Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373707 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #825 on: January 22, 2009, 07:27:25 am »

Already had it, reinstalled it, no luck. Maybe it has something to do with gl.
Thanks anyway.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 22, 2009, 07:33:33 am »

Already had it, reinstalled it, no luck. Maybe it has something to do with gl.
Thanks anyway.

"Cannot open display" means the program doesn't find an X server running where it thinks it should... stupid question I guess, but are you running it on the same computer that your display is on? If you're SSHed into another box for purposes of sparing the CPU on your main desktop, you have to use 'ssh -X nameofcomputer' to forward the display.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:22 am »

nah I'm on the same computer, but you gave me an idea so I ran the script from the GUI, chose 'run in terminal' and it worked. I was trying to run it from a normal terminal before... but x was still running. Thanks for the help.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 22, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »

Weird bug with 40d9 on Windows 7, but it only happened once. I wanted to abandon a fort, but it seemed like it was repeating the key too fast to do it? It would usually not do anything when I pressed enter, but sometimes it would flicker the "press y to do it, anything else to abort" screen. Tried holding both keys, pressing them rapidly after each other, no luck.

But it worked fine today. No changes to init.txt at all. I don't think I've changed anything else about the system in between, although it was a smaller fort- 7 dwarves vs. 15ish (mostly insane) and some animals. And no running water on the smaller fort.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:36 pm »

Weird bug with 40d9 on Windows 7, but it only happened once. I wanted to abandon a fort, but it seemed like it was repeating the key too fast to do it?

I had something similar — and likewise, only once — with it always loading the game again the second it finished saving it, rather than letting me quit.  I assumed it was some sort of buffer buildup although a key repeat problem would have done it too, I guess.

Regardless, I think all the keyboard stuff is in the midst of a do-over.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:01 pm »

D9 runs great on my Mac Mini, nice to finally actually have an FPS count. Minor thing: df segfaults when I quit after saving, saves don't seem to be affected by this.

After some stuff about catalog sizes it prints:
df: line 4:  5322 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe

My computer:
OSX 10.5.6
Model: Macmini2,1, BootROM MM21.009A.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.83 GHz, 1 GB
Graphics: kHW_IntelGMA950Item, GMA 950, spdisplays_builtin, spdisplays_integrated_vram

init:
PP:YES:4 FB:YES SB:NO

Detailed problem report in spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:19 am »

That crash is believed to originate in the sound library.

It's harmless, but you could try turning sound off; that should fix it. If not, it's something else.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Greedish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 23, 2009, 04:16:26 am »

First of all, big thank you. Tripled my FPS on this slooow system. But, there is one problem. since I downloaded mayday as the full game and it is only 40d and not 40d9, I just copied the entire data folder from the (40d) mayday into the 40d9 folder. Bad idea? I mean, the game works, but the dwarves in the tileset are  only outlines with gray inside them, and some of the tiles reverted back to Curses. Help?

EDIT: I fixed it! I forgot to copy the raw\graphics folder. Stupid me! Thank you once more, this is AMAZING. My FPS skyrocketed. You're the best! :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:31:58 am by Greedish »

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 23, 2009, 05:20:53 pm »

I have sound turned off, though volume is set to 255. It is still harmless, however, as it only occurs when I quit df after saving.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2009, 06:00:33 pm »

First of all, big thank you. Tripled my FPS on this slooow system. But, there is one problem. since I downloaded mayday as the full game and it is only 40d and not 40d9, I just copied the entire data folder from the (40d) mayday into the 40d9 folder. Bad idea? I mean, the game works, but the dwarves in the tileset are  only outlines with gray inside them, and some of the tiles reverted back to Curses. Help?

EDIT: I fixed it! I forgot to copy the raw\graphics folder. Stupid me! Thank you once more, this is AMAZING. My FPS skyrocketed. You're the best! :)

Isn't the init file stored in \data? Because 40d# has more init options than regular 40d. Just something you might want to check out.

Also, make sure you copied whichever files define the creature symbols (I think it's just the creature files themselves) when you switch versions like that; Mayday's pack changes a lot of the symbols creatures use, in order to take advantage of formerly-unused characters. I think copying the data folder does the job fine, but you might wish to remember this in the future if you haven't thought of it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:08 am »

Dunno if it's my OS or DF9 related, DF switches into windowed mode seemingly randomly on occasion (maybe every 10mins), and the only way to get back to it is through the bottom (window switcher) panel. ie F11 won;t work. The game doesn't freeze, but my pc chokes (greys out) when it first switches. This is with the linux version.

Feldrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:08 pm »

Heya, just registered to euh...well, not to complain really, I'm hopelessly addicted to this wonderful game.

But I just wanted to mention that for me this updated SDL/OpenGL version doesn't seem to work. I've scouted the entire topic and my problem seems similar to QuinRiva's problem:

- executing causes 50% CPU usage (on a dual core machine) dwarffort.exe shows up in the process list, nothing else happens

Similar to him I haven't got an entirely normal Windows XP version but a slightly modded one. I don't quite know what is different but I've been happily using it for years without it ever bothering me. Needless to say, I don't doubt that the solution to the problem is therefore probably rather on my side of things than on the side of the creators. I'm not really requesting a fix for this, neither did I vote for 'doesn't work'. I'll probably get around to installing an entirely normal version of Windows XP (or, gods be with me, Vista). Just wanted to mention this since it seems something to remember for future reference when people mention the same problem. Chances are they've got a tweaked Windows version.

On a side note, a friend of mine who's been using a laptop has been getting vastly improved FPS with this version and is ever so happy since the non-improved version seemed to hardly go above 10FPS. Now he's steadily chucking away at a capped 100FPS. So keep up the great work :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 25, 2009, 02:05:02 pm »

I'd love to fix it, though.

Exactly how did you modify your windows version?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 25, 2009, 02:48:51 pm »

And have you toyed with all of the potential init settings or did you just download it, run it, have it fail, and assumed it was your OS?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Feldrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 25, 2009, 04:19:45 pm »

Long story short. Once I had chosen for a SATA drive but skipped on the floppy drive, I found out I was having some difficulties getting Windows XP installed at all, since the SATA drivers seem not to be included in Windows XP and by default seemed to depend on floppy, for which I didn't have a drive. Unluckily, I'm quite incompetent when it comes to modding and so forth and I didn't yet knew you could fix this problem with nLite. A friend had a heavily pre-modded version which already included SATA drivers. From which he also probably cut out lots of stuff with nLite since it also turned out to be incredibly fast.

So I don't quite know what is changed on this XP. I'll try to find out what precisely is different though. But I like my PC formatted once in a while anyway so next time I'll take the nLite route and my own XP version. Might take a while though since I'm awfully busy...euhm playing Dwarf Fortress writing final papers for university.

What I do know is that I don't have SP3 installed, I did get all the other updates from the microsoft site though. But my current university internet provider is feasibly the most incompetent bunch ever, requiring me to install log-in programs which after installing SP3 simply don't function anymore. Hopefully that'll change.

Now about the game and ini itself. I've tried some previous 40d-versions but those didn't work either. For my normal version I'm using a texture pack, but I first just tried the upgraded one vanilla. Which gave the problem listed above. So I ended up playing around a bit with [PARTIAL_PRINT], [FRAME_BUFFER] and [SINGLE_BUFFER] but to no avail. I also just blatantly copied the .ini from the normal version to the upgraded version but that didn't work either. Not that there was a lot of difference between them though.

Also, I've just noticed another similarity between me and QuinRiva. We've got quite similar graphic cards and are using the same driver, he's got a 8800GTS, I've got a 8800GT, both using 180.48 nvidia drivers. But I'd guess there's loads of people using these, shouldn't be the problem.

If there's anything I can do I'm willing to give it a shot. But don't go out of your way to fix this, I've just got a hunch that its my OS, I don't really trust the modded stuff. Once I've got my system running on my XP and the problem persists, I'll mention it.

Edit: Just to make sure, I've tried all the possible settings of those three ini settings I've mentioned above once more. I don't know whether there are any other useful options. I've also shut down my anti-vir. But the program seems to just take op 50% CPU, takes up 7.192-7.200kb in the task manager and that's it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:40:38 am by Feldrin »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 147