v3.6.1 is "libtiff.so.4".

They're the same exact version of the library, from the same source, so the symlink is actually a legitimate solution.  Presumably when libtiff v4.0 comes out we'll have the same problem with libtiff.so.4 in Gentoo and libtiff.so.5 in Debian.

--K

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have also installed mayday's graphics pack, if that is relevant.
I didn't know Mike had a pack for d11... did you try converting the bmps to png?

He doesn't really.  But you can download the mayday pack and copy all the graphics (bmp -> png) and raws over to a 40d11 version and it works.  Copying over all the raws kinda scares me, but if you don't you get an error because of some cat_mouth change.  But I'm using the mayday pack here and I'm getting solid 100fps all the time, so I don't think there's actually a problem using them.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile

kutulu, are you suggesting compressing the Mayday pack to PNG will result in a performance boost?  Will that work with earlier 40dX versions?  I'm running 40d9 still, and considering upgrading to 40d11 now that it appears stable.  I'm also looking to move its processor affinity to an unused core and try a few other performance boosting tweaks.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The bitmaps are all decompressed on load, before being uploaded to the GPU. Whether they're BMPs or PNGs makes no difference whatsoever, except in disk space and alpha translucency support.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bitmaps are all decompressed on load, before being uploaded to the GPU. Whether they're BMPs or PNGs makes no difference whatsoever, except in disk space and alpha translucency support.

I had the impression (based on what others have said here) that at least one of the 40dX versions simply could not load bmp files.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kutulu, are you suggesting compressing the Mayday pack to PNG will result in a performance boost?  Will that work with earlier 40dX versions?  I'm running 40d9 still, and considering upgrading to 40d11 now that it appears stable.  I'm also looking to move its processor affinity to an unused core and try a few other performance boosting tweaks.

I actually never used the mayday stuff as bmp files, but my gut says it probably would be a slight increase in loading speeds but not much difference after that.  png files are smaller on-disk, so loading the tileset would be the difference between loading a big file from disk (slow), or loading a small file from disk (slow) then uncompressing it in memory (fast). 

Once the files are loaded into memory they're all uncompressed before the graphics card gets them, so it won't make a difference at run time.  But it shouldn't be any worse than before, and the files are smaller, so there's not really a downside.

As far as I know, the png format works for any of the 40dXX versions, its one of the things that came with the new OpenGL code.

--Mike
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 147