Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373523 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

EDIT: Never mind.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:15:06 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »

So I solved my problems earlier and have a pretty minor problem. After I make a world, when it's saving the world it flashes between the "exporting this, saving that" thing and the world map. And when it goes to the title screen after that, it flashes between the title screen and the world map.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »

Regarding the minimizing and restoring I found this in the last BC source I downloaded. From enabler_SDL.cpp in function eventLoop (line 256),
Code: [Select]
      case SDL_ACTIVEEVENT:
if (event.active.state & SDL_APPACTIVE) {
  if (event.active.gain) {
    // FIXME: We must do a full screen refresh (not partial)
    // after being restored.
  } else {
    // TODO: Disable rendering when nobody would see it anyway
    // Or maybe pause?
  }
The original BC sources when to a Windows WaitMessage when it was minimized.

The appropiate else section for the above snippet would be to set the isVisible property of the enabler to false.  Then above at the SDLPollEvent you should check this property and call SDLWaitEvent when the window isn't visible.

Are the sources on the main page of this topic still kept up to date with changes?  I have been digging around in many of the various classes in the original BC source for some other things that can be optimized in the graphics area.  The original code is just a little easier on my eyes.  I checked a few things I had spotted since I last downloaded the modified BC, and they were still there.  However the last time I downloaded was before 40d2.

Edit: BTW, I threw all of my other coding projects off my desk.  It seems like this is the time to make this happen and we may never get a chance to do it again.  I will probably be digging for a while to produce a list of optomizations, but there are a lot of really small things that I spotted in various loop where I know all compilers will produce less then efficient code.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:20:34 pm by Veroule »
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »

Hello; I Dled it and am wondering how to translate my file over from Mayday's DFG16; my only modification was to replace the cat's [MOUTH] with a [CAT_MOUTH] so it could grasp stuff.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 07, 2009, 02:18:42 am »

So what's new in this one?

From release notes: "Pressing the close window button doesn't lock you in the options menu now."

40d8 intro movies still run at 250 FPS.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:21:37 am by Footkerchief »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 07, 2009, 03:52:14 am »

Regarding the minimizing and restoring I found this in the last BC source I downloaded. From enabler_SDL.cpp in function eventLoop (line 256),
Code: [Select]
      case SDL_ACTIVEEVENT:
if (event.active.state & SDL_APPACTIVE) {
  if (event.active.gain) {
    // FIXME: We must do a full screen refresh (not partial)
    // after being restored.
  } else {
    // TODO: Disable rendering when nobody would see it anyway
    // Or maybe pause?
  }
The original BC sources when to a Windows WaitMessage when it was minimized.

The appropiate else section for the above snippet would be to set the isVisible property of the enabler to false.  Then above at the SDLPollEvent you should check this property and call SDLWaitEvent when the window isn't visible.

Are the sources on the main page of this topic still kept up to date with changes?  I have been digging around in many of the various classes in the original BC source for some other things that can be optimized in the graphics area.  The original code is just a little easier on my eyes.  I checked a few things I had spotted since I last downloaded the modified BC, and they were still there.  However the last time I downloaded was before 40d2.

Edit: BTW, I threw all of my other coding projects off my desk.  It seems like this is the time to make this happen and we may never get a chance to do it again.  I will probably be digging for a while to produce a list of optomizations, but there are a lot of really small things that I spotted in various loop where I know all compilers will produce less then efficient code.
An excellent idea; I have less than complete knowledge of how well gcc optimizes, so some help would be appreciated.

However, that code is quite old. You'll want to use git://brage.info/bc.git instead. Alternately, send me an SSH public key and I'll give you commit access.

I never spotted the isVisible property, and it still isn't in use, but I think I'll wait for a patch from you on that.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 07, 2009, 03:54:56 am »

So I solved my problems earlier and have a pretty minor problem. After I make a world, when it's saving the world it flashes between the "exporting this, saving that" thing and the world map. And when it goes to the title screen after that, it flashes between the title screen and the world map.
Sounds like your partial-printing reprint count is still insufficient.
This sort of thing is why the other two options are there.. pure partial-printing is just a pain. :/

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:46 am »

Lazy bug reporting : I saw that one of the releases was supposed to bring better keyboard support for linux. It doesn't work at all for my laptop french keyboard. 30% of the keys are not even "pressable" in DF. And i'm talking keys like the upper numbers, not some exotic keys.

Have fun debugging this :p

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:14 am »

I get some extremly annoying flickering window in Ubuntu. I didn't get it at first but after changing the tilesets to mike mayday (basicly by switching the art file and renaming the files .png aswell as changing their names in the mike mayday init folder.

Quite rough as a transfer surely.

I'm too new to linux to really know where I went wrong.

"Renaming the files .png" <-- That's what.
You shouldn't call them .png unless they actually are PNG files; it'll fail to load them, producing all sorts of odd effects. (Unfortunately, while there's a 404-not-found check in there, it doesn't crash out if it just finds an empty tileset.)

BMP files should be called .bmp. They load fine.

Actually that works just fine. The problem was due to the mouse (removing mouse support helped), and having the for some bizarre reason using some particular webpages on the same time as df. this forum works fine, but opening a tab with rapidshare causes the thing to go bonkers. generally I do not have any problems at all when only running df. my fps is a bit low but that might be becasue of the few hundred antmen, rat men, dark gnomes, troglodytes, horses, trolls and spiders runnig around on my map. I still get an fps of around 40 though so it might improve al lot once i get a military to kill them all.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:28 am »

In general, renaming files from .bmp to .png might work and might not. For it to work, the program has to correctly recognize the files as bmp files, since they still are bmp files. Many programs do not, assuming that they are png files, since they have a .png extension. This causes wonky stuff to happen. In general,

DO NOT SURGICALLY ALTER IMAGE FILE ENDINGS. THIS WILL (usually) CAUSE BAD THINGS TO HAPPEN. OK?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:29:34 am by Savok »
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:25 am »

Lazy bug reporting : I saw that one of the releases was supposed to bring better keyboard support for linux. It doesn't work at all for my laptop french keyboard. 30% of the keys are not even "pressable" in DF. And i'm talking keys like the upper numbers, not some exotic keys.

Have fun debugging this :p
Nah, I know exactly what the reason is, and I'll fix it too.  Patch sent. :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #658 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:51 am »

I should be getting my Mac update in a few hours, so we can crack open a whole new universe of fun if that works out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 07, 2009, 01:59:26 pm »

In general, renaming files from .bmp to .png might work and might not. For it to work, the program has to correctly recognize the files as bmp files, since they still are bmp files. Many programs do not, assuming that they are png files, since they have a .png extension. This causes wonky stuff to happen. In general,

DO NOT SURGICALLY ALTER IMAGE FILE ENDINGS. THIS WILL (usually) CAUSE BAD THINGS TO HAPPEN. OK?
Moreover, the documentation for SDL_image specifies that it picks the right decoder based solely on filename ending. There may be code to handle mismatches, but if it was very reliable I'd expect it to be documented.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 147