Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373662 times)

Orange Drink

Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2009, 05:20:36 am »

i haven't noticed any improvement on speed at all, but i've noticed that movement has become cumbersome, not FPS wise, but when holding a movement key down and then using a menu of some sort (like designating), it moves one tile before stopping, and i have to depress and then hold the key down again. pretty minor, but gets annoying.

don't bother replying that it's been reported before, because A. i can't give a shit about 50-something pages and B. i'm leaving these forums for a while because everyone hates me.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 11, 2009, 06:27:04 am »

Well, 40d9 is now about twice as slow 40d on the same settings (PP:YES:2, FB:YES). (And just for reference, 40d7 was almost twice as fast.) This is on Windows XP with a nVidia 8800 card.

EDIT: Well, the same settings, except that 40d obviously doesn't support the frame buffer option.

Also, (and I've noticed this one since at least 40d7), the intro movie now looks rather strange to me. Here is a screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note the black lines between squares, and colored lines sticking out of the solid blocks.

Keep up the good work!

Well, yeah, 40d doesn't support the frame-buffer option.
So how does it look/act if you turn that off?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 11, 2009, 07:43:48 am »

Baughn, just a question. I don't know too much about these things, so please forget my ignorance.  :-X
So, how is that possible that only those people have better FPS, who have older systems? I have an e8400 @ 3.6Ghz based system, but I don't really notice any improvement.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 11, 2009, 08:10:42 am »

Because on newer systems, the GPUs are good enough that pumping out the old, sub-optimal GL code wasn't a problem time wise, whereas older system's GPUs struggled. Optimising the OpenGL stuff, then, has no significant effect for a modern, fast, GPU (visible to you or I, at least), but it does for the older, slower GPUs.

Macuyiko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 11, 2009, 09:54:21 am »

I've tried d8 on my Ubuntu laptop. It works fine, but I have to turn off Compiz (the desktop effects), which is a bit annoying. I'm using an integrated Intel 945M chipset, and I'm almost sure it's not a driver problem.

I've tried this will all sensible partial print-buffer combinations. The best I got was an initial drawing of the screen, but parts which needed to be redrawn (e.g., scrolling through the main menu) just turned that portion of the screen black.

If I disable desktop effects, everything works fine. Other SDL/OpenGL games work fine though. I will try again later today with d9 and will  post some screenshots.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 11, 2009, 09:56:09 am »

Ah thanks for the info bhelyer. :) Yeah, now I understand it.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:56 am »

I've tried d8 on my Ubuntu laptop. It works fine, but I have to turn off Compiz (the desktop effects), which is a bit annoying. I'm using an integrated Intel 945M chipset, and I'm almost sure it's not a driver problem.

I've tried this will all sensible partial print-buffer combinations. The best I got was an initial drawing of the screen, but parts which needed to be redrawn (e.g., scrolling through the main menu) just turned that portion of the screen black.

If I disable desktop effects, everything works fine. Other SDL/OpenGL games work fine though. I will try again later today with d9 and will  post some screenshots.

Yes, I've had several reports of this; screenshots would be nice.

Compiz doesn't seem to be very transparent; it makes assumptions about how applications work. I'd look up any documentation on how to deal with it, but I can't find any.

EDIT: Well, apparently it's a fundamental problem with Compiz and DRI1. There's no way to fix it, and if any opengl apps at all work for you, that's unusual in itself.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:30:32 am by Baughn »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:05 am »

Compiz doesn't seem to be very transparent; it makes assumptions about how applications work. I'd look up any documentation on how to deal with it, but I can't find any.

EDIT: Well, apparently it's a fundamental problem with Compiz and DRI1. There's no way to fix it, and if any opengl apps at all work for you, that's unusual in itself.
It's not just this game... There are several games that have a problem with Compiz.  There ARE some that don't though... So I don't know.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 11, 2009, 12:34:39 pm »

Yeah, I pretty much have to keep Compiz off on my system, as is causes flickering in any OpenGL application and in video players (except VLC rendering with X11 output).  I've read that video drivers that support DRI2 won't have this problem, but I'm not sure that any drivers have such support, yet.
Ostsol

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 11, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »

The program 'dwarfort.exe' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 15 error_code 1 request_code 143 minor_code 19)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
can anyone help me with this?
I think I installed xaw...

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 11, 2009, 03:00:10 pm »

Is the linux version "dwarfort.exe" or "Dwarf Fortress.exe"?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 11, 2009, 03:01:46 pm »

dwarfort.exe, though you run df, not the binary directly.

Jake: Could you provide the output of glxinfo, uname -a and full output from DF? Also, does glxgears work?

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 11, 2009, 03:28:52 pm »

This is correct - the only cards that overlay Compiz with other OpenGL apps in windowed mode correctly are the nVidia closed-source drivers, because they don't actually use the DRI1 subsystem.

Good news about your Intel card though - the Intel DRI2 drivers using GEM are already out in an alpha of the next version of xorg. Easiest way to get it if you're running Ubuntu is to upgrade to the Jaunty Jackalope alpha using "sudo update-manager -d"

Note: I am not an Ubuntu developer. This is a development release of Ubuntu, so be prepared to submit bug reports if and when something goes wrong. It is your holy duty as a knight of the Alpha. :)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:54 pm »

I did run ./df in the terminal either way something is screwed up on my computer

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 11, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »

Linux jaked-desktop 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
glxinfo
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  14
  Current serial number in output stream:  14
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 147