Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373522 times)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #630 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:11 pm »

Weirdly enough I disabled compiz and it's working fine.

Not weird at all. Compiz breaks ANYTHING OpenGL related on my system. And some stuff that isn't.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »

There's no particular reason the output code should be running when you can't see the output anyway, or for that matter when the game's paused and you're not giving it input.

Unfortunately, most of that output code is in parts of DF I don't have access to, so there's nothing I can do about it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »

well, yeah, the output code- I meant the game parts.

Though, minimizing/restoring with[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0]
[FRAME_BUFFER:NO]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES] makes it think it doesn't need to redraw anything, which is annoying- ha'e to enter some menu or other to get things 'isible again.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 06, 2009, 01:45:23 am »

Yeah, pausing the game's FSM or whatever the programmer is using to update the game world and running a simple Windows message pump with appropriate sleep()s on lost focus is, I thought, standard operating procedure.

Haven't had a chance to try any of the new output builds, but I look forward to breaking your code on my Intel 945GM using hacked drivers. =D

(Did the new forum result in having to re-register?)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #634 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:32 am »

(Did the new forum result in having to re-register?)

Not normally, no:
Known issues:

(*) You must log-in using your Displayed name now.  The converter could only take one, so the separate user login name was dropped.  A few people were deleted because their displayed name had symbols that aren't used in this board.  Just let me know if that's you and I can put you back in the system.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Phantasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2009, 09:26:07 am »

With my laptop, 2 gb Ram and crappy intel onboard graphics card, d7 seems to be a huge improvement in FPS.

Btw, did I fuck up something with the tileset, or did the color brown got replaced by some yellowish color? ??? My barrels and woodlogs are yellow...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:30:15 am by Phantasma »

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 06, 2009, 09:36:07 am »

Try downloading Mike Mayday's tileset and looking at the included INIT.TXT file.  At the bottom there are color definitions that make the brown more pleasantly brown and bring out the brighter colors.  My only quarrel with Mayday's colors is if you happen to stumble on a yellow sand layer - it's blinding!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 06, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

There is one change in color handling on graphical tilesets, actually.

When DF applies its own colors on top of a tile, it does so by first grayscaling the tile. (This is actually done at startup.. regardless...) In 40d and before, this grayscaling was done by multiplying the color values (R, G and B) by 0.33 and then adding them. This, unfortunately, did not preserve luminance correctly..

As a fix, in 40d2 and above, the color components are weighted differently, preserving luminance but possibly producing odd effects in old tilesets. You may be seeing this.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 06, 2009, 10:36:39 am »

I get some extremly annoying flickering window in Ubuntu. I didn't get it at first but after changing the tilesets to mike mayday (basicly by switching the art file and renaming the files .png aswell as changing their names in the mike mayday init folder.

Quite rough as a transfer surely.

I'm too new to linux to really know where I went wrong.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:51 am »

for 40d7, I have to use PARTIAL PRINT or I get flickering.
And when a tooltip or something of that nature overlaps DF, DF re-overlaps the tooltip and displays all tiles as dots/same tile.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:38 am »

With my laptop, 2 gb Ram and crappy intel onboard graphics card, d7 seems to be a huge improvement in FPS.

Btw, did I fuck up something with the tileset, or did the color brown got replaced by some yellowish color? ??? My barrels and woodlogs are yellow...
DF's brown IS dark yellow and looks like a sickly yellow color unless you've optimized colors on a good monitor.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »

In 40d7 full screen mode the frames per second are no longer limited by my display's refresh rate, but using any setting with [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] always causes flickering. For most the flicker is parts of old frames and for SINGLE_BUFFER:YES it's part of the screen becoming blank for a short time.

In windowed mode PARTIAL_PRINT doesn't work without problems either: Sometimes, but not always it causes the type of flickering showing parts old frames. Using SINGLE_BUFFER makes the game display garbage as before.

In 40d6 there was no flickering when using PARTIAL_PRINT and if I set the FPS cap higher in 40d7 the flickering gets worse. A similar flickering problem was also present in the original 40d version.
Not using PARTIAL_PRINT works without problems in both windowed and full screen mode.

Phantasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »

DF's brown IS dark yellow and looks like a sickly yellow color unless you've optimized colors on a good monitor.

I was already used to the mayday tileset, now I changed the settings in the init and the colors are correctly brown again.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2009, 01:30:09 pm »

I get some extremly annoying flickering window in Ubuntu. I didn't get it at first but after changing the tilesets to mike mayday (basicly by switching the art file and renaming the files .png aswell as changing their names in the mike mayday init folder.

Quite rough as a transfer surely.

I'm too new to linux to really know where I went wrong.

"Renaming the files .png" <-- That's what.
You shouldn't call them .png unless they actually are PNG files; it'll fail to load them, producing all sorts of odd effects. (Unfortunately, while there's a 404-not-found check in there, it doesn't crash out if it just finds an empty tileset.)

BMP files should be called .bmp. They load fine.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »

Bug/Error:

Not quite sure if I should make a new thread, or post this here, but here goes.

All of my autohotkey scripts are broken in 40d7. I did some testing, and it looks like sending {SHIFTDOWN/UP} and {ENTER} is broken. Sending normal key presses like the arrow keys seems to work ok, however.

I don't know if any of the previous 40d# versions have the same problem, but now that I've posted this, I give a few of them a try and see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 147