Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373754 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just so people know, the [KEY_HOLD_MS] tag in your init file should be changed from 150 to 230 or so.  That way keys don't get 'pressed' multiple times.
Changed mine to 250... seems to work great.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am glad to hear there is a work around for this problem.  Since it is my rewrite of the lower level keyboard stuff that is causing this I will be making every effort to sort out the cause with Toady.

It would be most helpful to have a complete report of events that show key replication.  Since the first report I have seen it on the main menu with "Create World" and "Design World with parameters"; and also when building a workshop in fortress mode.

What may be meaningless in all cases so far is that it is the Enter that is being replicated.  I would like to rule that out first if possible, so if anyone can find something where a different key is repeated incorrectly I would appreciate that.  Also all cases where the Enter key is valid for multiple presses, but behaves correctly is helpful.  Sometimes having things behave right is the most important clue about where the bug is.

It would be nice to fix this, so please don't just use a change in the delay to jump around it.  From a testing report Toady sent me that work around doesn't cover all cases.  Please take some time to try and help me find what went wrong, then use the work around and enjoy playing.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Significant improvement, same init settings, same world, same fortress, same mods.

40d=30fps
40d10=70fps

No major problems so far.  There is a minor window position startup issue, but the window can just be moved into the proper location without issue.  Examples follow.

Spoiler: 40d startup position (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 40d10 startup position (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that is 1230x708 (Yes I know that that might as well be full screen and it would run slightly faster if it was, but I like having the windows bar at the bottom)

I was kinda setting the 40d# versions aside because while I was getting an improvement I didn't wanna lose access to some utilities I like.  (my massive staircase to the lowest z level wasn't quite the same without a chasm at the bottom)  But this is more than 100% improvement on a fortress that is significantly clogged with creatures, so I'm switching over.  Good work to everyone involved.

P.S.#2: I havent encountered the problem with enter yet but I only ran each for a short time to get an fps comparison.  I'm still in my browsing the forums phase, once I get down into oplaying I'll post another edit if I have any thoughts/experiences on it.

Update: I did some messing around with constructions cabinets and pretty much anything on hand I could find that uses the enter key.  I don't seem to be having any problems with it.  my key hold is at 150.  My up and down keys seem to go an extra line once in awhile, but that could have always happened and I'm just noticing it more now that I'm looking for it or something.  Also, as somebody else mentioned I'm also getting a frame or two of recordings flashing every couple of seconds.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:42:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile

I tested it in adventure mode for a bit and I was getting ~100 FPS even near a chasm. My FPS would usually hover at around 30 before in similar situations. Fortress mode also shows a pretty hefty improvement but I haven't had a lot of time to test it out yet.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile

Truly awful performance 150 pop fort, d9: 7-9 fps d10: 19-23 fps 
GRID 80:50  FPS_CAP 100 G_FPS_CAP 20

Experiencing key doubling in many menus and general use. Happens when moving the cursor around the map but oddly I have not noticed it to occur when scrolling the map outside of a cursor mode.

Soor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a minor window position startup issue, but the window can just be moved into the proper location without issue.
Now that you point it out, I've noticed this is happening with 40d9 as well.

Re: the keypress issue, it seems to trigger more the lower the fps is. Its especially noticeable once G_FPS is hit.

A couple of days with this version will tell me if the sporadc crash-on-save I'm getting is related to fortress population/complexity like I suspect ...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Truly awful performance 150 pop fort, d9: 7-9 fps d10: 19-23 fps 
GRID 80:50  FPS_CAP 100 G_FPS_CAP 20

That's because it's a 150 pop fort.
!!&!!

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile

That's because it's a 150 pop fort.

Nah, I have others that run acceptably. This one has some pathing pitfalls specially doctored up.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Well, what do you get on 40d with the same fort?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Next one should be up a little after I get up unless something comes up while I sleep.  A main culprit for key doubling has been fixed.  It's not clear yet whether it takes care of all of them, but it fixed the embark text and workshop placement for me.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next one should be up a little after I get up unless something comes up while I sleep.  A main culprit for key doubling has been fixed.  It's not clear yet whether it takes care of all of them, but it fixed the embark text and workshop placement for me.

Hey Toady,

I've been using 40d9 on Mac OSX for a while now with good performance. I'll have time later to check out more thoroughly how d10 runs, but when I saw your note about keyboard stuff, I decided to very quickly check something.

I know that I, and at least a few others, have had problems with Shift-A. For some reason, that keystroke alone required being typed twice to be recognized... Shift-anything else worked okay, 'a' alone worked okay... It was just Shift-A that was a problem.

I very quickly created a new world/fort in d10 and tried Shift-A in a couple different menus (build archery target, set dwarf to active military). No problems; keystroke worked immediately. Woot!

I'll try it again later on my existing, large forts, but don't see why it shouldn't work. Thanks...

EDIT ( I don't know if Shift-A works because of a key doubling problem, or if it's truly fixed. I hadn't noticed any other keyboard problems with OSX d10, but I'll check more thoroughly later, when I can. )

Also, is there anything in particular you can say about the changes from d9 to d10? Just curiosity...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:06:13 pm by mattmoss »

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #1061 on: March 23, 2009, 08:07:13 am »

I get a segfault when exiting on Mac OS X - is this normal?

macbookpro Dwarf Fortress $ ./df 
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 384x368
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 384x368
Ideal catalog size: 1008x1008
./df: line 4: 78570 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe

Yes, unfortunately it is. The crash is in the sound code somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where.

Is that mac specific, Baughn? If not do you know how to reproduce? I'm the one that wrote the crap sound code, and I could save you the digging if I could get it to reproduce. I'll have a look tonight, regardless (I have finally re-set up my dev environment; bloody computer troubles).

If it is mac specific, would you be so kind as to give me a back trace from gdb? (This is why I shouldn't post, then read, I guess :P)

But if it is happening when the sound is off, that is strange because as I recall, all methods just bail straight away in that case.

(Oh, and hey bombcar! /waves)

I also get a segfault when exiting OSX 40d9 (haven't tried d10 yet) in a similar way (although I thought mine said line 5). HOWEVER, that only started happening AFTER I put in mayday's graphics and tinkered with the init file.  I assumed there was something I did in the init that caused the problem, but haven't gone back in to figure it out.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I get the best results using ACCUM_BUFFER or FRAME_BUFFER for PRINT_MODE, though ACCUM_BUFFER flickers for a second if I minimize/maximize or another window gets in the way. Generally getting around 800-900 FPS with either which is about where I was at with d9 using partial print. STANDARD is slower by a couple of hundred frames for me overall, nothing new there. PARTIAL, even if I up the number flickers like crazy and is a mess.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mumble. The keyboard layout problem is back (it was mostly fixed in d9) - it assumes QWERTY, even when you're not using QWERTY.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile

Okay with 40d it's 15-16 fps. Settings aren't exactly the same, GRID is 80:48
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 147