Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373128 times)

catfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

It doesn't seem to work on windows 98. "\BATTLE CHAMPS:EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version."

I realise this probably is a ridiculously small group of people consisting of me and perhaps one other guy, but is it a huge problem to make it work?
Otherwise this will actually be the first game that I want to play that will require me to upgrade the OS..

EDIT: People always give me the stink-eye when I tell them I still use win98, "It's unstable, it crashes, it's annoying", and in general I absolutely agree, but in my specific case, on this computer, with this configuration, it has been rock solid for years and years. I haven't changed a thing, and ideally I won't untill I'm forced.
That constant upgrade cycle is really tedious.
Anyways I've tried dual booting Linux before and will probably do so to run DF, thanks for your work.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:04:45 pm by catfry »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:26 pm »

Hm.

My feeling is... no, it won't work. It uses a lot more libraries now; even if DF itself has no dependencies on XP, chances are one of the libraries does.

You could upgrade to linux instead, though. There's a linux version of DF too now, and it's a lot less likely to annoy you. :D
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2008, 02:02:37 pm »

It doesn't seem to work on windows 98. "\BATTLE CHAMPS:EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version."

I realise this probably is a ridiculously small group of people consisting of me and perhaps one other guy, but is it a huge problem to make it work?
Otherwise this will actually be the first game that I want to play that will require me to upgrade the OS..

If its only filespecific, you could try 'hacking' it with MS Orca. You could delete checks and such from the file, but if, like Baughn says and the file requires libraries that don't support 98, you won't get much from it still ... Might be worth the shot :)

Tormy: Thanks for the link, I gotta explore when I have more time and my laptop ain't needed for important stuff :D

catfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »

Thanks Deto, I might look into that. Also I should point out that on the front page Dwarf Fortress is listed as requiring Windows 98+. Just something ToadyOne is hereby reminded of to change.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2008, 03:26:57 pm »

Under Linux, with Compiz-Fusion running, I get about 5500fps at default size. Running a simulation it dips down to 3000 or so. But it fluctuates so wildly its a bit hard to tell what it really is. I figured there wasn't much point in trying bigger sizes seeing that the game isn't CPU heavy and my GeForce 8600GTS never really struggles with anything. :P

For the record, the Windows version completely fails in Wine.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:53 pm »

Under Linux, with Compiz-Fusion running, I get about 5500fps at default size. Running a simulation it dips down to 3000 or so. But it fluctuates so wildly its a bit hard to tell what it really is. I figured there wasn't much point in trying bigger sizes seeing that the game isn't CPU heavy and my GeForce 8600GTS never really struggles with anything. :P

Might I also add that I'm totally psyched to possibly play Linux DF native!?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

Thats never a good sign.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2008, 04:09:41 pm »

It's the same problem - it has dependencies on the MSVC runtime we haven't quite worked out. You could, in theory, run the redistributable installer on linux to fix it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2008, 04:19:18 pm »

It's the same problem - it has dependencies on the MSVC runtime we haven't quite worked out. You could, in theory, run the redistributable installer on linux to fix it.
I was going to say.. I thought SDL had Linux (!edit sorry) headers.  I admit I haven't really played with it much.  I have been going through the code that Toady released for BC and I can't remember seeing any really ugly Windows specific headers that are difficult to work around...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:23:00 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2008, 04:19:49 pm »

Running it on a Dell Mini 9 (Ubuntu 8.04.1, 512megs RAM and the Intel graphics chip) on default fullscreen, I was getting 200-400 FPS in battle and 250-500 on the map screen.  Well done on the speed, it's quite an improvement over the 6 FPS I usually get in DF.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2008, 04:20:13 pm »

For those getting the 'not configured properly' message, like myself.  This actually appears to be a dependency on the "glu32.dll".  Some drivers have this dll, others use "glut32.dll" as the name, and yet more don't have any dll similar.  Downloading the current MSVCRT library may not correct this problem.

I am about to dig in to compiling the source code.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2008, 04:24:20 pm »

I was going to say.. I thought SDL had Linux (!edit sorry) headers.  I admit I haven't really played with it much.  I have been going through the code that Toady released for BC and I can't remember seeing any really ugly Windows specific headers that are difficult to work around...

It does. They were talking about using Wine to run the *windows* version on Linux.

An especially pointless exercise when there is a native Linux version. :P

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »

For those getting the 'not configured properly' message, like myself.  This actually appears to be a dependency on the "glu32.dll".  Some drivers have this dll, others use "glut32.dll" as the name, and yet more don't have any dll similar.  Downloading the current MSVCRT library may not correct this problem.

I am about to dig in to compiling the source code.

Sounds unlikely. GL, GLU and GLUT are all separate things.
It's very possible for GLU to be part of GL, but then you'd think.. eh, never mind. You fix it. ^_^

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »

Works fine on my machine
pentium dual core 1.6ghz
integrated gfx card (intel)
windows xp

fast

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2008, 05:07:52 pm »

GLU and GLUT are both extension libraries for OpenGL.  I will track down the specific usage soon enough.

So far on the compiling report I found a few minor things wrong.  These mostly are in the usages of #include.  This may be because I tend to have multiple different versions of a library around, in any case '#include <file>' directs the compiler to use a "standard/default" file first, whereas '#include "file"' tells the compiler to look first at the project specified include directories, then go to a "standard/default".  Correcting the SDL references in enabler.h got my compiler to use the newer libraries for this project.

My next error point is in music_and_sound.cpp.  Correcting the includes for fmod in music_and_sound_g.h cleared up one error.  I am still try to track down something else here.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 147