Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373642 times)

Ornedan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Tried Linux 40d11. Keyboard fails on my Lenovo T61 laptop with finnish keyboard layout. Distro is Debian (testing + unstable) w/ KDE 3.5.10.

In 40d, it just misidentified the keys, but that was workable around by performing some experimental surgery on interface.txt. But d11 refuses to acknowledge the existence of some keys. It doesn't react in any way to pressing [åäö], with or without shift.

xorg.conf keyboard section:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Problematic keys: (Listing all of them while at it)
Character, keycode and keysym as recorded by xev. Character is the "XLookupString gives" part.
DF interpretation is what is shown when that key is bound in the key bindings screen.
CharacterKeycodeKeysymDF interpretation
å340xe5
Å340xc5
ä480xe4
Ä480xc4
ö470xf6
Ö470xd6
'510x27Key DE
*510x2aShift + Key DE
:600x3a>
;590x3b<
<940x3c,
>940x3e<
|940x7c,
+200x2b=
?200x3fShift + =
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:03:32 pm by Ornedan »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sigh...
Now I have 4 different DF folders, one for revealing and such, two for porting back to 40d9 and 40d, and now one for 40d11.
There is nothing requiring that you test the latest builds... think of them as alpha builds.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

First time poster here...

I dl'ed the 40d11 from the link on page 1.  I see few differences in speed, and most of these are on the negative side :-/

I'm running an Athlon XP 3200+ with Vista 32bit (I know, I should upgrade, but I can't atm).
3gigs of DDR400, running off of a SATA HD (not same drive as OS).
Radeon HD3870, 512mb GDDR5, updated drivers yesterday.

I average 100fps on a 4x4 with 7 dwarves and normal # of z-levels.  I have my fps cap set to 1000 and my g_fps cap set to 10.  Print Mode is set to Standard, whenever I use partial and any # it flickers on the main menu, same result whether Single Buffer is set to YES or NO. 

Hopefully there are some tips/configuration changes I can make.  I really enjoy the game, it just bogs down on any map bigger than 4x4 :-/
You should try one of the *other* drawing modes. Try using framebuffer or accum mode.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Tried Linux 40d11. Keyboard fails on my Lenovo T61 laptop with finnish keyboard layout. Distro is Debian (testing + unstable) w/ KDE 3.5.10.

In 40d, it just misidentified the keys, but that was workable around by performing some experimental surgery on interface.txt. But d11 refuses to acknowledge the existence of some keys. It doesn't react in any way to pressing [åäö], with or without shift.

xorg.conf keyboard section:

Problematic keys: (Listing all of them while at it)
Character, keycode and keysym as recorded by xev. Character is the "XLookupString gives" part.
DF interpretation is what is shown when that key is bound in the key bindings screen.
CharacterKeycodeKeysymDF interpretation
å340xe5
Å340xc5
ä480xe4
Ä480xc4
ö470xf6
Ö470xd6
'510x27Key DE
*510x2aShift + Key DE
:600x3a>
;590x3b<
<940x3c,
>940x3e<
|940x7c,
+200x2b=
?200x3fShift + =

Mmh. I'm increasingly thinking the entire DF keyboard system should be rewritten, including Toady's code. It isn't working very well.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to ask if it's possible in d11 to activate partial print and frame buffer at the same time.  It was possible in d9, and I found it most effective.

So far, using frame or accum buffer alone are slow for me, and partial print is about as good as d9.  While is a hell of a lot faster than before.  <Thanks Armok>

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I'd like to ask if it's possible in d11 to activate partial print and frame buffer at the same time.  It was possible in d9, and I found it most effective.

So far, using frame or accum buffer alone are slow for me, and partial print is about as good as d9.  While is a hell of a lot faster than before.  <Thanks Armok>
The framebuffer/accum modes automatically turn on partial printing. There's no explicit requirement for that, since it's the only thing that makes sense; if they work at all, they'll work with partial-printing on and no redraws.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ello...kinda new here... :)  I tend to ramble a bit, so I apologize in advance.

Anyways...!  Stumbled on this version of the game quite by accident, so figured I'd try it out.  I must say, in general the performance difference is vast as opposed to what I had been using, in a good way.

I am curious though.  I see people getting vastly higher FPS, and I'm intrigued as to what I might be doing wrong?  My biggest problem seem to be that, with the map I've been testing on, it keeps stuttering.  It averages about 60fps, but it'll occasionally pause, dropping it to about 20fps.  Any ideas how I might improve this...if there is a way?  I've nosed through the thread a bit, but haven't really managed anything that seems to work quite as well as it does for some.

Done some testing, and using the largest map possible, I seem to average about 60 fps.  This is on a brand new map, standard 7 dwarves, and about 25 animals (2 tame) of various kinds.  FPS is set to 100 max, G_FPS is set to 10 (was at 20, but didn't see any noticeable difference)
I've tried the standard, partial, etc modes...but Standard seems to work best.  Partial:2 (not sure what a good number is here to be honest) runs rather good as well, seems just slightly better than standard.  The other modes seem to do that pausing stutter a lot more.

I'm also using a modified grid size, which is set to 80:48, 1280x768 (although after some testing, this doesn't seem to matter)

Onto the PC specs I suppose...  AMD Athalon 64 X2 dual, 4200+
2.20GHz, 3 Gigs of ram.
Video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, just updated the drivers last night.

[edit]
It also seems, for some reason, that occasionally the game will simply stop responding to key presses.  Its still running, but it won't acknowledge anything, which leaves me having to end the task to close it (and losing progress :(  )  I play windowed, and bounce between the game and others things a lot as well...but I don't know if that causes it or not.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:12:02 pm by Tayron »

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Want to post your init settings?  Those are always helpful.  And, before anyone else says it, make sure you drivers are all up to date.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, drivers definitely up to date, that was one of the first things I did.  50-60fps is definitely a vast improvement over what it was previously...but, if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it, I'm all for it. :) 
As for the locking up issue, I discovered (rather by accident) that minimizing the game, then reopening it, fixes the problem.

Anyways, here's the init.exe

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Well, you might try a print_mode other than standard. Framebuffer tends to give great results for the more modern cards.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm...  I don't really seem to get any noticeable performance change when I use the Framebuffer setting.

I can, of course, just try smaller maps, too...  Upon experimenting, the default sized map gives me a good 250 fps.  I just figured I'd see if I could get more out of a large size.  Well, thanks for trying. =)

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Tayron, I run my game in Windowed as well.  Instead of minimizing and restoring, you can alt-tab to a different application and then click back on DF, instead of alt-tabbing back to it.  This should allow you to use the keyboard again.

Changed the Print type to FRAME_BUFFER, and on a 4x4 map, seeing about 2x the FPS I was seeing before with just my starting 7.

I decided to test out a save from 40d10 with 130 dwarves and a large fortress.  I didn't see any differences between the new and old version, but this could be due to using a save file from a different version?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 31, 2009, 12:59:34 am »

Just noticed something:

If you google dwarf fortress, the second result says

"There was a dwarf with one eye bugged out and one eye sunken in with colorless irises and one quadrant worth of teeth ten times as long as the others and ..."

Sounds intriguing enough that it might rope in a few people.

EDIT: DUNNO how this got cross posted..................... srry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:52:13 pm by Qmarx »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and tileset creators: This version should accept PNG tilesets with alpha transparency. I say "should", because the code has not been tested, there being no such tilesets to test it on yet. This must not continue. ;)
Does this actually mean, I could create a graphics set that enables me to see what tiles my dwarves are standing on?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, no. Still one tile per, er, tile.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 147