Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373795 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #945 on: February 24, 2009, 07:14:52 am »

It's in there, assuming you're actually running 40d9.

You didn't unpack it directly on top of a 40d install, did you?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:46 pm »

I did not, I unzipped to a new folder and imported my save.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 24, 2009, 01:05:55 pm »

Hello, I'm currently testing this on a 8x8 map, big mountains, chasm, etc etc...
I'm using the mayday tileset, and I have a slight problem. several "characters" are symbols now, which I guess is because the tileset uses icon replacements for some of the more odd letters. however in the "Original" tileset release this wasn't a problem, I changed the init settings for graphics to the same the normal 40d uses but it seems this version of DF utilizes more letters for names etc. is there any way to fix this or turn it off?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 24, 2009, 04:27:19 pm »

There is not. Tilesets work well enough with 40d9, but the standard packs often don't work quite right - png/bmp confusion, that sort of thing.

Don't worry, though, I'm sure someone'll release an easy-to-use pack once the next official release is out. :P

Flok:

Read that text file more thoroughly. It's in there.
I can see you have partial printing off, which is a bad idea in general; the 40d9 changes are mostly to make partial printing more reliable, so not using it is shooting yourself in the foot.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 24, 2009, 06:02:49 pm »

is it normal that the "drink" task takes more than a minute at times at 50 fps with this version?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 24, 2009, 06:17:43 pm »

I did not, I unzipped to a new folder and imported my save.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You may want to look a little harder.  ;)

(Bolded for your pleasure.)

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:21 pm »

okay i just clocked it, for me my dwarves take over 80 seconds to do the drink task, they actually all become thirsty by status before they move on again.

installed 40d9 normally, added mayday tileset via init etc, that's all i did.

cibbuano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://moviecritic.com.au
« Reply #952 on: February 25, 2009, 01:53:50 am »

Sorry for coming to the party late, but I've just installed D9, and I've had many of the same problems that other Ubuntu/Kubuntu users have had. I'm using Kubuntu 8.10, with an Intel GMA 965 and 1.5 GB RAM. That is, I'd get a blank screen with no output.

Like many people suggested, I installed the SDL libs, then turned off KWin - and it works!

Wonderful job porting it over... I love not having to use WINE!

quot;I need a SHELL!!" screams an insane Craftsdwarf.

"I''m too sleepy to go fishing," mutters a Fisherdwarf, "and all I''ve caught are these damn albino cave fish."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:46 am »

okay i just clocked it, for me my dwarves take over 80 seconds to do the drink task, they actually all become thirsty by status before they move on again.

installed 40d9 normally, added mayday tileset via init etc, that's all i did.

This sounds.. improbable.
But if true, it's a bug in DF, not the graphics layer. Yell at Toady.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 25, 2009, 03:51:03 am »

I'm going to try it again starting at a smaller area to see if it's a bug with my 40d9 installation or something. the performance is awesome so far, but having dwarfs drink for such a long time constantly slows things down in some other way :P

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 01, 2009, 08:07:18 am »

I've lately noticed something strange when using 40d9. My FPS seems to be somewhat low most of the time, but at times it shoots right back to near the cap and stays there. That is, I get either 50 FPS or 90-100 FPS from the exact same fort, jobs, view etc. This can't be just an error in the FPS display, as gameplay speed also changes significantly. I don't think it is related to any gameplay calculations (pathfinding) either, rather it seems to be things like restarting DF or moving the game window that change the FPS level. I have Vista and a Geforce video card. I'm not using partial print, since it seems to disagree with my system.

For this same fort, I get about 40 FPS with 40d.  So at first I thought 40d9 only gave me an extra 10 FPS. Then I realized that it is possible to coax almost 50 FPS more by patiently nudging the window long enough or restarting a few times?? I don't know what to make of this, just thought to share my experience. If this has been reported before, I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread :)

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:38 am »

I've got a bug where I can't tame a dragon now, not sure if 40d9 may be responsible :P
And yes, it didn't kill anyone. I've got a dungeon master, kennels, meat/fish. the task immediately disappears from the kennels after being given without any cancellation notice even with all of them turned on.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 01, 2009, 05:40:33 pm »

I've lately noticed something strange when using 40d9. My FPS seems to be somewhat low most of the time, but at times it shoots right back to near the cap and stays there. That is, I get either 50 FPS or 90-100 FPS from the exact same fort, jobs, view etc. This can't be just an error in the FPS display, as gameplay speed also changes significantly. I don't think it is related to any gameplay calculations (pathfinding) either, rather it seems to be things like restarting DF or moving the game window that change the FPS level. I have Vista and a Geforce video card. I'm not using partial print, since it seems to disagree with my system.

For this same fort, I get about 40 FPS with 40d.  So at first I thought 40d9 only gave me an extra 10 FPS. Then I realized that it is possible to coax almost 50 FPS more by patiently nudging the window long enough or restarting a few times?? I don't know what to make of this, just thought to share my experience. If this has been reported before, I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread :)

Once upon a time, there were issues where the frame timing got locked to a multiple of the graphical display rate, and such. Those bugs have all been fixed, I'm pretty sure, but there's one little problem left:

DF really doesn't like vsync. If you've forced it on in some control panel settings somewhere, don't.

Also, check the GFPS setting in init.txt. Lower is better, and it should under no circumstances be increased from the default of 50.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 02, 2009, 03:31:26 am »

not a massive increase in FPS, but it does go up 50 or so, which is still awesome.

EDIT: Ok, never mind that, there is one, REALLY annoying problem, apparently, DF likes to think I press "h" everytime I press the space bar...
I think it's a problem on my end because when i turn on caps it works fine, so it must be receiving it as an "H" w/ caps, really annoying!
EDIT (again): I restarted DF and it's gone, but it seems from what I've read most 40d9 bugs can be fixed by restarting, still annoying to restart every time I come across a bug though...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:42:09 am by Shad0wyone »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 02, 2009, 05:10:34 am »

Dare I say, windows is really starting to annoy me?

But sending space as H... that makes just no sense whatsoever. Are you *sure* that's what happened?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 147