Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373643 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

will try d2 - d9

Sorry, never made the step to Linux yet
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Well ok..

Some bad news.

downloaded all versions d2-d9, tried to run m with clean install.
Same result for every version.

Dwarffortress.exe is using 1 of my 2 CPU cores at full capacity, but I don't get any pop-up asking for run fullscreen yes/no, no sounds, no game..

I did notice, keeping half an eye on my task manager, that when I start up dwarffortress.exe, my CPU use tops out to 100%, as if both cores were fully in use. Within a second, it settles at 50%, with dwarffortress.exe using all of that.
Could be a windows artifact, meaning nothing. Or it could be that in some strange way, dwarffortess.exe cannot decide which core to use.. But, again, I'm no programmer. Just observing and guessing.

EDIT: it seems I have the same ATI graphics card in my laptop as Xgamer (ATI Radeon Xpress 1100), whose problem u solved earlier.. I think though, he is running Linux, right?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:01:59 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well ok..

Some bad news.

downloaded all versions d2-d9, tried to run m with clean install.
Same result for every version.
Do you have a heavily modified Windows install?  (like n-lite, I think it's called... where you install a very minimal subset of windows)

Have you tried re-installing your video card drivers?  (Your problem tells me it's something to do with video output since it seems like DF is starting but something doesn't "kick off" the renderer for some reason... be it a liberal try/catch error trapping or something.)

Have you tried other OpenGL games.  (Quake, WoW?)

Repeat above for sound drivers.. try disabling sound in the init.txt ... try disabling the intro movie...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am still having the exact same problem as Martinuzz, and I have a single core processor.  I have had the problem since the first release......
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I can report that my problem with key repeat failure has been resolved by d11. I'm not sure if it is in d10, because I kinda jumped updates.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Do you have a heavily modified Windows install?  (like n-lite, I think it's called... where you install a very minimal subset of windows)

nope, full windows XP Home Edition install, SP3, update regularly

Have you tried re-installing your video card drivers?  (Your problem tells me it's something to do with video output since it seems like DF is starting but something doesn't "kick off" the renderer for some reason... be it a liberal try/catch error trapping or something.)
Didn't try, will find cd.. Tried to update my drivers once, but I think there never were any driver updates for my card.. Xgamer mentioned Omega drivers, but I have a feeling that's not for Windows. If it is, someone pls provide me with a link.

Have you tried other OpenGL games.  (Quake, WoW?)
Not those two specific titles, but I've run mebbe over a hundred different games on this laptop, all work fine. I play EVE-online on it too, dunno if that's openGL

Repeat above for sound drivers.. try disabling sound in the init.txt ... try disabling the intro movie...
Hmmm. Don't think the trouble lies that deep..  If it were the sound drivers, or trouble with the intro movie, I'm sure I would at least get the pop-up window asking me whether to run the game in fullscreen or not.
I'm more into your feeling about video renderer not kicking in.. Would have to be at a very early stage of program starting though, seen the fact there isn't even a pop-up prompt.

Remains also the fact that although dwarffortress.exe is running, it's not listed as an active application, only as a process, in the Ctrl-Alt-Del panel, I dunno if failure to render could cause that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:15:49 pm by martinuzz »

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:29:26 pm by qwert »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Well, the good news is I finally found an updated driver for my Radeon Xpress 1100, thanks to Qwert, and some nefarious scourging of the linked site.

It turns out I have been looking in the wrong place. Found my drivers under 'integrated' , not under 'Radeon'

The bad news is, that with my new and updated drivers, I've tried d9 and d11. Still the same problem.

Also checked the OpenGL games list. Played 2 or 3 of those on this rig. Played Diablo II for sure, think also Homeworld and Unreal. Could have been Homeworld II though.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok I donloaded battle champs source code, built it, but it looks like a game of Risk, is there a way of getting it like normal dwarf mode?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Martinuzz:

Could you download GLView (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/), run that, and paste the report it produces?

That said, I very much doubt it's a problem with opengl. If not even the dialog box shows up.. that runs before GL is even initialized.

Hmm. Okay, what processor is in your machine?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I am using an AMD Turion64 x2 mobile technology processor

Ok, the report:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: btw, I tried the free trial version of WoW that came with my new driver :p
works fine, so no openGL issue there at least
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:59:58 pm by martinuzz »

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

ok I donloaded battle champs source code, built it, but it looks like a game of Risk, is there a way of getting it like normal dwarf mode?

Nope. You'd need the DF source for that.

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

First time poster here...

I dl'ed the 40d11 from the link on page 1.  I see few differences in speed, and most of these are on the negative side :-/

I'm running an Athlon XP 3200+ with Vista 32bit (I know, I should upgrade, but I can't atm).
3gigs of DDR400, running off of a SATA HD (not same drive as OS).
Radeon HD3870, 512mb GDDR5, updated drivers yesterday.

I average 100fps on a 4x4 with 7 dwarves and normal # of z-levels.  I have my fps cap set to 1000 and my g_fps cap set to 10.  Print Mode is set to Standard, whenever I use partial and any # it flickers on the main menu, same result whether Single Buffer is set to YES or NO. 

I have provided the OpenGL Extensions report here as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully there are some tips/configuration changes I can make.  I really enjoy the game, it just bogs down on any map bigger than 4x4 :-/

Thanks in advance!

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

d11 with partial print on is just epic.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sigh...
Now I have 4 different DF folders, one for revealing and such, two for porting back to 40d9 and 40d, and now one for 40d11.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 147