Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373632 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2009, 04:37:13 pm »

I just wanted to report that PNG tilesets with alpha transparency are working perfectly in d8. I checked both the creature and character sets. Bravo!
So this means we could potentially have optional overlays that produce an alpha-transparency effects? Such as light, magic, and other nifty options? If so that would be awesome.

Although I can't see any current use for it though. It would be neat in the future the edges of tiles take into consideration the surrounding tile color so it's not a sudden square of bright yellow sand, but a circle surrounded by grass/other tile color.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:41:58 pm by Thndr »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »

I just wanted to report that PNG tilesets with alpha transparency are working perfectly in d8. I checked both the creature and character sets. Bravo!
So this means we could potentially have optional overlays that produce an alpha-transparency effects? Such as light, magic, and other nifty options?
Not without help from Toady.

No, there's still only one tile per grid unit; the translucency just allows for a smooth transition between foreground color (tile pixel * DF-set foreground color) and df-set background color, as opposed to the all-or-nothing of 40d magenta.

Oh, and it'd allow you to actually show magenta. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »

So this means we could potentially have optional overlays that produce an alpha-transparency effects? Such as light, magic, and other nifty options?
Not without help from Toady.

No, there's still only one tile per grid unit; the translucency just allows for a smooth transition between foreground color (tile pixel * DF-set foreground color) and df-set background color, as opposed to the all-or-nothing of 40d magenta.

Oh, and it'd allow you to actually show magenta. :P
Yeah, of course Toady would have to code in another graphical layer over everything (if that's the way he chooses to go with graphical interpretation of light). But at least he has that option now

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 10, 2009, 04:55:53 pm »

Karlito, you might want to submit that save to Toady.

As far as he's concerned, there are no changes to core DF in 40dN; odd behaviour is bad enough, but if it's actually crashing, I know I for one would want to figure out why. Plus, the crash makes it fairly easy to pinpoint the cause.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »

Doing it any other way would require serious work in constructing a translation table.. work which, unfortunately, I don't have the time to do anymore.

You're welcome to submit a patch, though. :)
But didn't the old code(40d) handle it just fine? Creating a translation table seems like the wrong way to go about it; rather, why did you change the input code?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 10, 2009, 05:40:54 pm »

Okay, I'm having weird problems.

When I go up a few z-levels, it keeps going up and up and up. Like before, only worse. Because I can't go down. Everytime I hit the shift key, it acts as if I hit shift+comma. So when I try to go down, it keeps going up.

Also, I can't abandon a fort, and when I try to change my key bindings, it turns the key I change to 5 every time I hit k.

What keyboard layout are you using?
I have a suspicion about that...
Canadian/North American.

It was fine before 40d2.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 10, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »

Doing it any other way would require serious work in constructing a translation table.. work which, unfortunately, I don't have the time to do anymore.

You're welcome to submit a patch, though. :)
But didn't the old code(40d) handle it just fine? Creating a translation table seems like the wrong way to go about it; rather, why did you change the input code?

The original input code worked only on windows, and was somewhat horrific. I didn't particularily want to end up with different behaviour on different platforms.

As it is, you should be perfectly fine with rebinding keys; there are no risks involved there.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 10, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »

Testing Mac OSX on a Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

So far has run monumentally faster, and my now aging fort is quite chipper.  I haven't run into any bugs so far, though I'm having trouble adjusting.  I'll have to keep looking for bugs or problems, and figure out if I'm imagining things.

So far no actual problems.

tasteful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 10, 2009, 09:22:32 pm »

can someone very explicitly lay out how to do this terminal thing? running leopard.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:37:35 am by tasteful »

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

can someone very explicitly lay out how to do this terminal thing? running leopard.

you will find terminal most likely in the utilities folder in applications. Run it. From there change directories to whatever folder DF is in. For example: cd /applications/df_osx or wherever. Type sh df at the prompt and press enter. Away ye go young lad!

Terminal is the best btw.

tasteful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »

great, it's running. thanks man

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:01 am »

I should mention some debugging output I get on launch, just because it's contextual to Karlito's crash:
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 260x260
GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.

In my case, of course, there's a happy recovery and the launch continues.

I'd previously mentioned a last-minute bug when quitting:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CAException'
terminate called recursively
df: line 4: 15698 Abort trap              ./dwarfort.exe

As perhaps you suspected, given information gleaned from the callbacks listed in certain nameless sources — the usefulness of which I shall not comment upon — the program did exit cleanly with Sound:OFF.

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 11, 2009, 01:34:55 am »

Looks like you have a rather old video card, if it doesn't support non-power-of-two textures.
Ostsol

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 11, 2009, 02:04:19 am »

Looks like you have a rather old video card, if it doesn't support non-power-of-two textures.

A NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, as always the 17" G4 iMac of the time.  It wasn't especially impressive even in its own day, was my impression.

slaguth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 11, 2009, 03:53:41 am »

Well, 40d9 is now about twice as slow 40d on the same settings (PP:YES:2, FB:YES). (And just for reference, 40d7 was almost twice as fast.) This is on Windows XP with a nVidia 8800 card.

EDIT: Well, the same settings, except that 40d obviously doesn't support the frame buffer option.

Also, (and I've noticed this one since at least 40d7), the intro movie now looks rather strange to me. Here is a screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note the black lines between squares, and colored lines sticking out of the solid blocks.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:55:28 am by slaguth »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 147