Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373687 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #810 on: January 18, 2009, 08:37:40 pm »

ok you guys have made me feel more stupid than noone ever managed to

how the hell do i use this thing? i readed both this topic (not completely but a decent portion) and the one that was obsolete and it still beats me........
Windows I assume?  Download the zip on the first page and run the Dwarf Fortress EXE...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:29 pm »

ok you guys have made me feel more stupid than noone ever managed to

how the hell do i use this thing? i readed both this topic (not completely but a decent portion) and the one that was obsolete and it still beats me........
Windows I assume?  Download the zip on the first page and run the Dwarf Fortress EXE...

ouch i missed that bit, i use a mac

using my intuition i pasted the weird codey thingie that says Df in my Df folder and then used it, i get this:

Last login: Sun Jan 18 23:13:30 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ usuario$ /Applications/hack\ DF/df ; exit;
/Applications/hack DF/df: line 4: ./dwarfort.exe: No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:01:32 pm by father_alexander »

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:46 pm »

Your intuition is good, but that's not going to work.  You're still in your home directory (the '~'), which is the wrong one.  If you read the result carefully, you see that it says " ./dwarfort.exe: No such file or directory," which means there's no dwarfort.exe file in the current directory ('.').  Which there isn't, because the current directory is your home directory, '~', not the dwarf fortress directory where both df and dwarfort.exe are.

• Open Terminal.
  • Type in 'cd /Applications/hack\ DF/df', or whatever the full pathname of where the version of dwarf fortress you're trying to run is.  This will set the current directory to that folder.
  • Type in "sh df" to launch the df script, which will in turn launch dwarfort.exe

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 19, 2009, 12:53:02 am »

Any combo of Partial Print causes my computer to throw up over itself.

If I had to guess what was happening, I'd say it was the screen not being able to refresh properly. For instance, if I try to create a new world, the screen will violently shift between the previous menu screen and the new world gen screen. It makes even the simplest of actions impossible.

Also, my FPS is capped at 85. But even with 3x3 plot and 7 Dwarves I see it dip to around 50-60 before going back up to the cap.

Stranger still, I tried an earlier version of this code (around v5 or so) on the same machine with a different OS, which happened to be Vista, and it ran perfectly

Now I'm on XP, and this happens...exactly the reverse of what USUALLY happens in these situations!

I suspect it's the GPU, given it's some generic intergrated laptop one from Intel. Still...it did work just fine under Vista and an earlier version.

Very strange

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:18 am »

Found new mouse code problem.

In 40d9, world painter(Design new world->e->p) no longer allows painting- you need to click each time you want to apply the brush, rather than being able to click and hold and draw like in 40d.

edit: This means you can no longer scroll the view on non-pocket worlds at all, as that requires right-click-and-drag.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:31:12 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:08 am »

In 40d9, world painter(Design new world->e->p) no longer allows painting- you need to click each time you want to apply the brush, rather than being able to click and hold and draw like in 40d.

edit: This means you can no longer scroll the view on non-pocket worlds at all, as that requires right-click-and-drag.

Right now my new keyboard code completely breaks the mouse.  It does some things towards a unified input system.  BC just didn't have any example of the mouse being used for me to make sure I was compatible with.  I will go back to the orginal BC sources and hoefully that will give me enough clues how DF uses it for me to create compatibility.  Thanks for the report.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:13 am »

Oh, something else- if you hit shift-A, and the game is busy enough that you release shift before A registers, it'll instead think you hit unshifted A.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 19, 2009, 02:51:37 pm »

Here is a more "correct" version of the "df" startup script for OSX so that it can find the paths for the files if you run it from Finder:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
PWD=`dirname "${0}"`
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs
cd "${PWD}"; ./dwarfort.exe

(This should work fine for Linux as well, although the addition pathing is not strictly necessary.)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »

Getting anywhere from 80-120 consistently, and it shoots right up to 1000 (my cap) on menus.

Reveal.exe doesn't work with the new version.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 20, 2009, 07:25:05 am »

Oh, something else- if you hit shift-A, and the game is busy enough that you release shift before A registers, it'll instead think you hit unshifted A.
It looks like the code I have for d10 will fix this.

I think I found the issue with this for d10 and properly fixed it.  My new input stuff looks like it will only break new binding ability for the mousewheel and tetiary buttons.  I will try to reenable those things after this code has been more completely tested.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »

uhmm while i managed to make it work now im having issues with running the graphic sets for some reason..... whats more weird is that before i had managed to make it work allright, but then i changed it to try another one, after that i still cant make any tileset work

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 22, 2009, 06:29:42 am »

Sorry to sound like an idiot but I just downloaded ubuntu 8.1 and can't get d9 working.
At first I was getting sdl errors when trying to run sh df so I installed some sdl stuff off synaptic. Now it says gtk-warning ** cannot open display.  I've looked through synaptic but I'm at a loss which gtk pkg to install, theres hundreds, and I've already tried a few. Any ideas?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 22, 2009, 06:31:24 am »

If you're running the 64 bit version, you're going to have to download the 32 bit compatibility libraries. I don't remember them specifically, but they're in the package manager.
!!&!!

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 22, 2009, 06:41:14 am »

I'm just running the 32bit version, but I have no idea about linux.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:09 am »

You should just need "libgtk2.0-0" if I remember right.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 147