Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373157 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:29 pm »

Correct, but there are a few issues with the build.. mostly, because I'm cross-compiling it. I'm on a 64-bit linux system, which means compiling 32-bit applications is iffy.

Let's see.. try installing darcs, run darcs get --partial http://brage.info/~repo_df/ bc; cd bc; sh build.linux, and try using the resulting tarball. If it still doesn't work, that would be more of a problem.

Toady is on a 32-bit system, as far as I know, so he won't have the same issues.

I'd also look at that shm_open problem if I were you. If you run mount, you should have a line like
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
somewhere. Furthermore, ls -ld /dev/shm, should report
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 2008-12-21 00:26 /dev/shm

If it doesn't - particularily if the latter fails - then your system is either outdated or simply broken. :/
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »

[WINDOWED:NO] flicks to fullscreen black for a second and then switches to windowed mode with fullscreen resolution!!

I can't reproduce this. What's your setup like?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2008, 10:03:40 pm »

Make sure to check /etc/fstab; if /dev/shm is mounted there, make sure it isn't read-only. It should be rw, not ro.  ::)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2008, 11:57:09 pm »

For some reason I am unable to embark.

My embark key says it has changed to CTRL+F10 but when I hit those keys the note menu shows up? E won't work either...

8800GT
E6750 C2D
I forget the motherboard specs but I'll get them for you later.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2008, 12:31:08 am »

Correct, but there are a few issues with the build.. mostly, because I'm cross-compiling it. I'm on a 64-bit linux system, which means compiling 32-bit applications is iffy.

Let's see.. try installing darcs, run darcs get --partial http://brage.info/~repo_df/ bc; cd bc; sh build.linux, and try using the resulting tarball. If it still doesn't work, that would be more of a problem.

Ah, the joys of compiling. Out of curiousity, why not use some kind of Virtualization package to run a 32 bit version of an OS? :) That seems to me to be one of the best things about virtualization - compiling things on systems you don't actually have.

I am all thumbs at compiling and make files and that sort of thing. I get the following. Is there a package I'm missing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd also look at that shm_open problem if I were you. If you run mount, you should have a line like
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
somewhere. Furthermore, ls -ld /dev/shm, should report
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 2008-12-21 00:26 /dev/shm

If it doesn't - particularily if the latter fails - then your system is either outdated or simply broken. :/

Is it just that it has the wrong name there? This is a default build of Ubuntu - I haven't mucked around all that much with things yet, AFAIK. Except for perhaps the monitor configuration in xorg.conf.

Honestly, I'm probably an outlier when it comes to configuration - I'm using the nVidia proprietary drivers on a dual-monitor system. I had to hand-craft xorg.conf to get them working properly with Xinerama turned off and Twinview turned on.

And as long as I can run it on linux in Windowed mode, I'll be happy. Don't care so much about Graphics or Fullscreen, as long as I can get linux native support. :D

Sincerely,
savanik

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2008, 12:46:55 am »

I tested this out on my Macbook Pro running XP SP3 and it never moved below the cap I set the FPS to.

IT WAS OVER 9000!(sorry)

So this is pretty sweet. I generally play the Mac version though so I'll have some "real world" results later. I had partial print on and didn't notice anything when the armies eradicated each other in half a second. Is there anything specific I should be trying to test on this? I can see that it's fast but I don't know what I'm checking for.

I think some suggested settings/tileset choices would be good and what to change in the init file. That would make it easier to get people to try different setups. Also FPS_CAP = 0 should mean no cap as opposed to needing to alt-ctrl-del out of the program, would make things easier.

Edit: Same insane FPS in Mac OSX 10.5 but I seem to have lost sound in the game. Didn't notice any difference with partial print on or off.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:03:11 am by furrot »

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2008, 04:11:52 am »

Just what exactly is this game? Who made it? :-\

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:16 am »

Toady One

So the graphical code for DF can be published.

He didn't want DF to be Open Source [yet]

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2008, 04:45:00 am »

Just posting to say this works great. FPS was continuously over 9000, though I didn't play the game for very long.

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1,80 GHz
1Gb DDR2-667
XpertVision 8500GT Sonic 256Mb GDDR3
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2008, 05:26:19 am »

I am all thumbs at compiling and make files and that sort of thing. I get the following. Is there a package I'm missing?

Yes, gtk+-2.0.  8)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:40 am »

Incidentally, the OS X version is.. rather old.

I don't normally run OS X, and nobody has ever reported problems with it, so there you go. I'm getting back to it today to add PPC support before the 40d-2 release.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2008, 06:50:13 am »

Now updated. Test, please?

It should work on PPC as well now.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2008, 07:22:00 am »

I noticed the line "Sleep(1)" in enabler_sdl.cpp, enablerst::do_frame is commented out.  Based on the previous discussion regarding how sleep actually works in Windows this part of the reason the speed is increased.

Reading the Windows API regarding Sleep we see this about its ms parameter, "A value of zero causes the thread to relinquish the remainder of its time slice to any other thread of equal priority that is ready to run. If there are no other threads of equal priority ready to run, the function returns immediately, and the thread continues execution."

The correct line should be "Sleep(0)".  This lets it run at full speed, but under heavy load from another process it will yield sooner.  Using that line the same maximum speed was achieved, and another process that demanded full power was able to get a little bit more.  This would also be automatically controllable by users since they can set the programs priority.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2008, 07:23:44 am »

Actually, Toady decided to put it back in.
That line's a very small part of the speed increase, and matters less as the game slows down, as it'll end up never sleeping anyway, so it seemed like a good idea not to burn laptop users' laps off right away.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2008, 07:46:08 am »

I have srious doubts that DF will ever be Open source, Toady has been dead set against it forever wich has been well documented/discussed in other threads.  However I beleive if this goes well he may be willing to release snippets of code here and their for optimization or what have you through small projects like these.  All in all I think it is an excellent idea to let some members of the community who are skilled in such things as wich required to make a game like this participate in the development and advancement in DF.

Semi finished optimized code delivered right to Toady one for insertion in our lovely little game.  Lets cross our fingers and see how this goes.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 147