Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373689 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

As I recall, there were some tough problems trying to get keyboard translation working correctly.

Mostly, it's caused by DF viewing keys such as "@" not as "@", but in fact as "shift-2"; it's entirely nonobvious how I should handle that, or whether reading it as shift-2 might in fact be the right thing to do. In the end, I pretty much gave up, seeing as it only really seemed to affect non-qwerty keyboards and I had none to test on.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As I recall, there were some tough problems trying to get keyboard translation working correctly.

Mostly, it's caused by DF viewing keys such as "@" not as "@", but in fact as "shift-2"; it's entirely nonobvious how I should handle that, or whether reading it as shift-2 might in fact be the right thing to do. In the end, I pretty much gave up, seeing as it only really seemed to affect non-qwerty keyboards and I had none to test on.

Ah, yes. As McMartin put it:
Bug filed as > CLOSED WORKSFORME

counterfeit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@veroule
Here are my clarifications/corrections/additional information:
I tested on two machines:

Machine A is an Acer Aspire one A150L with a german keyboard. It runs a german Ubuntu 8.10, the keyboard is recognised as "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC", the layout is "Germany Elminate dead keys", my locale is "de_DE.utf-8".

Machine B is a standard PC (details on request), the keyboard is a german PS/2 "Cherry RS 6000 M". It runs either a german Ubuntu 8.04 or an english Windows XP.
Under Ubuntu the keyboard is recognised as "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC", the layout is "Germany Elminate dead keys", my locale is "de_DE.utf-8".
Under Windows the keyboard is recognised as "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard". Regional and Language Options are set to "German(Germany)", the location is "Germany". Input language is "German (Germany - German)"

In the following table linux refers to:
Ubuntu 8.04, 40d11 on Machine B
Ubuntu 8.10, 40d9 and 40d11 on Machine A

Windows refers to:
Windows XP, 40d11 on Machine B
wine under Ubuntu 8.04, 40d9 on Machine B. In this case z gives y and y gives z in contrary to the table

expectedresult linux (1)result windows (2)
yyz (y under wine)
zzy (z under wine)
?nothing_
ßnothing-
'Key DE=
ünothingKey DB
önothingnothing
änothingKey DE
+=Key DD
#3Key DC
--/
__?
:>>
;<<
<,,
><<
^6Key C0

Is there any additional information needed? Something else I can test?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com

Mah 40d11 Report!

Starting parameters:
-Used Mike Mayday's tileset and init/art settings.
-Copied my current save from 40d.  Current save has a total population of 159, with tens of thousands of units of stone and blocks lying about, plus miscellaneous objects.  The entire perimeter of the map is channelled, forcing outside entities to travel to a specific point in order to enter the fortress grounds.
-Framerate in 40d averaged 4 and scrolling without pausing beforehand is a nightmare.
-Computer is an AMD Athlon 3000+ with 3 GBs of RAM, running Windows 2000 Professional.

40d11 With Normal Print:
-Skipping the intros causes red squares to flicker.
-No changes to FPS.

40d11 With ACCUM_BUFFER:
-Skipping intros causes red squares to appear on-screen and remain there until I enter the main menu.
-Concealing DF behind another window and going back to it briefly causes blurry graphics to appear on-screen.  Df takes a while to re-appear.
-No changes to FPS.

40d11 With ACCUM_BUFFER and SINGLE_BUFFER:
-Same results as above.

40d11 With FRAME_BUFFER:
-Same results as above.

40d11 With FRAME_BUFFER and SINGLE_BUFFER:
-Same results as above.

40d11 With PARTIAL:2:
-Skipping the intros causes red squares to flicker.
-Still no changes to FPS.

Conclusion:
-pathfinding is probably the biggest bottleneck I've got and graphical updates won't do anything to help the cause.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,
my world gen stops at year 200, although it has END_YEAR 1050 set

this is minor problem and maybe I overlook something. I am not very frequent player.

any suggestions? Thank you
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year 200 is the first year the game checks about megabeast percentage - it means that your megabeasts die off at 200, usual since a few versions ago. It's normal. But if you want to see till 1050, open DwarfFortress/Raw/Objects/creature_standard.txt and up the sizes and damblocks of your megabeasts quite a bit before genning a world.

After your embark, lower them, or keep them high for a challenge.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile

My current findings:

default 6x6 start area, large terrain variations, open Chasm, Play Now!

Both old and new version have identical Init.txt and Raws

New version starts at around 30 fps and within 3 secs climbs to 130-150

Old version starts and 3-4 fps and takes around a minute to climb to it's stable max of 180-190

Haven't tried with larg forts yet so that is yet to be decided.

On a side note, I ran it with partialprint:yes:4000 which I have been doing for several versions as that helps speed things up significantly on my sys.

I haven't done tests with flowing water yet either. Ill report back with the results.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't actually use a different physical keyboard when using dvorak.  All you have to do is change the layout.  If you want to test it for yourself in windows goto control panel->Regional and Language Settings ->Language Tab->Details->click Add->Pull the dropdown to United States-Dvorak.  Then you can switch between Dvorak and Qwerty using the language bar, it will probably be on the right side of your taskbar by the clock.

For linux it is usually as simple as 'loadkeys dvorak', and then 'loadkeys us' to switch back. 
OSX I don't know, but the linux example might work there as well.

You can also do these same steps to try other layouts, although some might not work well with us keyboards.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

This will not work. Both the raws (very slightly) and init.txt (quite a lot) have changed from 40d to 40d11. That it works at all is, frankly, a miracle.

Chonker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I have a problem with the alpha transparency.  In general it works very well but I've been trying to create a barrel sprite and with the way the barrel sprite is inverted (the background colour shows through as the colour of the barrel body) you can't use semi-transparent pixels to darken the background colour.

spathi4tw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

You don't actually use a different physical keyboard when using dvorak.  All you have to do is change the layout.  If you want to test it for yourself in windows goto control panel->Regional and Language Settings ->Language Tab->Details->click Add->Pull the dropdown to United States-Dvorak.  Then you can switch between Dvorak and Qwerty using the language bar, it will probably be on the right side of your taskbar by the clock.

For linux it is usually as simple as 'loadkeys dvorak', and then 'loadkeys us' to switch back. 
OSX I don't know, but the linux example might work there as well.

OSX is pretty much the same idea as the windows example. System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu and a a check mark next to Dvorak. If you also check 'Show input menu in menu bar' then you get a flag in the right side of the menu bar you can use to toggle between any active keyboard layouts.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This will not work. Both the raws (very slightly) and init.txt (quite a lot) have changed from 40d to 40d11. That it works at all is, frankly, a miracle.

Just out of curiosity, what's new in the raws?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Init.txt has changes for partial print, but most of the text file is the same.

About the raws.. My checks resulted in almost no changes.

Wanna bet it's the exe itself that's changed?
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

"Almost" is not "none". The executable did change, mind you.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly has changed in the raws?

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 147