Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373222 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #270 on: December 26, 2008, 01:19:24 pm »

You probably shouldn't install packages to fix nonexistent problems. That aside, ah..

What gpu do you use?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 26, 2008, 01:21:37 pm »

I get ~40fps in a fairly new 8x8 region with the older version, ~1fps with DFaccelerator, and ~2FPS with this "faster" version. This is on a Windows XP SP3 machine with a 2004 version of NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 26, 2008, 01:37:45 pm »

I get ~40fps in a fairly new 8x8 region with the older version, ~1fps with DFaccelerator, and ~2FPS with this "faster" version. This is on a Windows XP SP3 machine with a 2004 version of NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

First, update to the newest drivers you can get. That probably won't help.

Then, since the problem persists in DFA, and I've got more control over that thing, grab the debug exe I posted in said thread and post its output.

Whatever you do, don't ignore it. The FX5200 is, frankly, an awful, outdated card, and there are good odds you'll be stuck on 40d forever if we don't fix this. So let's spend some time doing so. :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 26, 2008, 01:39:39 pm »

(Even awful, outdated cards should work - the load is really low - but if your FX5200 drivers only actually support array drawing in software, like what you get sounds like, then...)

I don't know. Bonfire sounds good.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 26, 2008, 01:45:07 pm »

Oh, and I should be able to robustify this code some more. Give me half an hour, and I'll post a new BC version to test..

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 26, 2008, 01:53:01 pm »

You probably shouldn't install packages to fix nonexistent problems. That aside, ah..

What gpu do you use?
Ah, should've been clearer: I installed the package to fix the very existent (and already observed) problems that fixes. This done I then had to get it to recognize the tileset which had somehow ended up in the wrong file type. It then worked fine for a bit and (now) has decided to barely work at all.
As to the GPU... I'm embarassingly unable to check. I'm running an eMachine Windows box and I think it's probably an Intel GPU, aside from that I don't know where to look.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 26, 2008, 02:21:20 pm »

I'm running DF 40d2, and not really seeing any difference in FPS later in the game. I'm still at around 30FPS there. Early game I seem to hit my FPS cap of 200 pretty regularly, and still getting over 100 with around 30 dwarves or so.

Settings:
Code: [Select]
This lets you set the starting windowed/fullscreen setting.  Can be YES, NO or PROMPT.

[WINDOWED:PROMPT]

This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:800]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:curses_800x600.png]

Full screen info.

[FULLSCREENX:800]
[FULLSCREENY:600]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png]

If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space.  Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:NO]

Graphics info, most of it as above.  Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on.  This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information.  Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded.  The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate.  As of July 2008, the Dwarf Fortress Wiki has graphical tilesets available at http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets.

[GRAPHICS:NO]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

This is the dimensions in tiles of the display grid.  Minimum x is 80.  Minimum y is 25.  Maximums are 200.  Make sure the window size or full screen resolution matches the grid/tile size if you don't want the display to be squashed or stretched.  The default windowed font has tiles that are 8x12 pixels, for instance, so for a 80x25 grid, you use a 640x300 window, and for a 125x50 grid, you'd use a 1000x600 window.  FULLGRID is used in full screen mode, whether graphics is on or not.

[GRID:80:25]
[FULLGRID:80:25]

Change this to YES to only refresh portions of the screen that need to be refreshed.  This can have a significant impact on frame rate, especially for people that have slow frame rates on the title screen.  The number refers to how many frames it will redo a printed tile before skipping it, so you might try increasing it a bit.  PARTIAL_PRINT only works on certain systems, so you might have to disable it again if you notice your display isn't working properly.  Fixes are being investigated.

[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:0]

Change this to YES if you want to see an FPS counter at the top left.

[FPS:YES]

Use this to set the maximum frame rate during play.  The movies are always capped at 100.  A frame in this case is not graphical but related to the movement speed of a creature.  A healthy, unencumbered dwarven peasant takes one step every 10 frames.

[FPS_CAP:200]

Use this to set the maximum graphical frame refresh rate during play.

[G_FPS_CAP:50]

Partial Print ON/OFF seems to have a negligible effect.

Comp specs:
Windows XP
Lenovo Laptop
Intel Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
2 Gig ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 02:28:23 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 26, 2008, 02:23:31 pm »

So I started looking into this, and it turns out that (a) partial-printing is broken (no wonder it doesn't help!), and (b) so is the FX5200; it has an incredibly slow path for non-indexed arrays.

I'm going to have to fix partial-printing - actually, I'm going to rewrite that entire part of the output code, getting a bit extra performance - but for now, download http://brage.info/~svein/bc_win32.rar and see if that version works. It's bc.exe again, by the way.

EDIT: Specifically, partial-printing is broken on linux. It seems to work fine on windows. I'm still fixing it.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 26, 2008, 02:26:31 pm »

I should probably point this out:

Using indexed arrays makes extra work for the driver. Quite a bit of extra work, when partial-printing is off.

It may be a workaround for a bad driver, but it's not a *good* one.

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 26, 2008, 04:17:02 pm »

did a quick search and didn't find anything, is there going to be support for [TEXTURE_PARAM:LINEAR] ?

I haven't played in a long long time, but this got me to dust off my DF micro and reinstall... and I've always used that option to make the graphics nicer looking for myself.  The newest DF build looks the same with LINEAR or NEAREST set.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 26, 2008, 04:28:06 pm »

I've been trying to make that work, but.. no, probably not. It doesn't mesh well with using a texture catalog (an absolute requirement), as you get bleed from adjacent tiles, and some mix-ups between background and foreground colors.

On the other hand, the game now supports translucent tilesets as well as mere transparent ones (eg. it allows a real 8-bit alpha channel in the PNGs), which should allow some prettier tilesets for your viewing pleasure; also, linear blending only matters if you're squeezing or expanding your tileset, in which case you really should be using a different tileset. You can resize it in any image editor, so long as you make sure the resulting tilesets's dimensions are still congruent to 16.

EDIT: Rather, so long as you make sure that all the tiles are the same size; eg. you can resize a 16x16 tileset to a 15x15 one, or 7x7, but not 7.5x7.5. Which is the same thing as the dimensions being congruent to 16, so long as the tilesets are 16x16. The graphics sets aren't.

As an extra reason to do this: Image editors normally support much better resizing algorithms than linear blending. Cubic, bicubic, lanczos, etc.

EDIT 2: Translucency matters, for this to work properly. Let's say you use gimp.. you'll want to do something like this:
- Open tileset in gimp
- Add an alpha channel to the tileset/layer
- Select by color, set fudge factor to 0; click on some magenta.
- Edit->cut. You should end up with a partially transparent image - looks like a checkerboard pattern.
- Resize. Borders will end up appropriately translucent.
- Save as PNG, use that PNG for a tileset
- Marvel.

EDIT 3: The best resizing algorithm in GIMP is lanczos, and it's very good. Make sure you select that.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:34:55 pm by Baughn »

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »

So, I updated my driver to the 5/16/2008 version, and 40d2 works at lightning speed. Hallelujah!

However, DFaccelerator is still cryonically sluggish, so I thought I should post the data from the debugger:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I started in windowed mode, went to fullscreen, and then went back to windowed, since I use different tilesets (but the same grid size) in both.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 26, 2008, 06:05:20 pm »

Nothing obvious there. All I can think of is that perhaps the texture catalog size is too much for your card, since I improved the algorithm for 40d2.. does your speed drop a lot if you add graphical textures to 40d2?

Tycho451

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 26, 2008, 06:23:50 pm »

Download the Battle Champs release for linux. If you already did, do it again; I've added debugging code.

Install gdb. "sudo apt-get install gdb"
Run BC in gdb, like this:
cd /wherever/you/unpacked/bc
export SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1 # Work around for bug in Debian/Ubuntu SDL patch.
export SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1 # Centre the screen.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"./libs" # Update library search path.
gdb bc.exe
run

If it still crashes, you should get a backtrace. Post that.
Thanks for the reply!

It still crashes, here is the backtrace:
GNU gdb 6.8-debian                                                                                               
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.                                                                 
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>                                     
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.                                               
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"                                       
and "show warranty" for details.                                                                                 
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...                                                                   
(gdb) run                                                                                                         
Starting program: ~/Spiele/bc_linux/bc.exe                                                             
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: versions of libpthread and libthread_db do not match         
[repeated 30-50 times]
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: versions of libpthread and libthread_db do not match

(bc.exe:16644): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance with invalid (NULL) class pointer

(bc.exe:16644): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_destroy: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb7abb52d in g_datalist_id_set_data_full () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 26, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »

Hm, I knew that problem would bite *someone* eventually. Bhelyer's code, but I'll take a look.

Meanwhile, since the crash is in gtk/glib.. a likely workaround is to avoid having any dialog boxes pop up, by setting the windows/fullscreen mode explicitly in init.txt

EDIT: Also, the "pthread_db/pthread versions do not match" errors are very suspicious. Exactly what system are you running?

You might just need to upgrade.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 147