Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373721 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mumble. The keyboard layout problem is back (it was mostly fixed in d9) - it assumes QWERTY, even when you're not using QWERTY.

Which OS is this, and what keyboard are you using?

I ask because there are two kinds of non-qwerty keyboards - ones like the system french keyboard actually switch VK_A and VK_Q, and VK_Z with VK_W, as opposed to user created (and for all i know maybe some other system keyboards) ones that just have e.g. VK_Q emit a "A" character.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mumble. The keyboard layout problem is back (it was mostly fixed in d9) - it assumes QWERTY, even when you're not using QWERTY.

Which OS is this, and what keyboard are you using?

I ask because there are two kinds of non-qwerty keyboards - ones like the system french keyboard actually switch VK_A and VK_Q, and VK_Z with VK_W, as opposed to user created (and for all i know maybe some other system keyboards) ones that just have e.g. VK_Q emit a "A" character.

WinXPSP2, Dvorak layout.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In d9 it was possible to select items quickly by holding down d (or any other key) then using the arrow keys to move the cursor. This behavior made it very easy to trade at the depot or when dealing with the trade liaison.
I know this was a side effect of unwanted behavior in the keyboard handling routine. It is a nice feature tho and I would appreciate its return.

graphically d10 works with no problems
windows xp
intel q35 express chipset

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:-[A key-doubling problem with d10 occurs on my machine, which is an iMac G4 (PPC7450@1GHz) running OS X 10.5.6.  It did not exist in d9.  Adjusting the key repeat rate does not prevent it.  The space bar in particular is very sensitive, often acting as if it had been pressed twice.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WinXPSP2, Dvorak layout.

Just checked, US Dvorak layout is a "good" layout (i.e. VK_A VK_O VK_E VK_U etc are in the right place)

[what that implies is that this is indeed a problem with DF, in case i wasn't clear]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Do I need an extra program to run this version of DF?

I installed it, also a graphic pack, but when running dwarf fortress.exe, the game does not start.

I only get a gamelog.txt file, stating:  *** starting new game ***

The process is not visible under (ctrl-alt-del) applications, but it is active as a process...

btw using windows XP, AMD turion, ati graphics card, laptop

EDIT: same with clean 40d10 install, only turned off weather in init
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:59:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I too have problems with keyboard layout. I don't have a native english keyboard, but a Turkish one instead, and the < and > keys jumped left one key; between older versions (including 38c*- 40d 1-9). I'm using default key layout, btw. Haven't changed anything. It's not that big of a problem, but when I want to move down a level, I see the help screen, and when I move up a level, I move down instead :P

I can get used to it, but I'd like to know if this is an intended, fixable behaviour, or what. I'd also like to know if other foreign players (Let's see, say, any QWERTY non-english users) experienced this.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I don't want to annoy Toady too much (I think it's the fourth time), but...    the top block still says 40d9. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently with 50-odd population, traders in my market, and about 20 animals I'm getting approximately 75-100 FPS; this does not change whether I use any of the PRINT_MODE options.

I'm not getting the key repeat error, and so far the game looks pretty stable. When I loaded an older fort, I was getting about 400fps with the same population. Wow. :) I think my vertical cistern is causing the drop, but its very simple.

Nice work Toady One!
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile

:-[A key-doubling problem with d10 occurs on my machine, which is an iMac G4 (PPC7450@1GHz) running OS X 10.5.6.  It did not exist in d9.  Adjusting the key repeat rate does not prevent it.  The space bar in particular is very sensitive, often acting as if it had been pressed twice.

Likewise here.  With 40d10 I don't have the opportunity to select anything when I build an item where you build an item and then select an item or material from a subsequent list. For example the material used to build a workshop, the particular item to place (bed, container, cage, etc) on any of these types of menus I never get the list, it just places the build item.

In particular it's causing problems trying to place high quality items in particular rooms and cages with specific animals in them, and obviously picking materials with which to build workshops.

P.S. adjusting the key repeat rate also does not help me.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Tried a new donload thought mebbe it would help..

Alas to no effect..

I noticed however, that the dwarfortress.exe process DOES use all of my CPU on 1 core, so it's doing something, but not launching DF as an application..

PLease, any advice? I wanna test but it won't run
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WinXPSP2, Dvorak layout.

Just checked, US Dvorak layout is a "good" layout (i.e. VK_A VK_O VK_E VK_U etc are in the right place)

[what that implies is that this is indeed a problem with DF, in case i wasn't clear]

I think d7 had this problem, but it was fixed (mostly) in d9.

counterfeit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also have problems with my keyboard in 40d10 (same problem in 40d9). I use a german qwertz layout. Numbers and letters work well but other stuff works like with an english layout or not at all.
Numpad seams to work.

Chonker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I started working on my own tileset recently and was put off by the lack of alpha transparency.  We shall double our efforts!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

In 40d, I hope - it's still working in 40d10, right?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 147