Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373610 times)

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I have been using the 40d11 a bit more lately over 40d10 and one thing I am noticing is that my fps spikes and plummets erratically.  This is with both FRAME_BUFFER and STANDARD.  It will go from numbers as high as 160fps down to 70fps.  This is with no other applications running, sans the multitude of services Vista runs.  I currently only have 25 dwarves running around on a map with a flowing brook and a volcano.

This isn't a big issue really, as 70 fps is still pretty quick.  I am afraid of how bad this will get though when I have 150 dwarves running around.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to have the same problem, but I've never figured out why.  For the most part it'll run at a steady rate, but occasionally it just plummets to something like 20-30 fps for no apparent reason.  It's nothing game breaking, just a minor annoyance really.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it has to do with how Toady made his AI.  I think it's on a timer and when you have a lot of pathfinding going on, it will spike the CPU and lower the FPS.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

On Gentoo / x86_64:

Looks like the new beta binarywas linked against libtiff.so.4, which doesn't seem to be in Gentoo's emul-linux-x86-baselibs (32bit compatibility libraries) yet.

But it seems like you can cp /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.3 to libs/libtiff.so.4 in the dwarf fortress folder and it runs. This is obviously a "fix it with an axe" type of approach to this problem, but who knows how long it will be until the baselibs' libtiff is updated.

That will work just fine so long as libtiff isn't actually /used/.
It's probably no big deal. The only way it could be used, is if someone decides to make a tileset in tiff format. Not likely, I hope.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Oh, and the erratic FPS thing seems to be a common symptom when importing saves from 40d.

I've yet to get a report of it happening with a new game.. I think. Maybe I should set up a bugtracked. (Maybe toady should?)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers

Hmm, when running it optimized(Not that I'm too sure what optimized would be, partial print is at 20 and frame buffer is on) I get about 850 fps at the title screen, though it jumps up to 1000 every once in a while.
Anyway, I'm getting really random crashes, they seem to come out of nowhere so it's hard to get a debug program to note what happened, unless I keep it running the whole time I'm playing. :/
Any suggestions would be nice, I'm running on Windows 64-bit, dual core 3.2 processor set to have DF on the first core, and a 9600 GT(though I doubt it matters.)

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Erm, I should probably note that all my games have been new games since I downloaded 40d11.  It does makes sense that the pathfinding might be on a timer of sorts, since hte FPS craps out big time when I first load a game (or first embark), but seems to level out more as more time passes, with only the occasional severe dip in FPS now and again.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have noticed something weird with 40d11 on os x. I was testing the various settings in this sort of manner; set init, embark, note fps, force quit, repeat with different setting in same embark. I have noticed that some times, but not all the time, that force quitting dwarffortress.exe, and reopening it will drop the normal fps of 300-700 to a range of 30-70. This is all within the same 6x6 with 7 dwarves. When and if this happens is only fixable by restarting the comp. I am also curious as to why partial print used to make so much of a good difference, but now it flickers wildly with any value, although I should add that setting it too standard gives me better fps then 4d9 with partial on.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I appear to be having a problem with this version:

For some reason which i cannot understand, when using this version, my Fps never gets above 7! This pretty much makes the game unplayable. I have also tried version 9, with the same results.

Computer specs:

3.0 GHz p4
2.5 gigs of ram
integrated graphics controller (64 mgb)

Help would be appreciated.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I appear to be having a problem with this version:

Do you mean 40d11 specifically?  Have you tried changing the PRINT_MODE option in init.txt?

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you mean 40d11 specifically?  Have you tried changing the PRINT_MODE option in init.txt?

Yes, 40d11. i have also tried 40d09 with the same results.

I will tinker with the partial print settings now, brb.

*changing the partial print to [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] made all the difference. I am now getting a steady 70-187 fps. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:52:08 pm by mattyb3 »
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

*changing the partial print to [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] made all the difference. I am now getting a steady 70-187 fps. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad your FPS is better, but did you copy your init.txt or part of it from a previous version?  If so, get rid of it and start with a brand new 40d11 init.txt instead -- 40d11 uses a different format for the print option and won't know how to interpret that line.  Generally it's a good idea to be very careful when copying settings from older versions.

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I am also going to point out that all of my games have been new with 40d11 minus the one I tested with.  I get the erratic FPS on all games atm with 40d11.  I didn't have this issue with 40d10 though, so I'm not sure it is a timer issue with the AI?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Hmm, when running it optimized(Not that I'm too sure what optimized would be, partial print is at 20 and frame buffer is on)
That is an impossibility with the 40d11 init format. Did you copy init.txt from an earlier version? Don't.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I appear to be having another problem now.  :-\

I reinstalled a fresh copy of 40d11, with a clean init file. I have only turned on the FPS counter, and changed some of the full screen parameters, but nothing else. I have also updated the drivers for my graphics controller.

I have also installed mayday's graphics pack, if that is relevant.

When i start df, i get the following:

I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.. Bizarrely, before i updated my drivers i was having a lot of problems with other games, except df, when i updated the drivers, everything else was working, but now df is not working.

Strange.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:24:30 pm by mattyb3 »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 147