Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373356 times)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2008, 10:26:06 pm »

I'm getting unreproducable segfaults, usually when pressing a button, but nothing specific. I'll take a look at the input code, but it might be difficult when coding blind. Any reports of reproducing it would be appreciated. I guess I'll try and trigger it with BC, but it happens fairly rarely so it could take a while.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just left DF sitting there and it crashed all on its lonesome. I'll leave BC running in gdb and go from there. Hopefully it lies in the BC code somewhere. Maybe not, but I very well can't not try, now can I?

Savok: 'an nVidia'. It goes by sound, not letter. So 'an hour', 'an Xbox', and so on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:05:50 pm by bhelyer »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:43 pm »

I get a flickering dashed line on the very bottom line of the screen

I checked this in .40d5.  In addition to the other necessary triggers, it now only happens if PARTIAL_PRINT is set to NO:(anything).  If it is set to YES:(anything), things look normal.  So I am happy, and I thank you.

Unrelated key issues: I am seeing stuck keys when changing focus between DF and other programs.

In particular, a simple Alt-Tab, Alt-Tab sequence usually results in having the Alt key stuck down in DF so nothing works until I tap the Alt key to unstick it.

Strangely, though, Alt-Tab away from DF, then mouse-select the window again, seems to work properly, and mouse-select a different window followed by Alt-Tab to DF also seems to work properly.

Moreover, I've not yet seen any bad behavior caused by task-switching to or from a fullscreen DF.  I'm puzzled.

arcane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:05 pm »

Wow! 40d5 is much faster than 40d.  Almost uncomfortably fast.  Have not had any problems yet, but I just started, too tired to continue.  I'm going to dive into the settings and engage the frame limiter, then go to bed.

Keep up the good work.

PS BC_win32 is crashtastic.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2008, 05:09:26 am »

Yes; pretty much anything from the 5000 series and up can handle it. ATI got the extension a little later.
So would my "awful, outdated card," an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, work with partial printing?

Dunno. Does it support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object?
You can check with http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2008, 05:10:02 am »

It's probably a safe better anything integrated is out of luck, then?
No, some of the newer ones do support it. You can check with glview - see the above post.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 31, 2008, 05:51:40 am »

os: Ubuntu 8.10 64bit - gnome (compiz is install but off)
df: 40d5 - partial print is on at 2 - 80 x 40 windowed grid (16x16 tiles)

I install ia32 and used getlibs to install sdl-image for it too run, these should all be 32bit libraries.

The game starts and runs fine, and like the fact it loads pngs for tilesets now. The only problem I've seen so far is that exiting the game resets x-windows, this only seems to happen if I play for 10 or so minutes, less than that it just exits cleanly.

Could be a problem with my os though, not really sure where to look to find out. Good work on the linux port :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 31, 2008, 05:58:27 am »

If it crashes X, that's *definitely* a problem outside DF, most likely in your gpu drivers. I'd have a look at updating those if I were you. ;)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 31, 2008, 06:04:53 am »

If it crashes X, that's *definitely* a problem outside DF, most likely in your gpu drivers. I'd have a look at updating those if I were you. ;)

Figures :) well in that case everything works fine and runs faster than when it was under wine.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:19 am »

Yes; pretty much anything from the 5000 series and up can handle it. ATI got the extension a little later.
So would my "awful, outdated card," an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, work with partial printing?

Dunno. Does it support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object?
You can check with http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

A check of the database says "yes, but you may need to update your drivers". Just FYI.

QuinRiva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 31, 2008, 09:34:42 am »

Anyone had luck getting the Windows Version to work?

Opteron 165, 8800GTS G92, Windows XP SP3.

I managed to get the linux version to work on my Linux box (although listing the specific apt-get commands would have made it significantly easier for those of us who are less knowledgeable in Linux).

Basically I extract the df_28_181_40d5_win and run "Dwarf Fortress.exe" and my CPU useage goes up to 50% (dual core) and nothing else happens.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:49 am »

Works for me, on exactly the same setup, but I get the same symptoms if partial printing is on - turn it off. There's a fix for that in d6.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 31, 2008, 11:13:58 am »

By the way, according to Toady's tests: Although the 5000-series geforce cards do *support* framebuffers, using them will slow things down horribly.

With any luck there'll be a configuration option for this.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 31, 2008, 12:14:26 pm »

Problem with me testing this right now is, unless I have WoW running in the background on completely maxed out settings (which still runs at a smooth 60FPS but..) my fort doesn't have enough dwarves to get me off my 500 FPS cap anyway.
Once I start seeing some slowdowns without major programs running besides DF, I'll give this a shot, see what kind of improvements I get.
(<3 my E8600; dual-core 3.33GHz)
I'm running an 8800GT, which is notorious for being somewhat lacking by way of OpenGL.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:16:09 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:25 pm »

I'm getting the odd one graphics update per second bug.  My fps cap is set really high just to see how I can run at with my usual 10 gfps limit.  Should I up the gfps?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2008, 01:45:21 pm »

At the moment, that's your best bet. It won't do as many updates as you ask it to, so there's no actual downside to that, and it might make things playable.

It should be fixed in d6, at any rate.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 147