Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373789 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2009, 07:28:13 am »

It's not feasible. We can ask the driver whether a given extension exists, but not how fast it is; worse, on some cards (read: older ati ones) turning on the framebuffer extension will outright corrupt the GPU driver state, crashing the machine or at least DF.

What about detecting the card itself?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:34 am »

It's not feasible. We can ask the driver whether a given extension exists, but not how fast it is; worse, on some cards (read: older ati ones) turning on the framebuffer extension will outright corrupt the GPU driver state, crashing the machine or at least DF.

What about detecting the card itself?

Insufficient. We'd need a database of cards, drivers, possibly directx minor version...

There are too many variables. Basically, windows is a horrible platform for games, if you don't have the clout to get the card manufacturers to help.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2009, 10:17:30 am »

Good morning!

I don't think this has been reported - at least search seems to be coming up empty. If it's on one of the 67 other pages of posts I don't have time to read through I apologize.

I've been testing 40d9, and generally am both happy and impressed. The only weird thing that I've seen so far is minor, but annoying.

On different creature sprites (seen it on ducks, geese, and guars so far), in certain positions (it comes and goes), there is a vertical blue line on the far left of their rendering. I don't THINK it's a BMP file problem, because it's not consistent.

If there is any relevant debug information I can provide, please let me know. I should be able to re-create the situation without much trouble, since I'm currently testing a mod.

Rochndil, who is also testing a software project for work (in his DF-free time).
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:02 pm »

Warcraft 3 never lags at 100+ units on "sort-of-3d" map... DF does, badly. *sad face*

This is actually a good point. But more because it shows the real differences between DF and most other 3d games. Couple facts about Warcraft 3 that make it different:

1) It's maps are almost entirely static. There are a few things that can change during play but by and large the struture of the map never changes. This lets War3 (and many other games that do similar things) pre-compute huge amounts of information that DF has to do on the fly because the player is constantly digging, blasting, flooding and otherwise changing the underlying the structure of the world.

2) It's maps are actually 2d from a pathfinding point of view. When playing a game just ask yourself this: Is there ever a point on the terrain that is directly below or above another point? Can I ever have one unit directly above another? And remember "flying" units don't count because all they actually do is just turn off the entire pathfinding system.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:12 pm »

Good morning!

I don't think this has been reported - at least search seems to be coming up empty. If it's on one of the 67 other pages of posts I don't have time to read through I apologize.

I've been testing 40d9, and generally am both happy and impressed. The only weird thing that I've seen so far is minor, but annoying.

On different creature sprites (seen it on ducks, geese, and guars so far), in certain positions (it comes and goes), there is a vertical blue line on the far left of their rendering. I don't THINK it's a BMP file problem, because it's not consistent.

If there is any relevant debug information I can provide, please let me know. I should be able to re-create the situation without much trouble, since I'm currently testing a mod.

Rochndil, who is also testing a software project for work (in his DF-free time).

Could you try converting the tiles to PNG and loading them like that?

It's unlikely to matter, but it'd be a data-point.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 16, 2009, 02:31:18 pm »

Absolutely!

I'll try that this evening and see what happens. I'd do it now, but I'm at work, and I don't think my boss would approve. :)

Rochndil, always testing something...

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:34 pm »

If you want a game to compare DF to, compare it to SimCity 4 or something. It's doing about the same amount of work in the background running the simulation.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 16, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »

I freely admit that I have not read this 41-page thread, so apologies if this has already been reported. I'm getting regular bus errors when trying to run the Mac version; I haven't made it out of the first season yet and already I've had five such crashes.

Computer: 2GHz Intel Core Duo / 2GB RAM

The commandline says:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the crash log says:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, this is basically precluding use of 40d9 for me. :\

Edit: just tried 40d and it also crashed, so it's probably not 40d9's fault. Bah!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:31:35 pm by Derakon »
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 16, 2009, 05:32:17 pm »

Good evening.

I've poked at it a bit, and while I can see what it's doing, I'm not sure why. Also, in my investigation, I discovered a new, but clearly related, error.

Download the file here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=900

You'll find three files inside.

1. The "ducks" file shows the blue bar on one duck, and NOT on the other. It seems to be related to their position in some way. As the critters move around the blue bar seems to appear and disappear at random. What's interesting also in the cap is the fact that the last pixel on the tail of the errored duck is missing.

2. large_temperate_new.bmp is Chariot's Zoo Mod file, and looking at the file you can see where the blue came from, last column previous row. This would have been invisible if that area of the file were the transparent color, so it may be happening more often than it seems.

3. In the "bags" file you see something new (to me). This IS a consistent error, until the bags are moved, and then it may disappear, depending on where they're dropped.

I also tested changing file #2 to a png file, and the behavior is identical.

Hopefully this will be helpful in sorting this out. If any additional information is necessary, please let me know. I can provide detailed system specs, etc.

Rochndil, who will get back to modding....

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »

I'll have to test your convenient package tomorrow, but I've seen something like that before, when the texture coordinates weren't being generated correctly.

Of course, at the time we only got occasional weirdness when they were in fact almost exactly balanced between rightness and wrongness, and now it's offset 0.5 units from that, so it should never happen.. still, I don't know, if you've set any odd options in your GPU driver options you should look at that. In particular anything to do with textures.

vix0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 16, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »

Doesn't run for me.   On running I get "FATAL ERROR: Main index file missing/corrupted.  The file "index" must be in the "data" folder.  Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.".  I've verified that the index file is indeed there and dated today.  Also tried a completely clean folder with the same results.  

If I replace the index file with the one from .40d it starts to run and I hear the intro sound etc, but the screen is black.  There will be an occasional block of color but 99% of the time it's just black with no output.

Vista x64
GeForce 8800 GTS (driver version 180.48)

[e] redownloading the package seems to have fixed the problem.  Dunno why.
I'm having this problem as well. Tried redownloading both DF as well as this patch, and no matter what, it gives me that error.

If I use Dwarf Fortress.exe, however, I can play, but it doesn't seem like any sort of speed patch has been applied.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but this post is the only one that turned up in my search. I'd really like to get this working, since I'm stupid and made a perpetual waterfall into my bottomless pit.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 16, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »

I get a segfault when exiting on Mac OS X - is this normal?

macbookpro Dwarf Fortress $ ./df 
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 384x368
Ideal catalog size: 1008x1008
./df: line 4: 78570 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2009, 02:11:05 am »

Warcraft 3 never lags at 100+ units on "sort-of-3d" map... DF does, badly. *sad face*

This is actually a good point. But more because it shows the real differences between DF and most other 3d games. Couple facts about Warcraft 3 that make it different:

1) It's maps are almost entirely static. There are a few things that can change during play but by and large the struture of the map never changes. This lets War3 (and many other games that do similar things) pre-compute huge amounts of information that DF has to do on the fly because the player is constantly digging, blasting, flooding and otherwise changing the underlying the structure of the world.

2) It's maps are actually 2d from a pathfinding point of view. When playing a game just ask yourself this: Is there ever a point on the terrain that is directly below or above another point? Can I ever have one unit directly above another? And remember "flying" units don't count because all they actually do is just turn off the entire pathfinding system.

Since it looks like DF isn't going to get any more simplier...

must..

have..

10GHz PC..

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:03 am »

I get a segfault when exiting on Mac OS X - is this normal?

macbookpro Dwarf Fortress $ ./df 
Ideal catalog size: 1008x1008
./df: line 4: 78570 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe

Yes, unfortunately it is. The crash is in the sound code somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2009, 09:16:31 am »

Of course, at the time we only got occasional weirdness when they were in fact almost exactly balanced between rightness and wrongness, and now it's offset 0.5 units from that, so it should never happen.. still, I don't know, if you've set any odd options in your GPU driver options you should look at that. In particular anything to do with textures.

I shouldn't have anything odd in the set-up, it's a pretty straightforward Nvidia 6200 256MB AGP card, using their latest driver for 2000. Again, if you need specifics let me know, and I'll be happy to provide 'em.

Rochndil, who actually got to PLAY DF last night for a bit, while testing his mod...
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 147