Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373724 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »

I'm really not sure.

I don't have the time to spend on BC anymore, plus the remaining bugs all seem to be of the "doesn't happen on my system" or "only happens in DF" variety, but Toady does have a few patches that aren't in d9. You'll have to ask him.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »

The last thing Toady communicated to me was that he was able to integrate and test the input code I wrote for 40d10.  There were some compatibility issues, but they were resolved quickly.

Toady has lately been using the end of each month to work on other programming projects.  I believe he was already in this phase when I submitted what I wrote.  40d# stuff happened to get the end of the month last December, but with the majority of the improvements completed it likely didn't get as much of a priority.

It will come when it comes.  Just be patient.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 01, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »

Ah thank you. Well then i have to be more patient.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 02, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »

40d9 is a huge dice roll.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:12 pm »

At least 40d10 uses dice that people actually sell... It's hard to emulate a 9-sided die.

AtomicTesticle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 03, 2009, 02:41:29 am »

Im so confused on this opengl version. Everything goes slow as hell.
STD free since 1987

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 03, 2009, 10:22:27 am »

Is PARTIALPRINT on or off?
Which version is this? (40d9?)
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Moddington

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Silly Walks
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:38 am »

When I try to get the linux version to run using the terminal command sh df, I get the following error:
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image.1.2.so.0: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running Ubuntu 8.1, amd64, and I've tried installing a bunch of packages both through the synaptic package manager search and google results.  Nothing has worked so far, so help would be appreciated.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:58 am »

You need 32-bit versions of the libraries.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #879 on: February 04, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »

Spoiler: Init.txt (click to show/hide)

Text changes color when scrolling through a menu list or when a pop-up appears, but it changes back after a few moments... I added my graphics set, but it's turned off right now. I edited the raws, but that really shouldn't change rendering.

It has a pattern: First, it turns teal, then a shade darker than it should be, then goes to normal. When I scroll down a page, the screen turns black and then displays the next page.

The problem vanished when I disabled Frame Buffer. Single Buffer looked like a robot vomited:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:27:45 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 04, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »

Pfft... That looks NOTHING like robot vomit.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:24 pm »

When I try to get the linux version to run using the terminal command sh df, I get the following error:
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image.1.2.so.0: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running Ubuntu 8.1, amd64, and I've tried installing a bunch of packages both through the synaptic package manager search and google results.  Nothing has worked so far, so help would be appreciated.

You need to install libSDL-image1.2 -- I think it's in main, but I may be wrong in which case you'll need to enable the Universe repository (from System / Administration / Software Sources) to get it to show up in Synaptic.

Moddington

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Silly Walks
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 05, 2009, 12:51:34 am »

Well, I already had both universe enabled and the package installed, so I followed a new hunch I had.  I copied the library from /usr/lib/ to the DF libs folder, renamed it by cutting off the ending of '.1.5', and tried the sh df command again.  This time, it gave me an error saying that the ELF class was wrong (sheesh, them pesky elves show up everywhere, now don't they?), so I googled the error and eventually found my way to a download for the i386 version.  I had to open the .deb file with the archive manager, and dig around for the library file, but when I placed it in the DF lib like the 64 bit version, it worked!
Thanks for the help, Baughn and corvvs!

I posted this long explanation just in case someone else is having the same kind of problem, so they can try this method out.

Oh, and I've already got a small bug report, dunno if it's been noticed yet (probably has), but when the prompt for windowed mode comes up, it doesn't close after I press okay, even though DF still loads.  Then, DF has a tendency to flicker at times, as the prompt keeps trying to get above the DF window.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 05, 2009, 05:27:08 am »

Oh, and I've already got a small bug report, dunno if it's been noticed yet (probably has), but when the prompt for windowed mode comes up, it doesn't close after I press okay, even though DF still loads. 

Yeah. It's because we don't live up to some assumption GTK+ makes about how it gets used, as far as I can tell, so the message box isn't completely destroyed until you quit (hand-wavey way of saying 'beats me'). There is a workaround (in code) where you decrement a reference by hand, and it goes away. This is what I did initially, but it vomited warnings (because you shouldn't have to do this by hand). I went for 'incorrect code, but the dialog dissappears', but someone (Baughn, I think) decided that 'correct code, but the dialog hangs around' was preferable. *Shrug*. It doesn't mess with consectutive invokations of the message box, and is purely aesthetic.

This technical ramble was brought to you by 'I spent three weeks getting that damn message box to dissapear'.

Then, DF has a tendency to flicker at times, as the prompt keeps trying to get above the DF window.

Is that in fullscreen? Hmm. I'll try this out when I get a chance. I don't think I've noticed it, but I don't play in fullscreen that often.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:29 pm »

In the interests of SCIENCE, I just tried the windows download in the OP with the save from a succession game I'm playing in which is....moving with dignity rather than speed, shall we say. :)

I've played around with the init options mentioned in the OP but I still seem to get the same ~12-14FPS.

From what I've read of the thread (and I fear I've only read a fraction of the 60odd pages) it's a graphical "fix" rather than anything else but just to check, you don't need to generate a new world to see the benefits, do you?

If you do ignore me, if you don't then I guess Kulettogums dignity will remain intact.  ;)

The save is here, should it be of use: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=818
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 147